Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

The CONSOLIDATED Management caused it, no labor caused it THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The CONSOLIDATED Management caused it, no labor caused it THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2007, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Jalinth
How is it different? Laid off, furloughed, fired - all equal no paycheck, therefore no job. At least for FAs (the junior ones), it isn't like jobs with equal or higher salaries would be that hard to find given the economy. Maybe for pilots, furloughed and fired aren't identical given how locked into the piloting career they are, but for FAs, the words are a distinction without a meaningful difference.
The picture that is painted is quite different. Words mean things. The distinction is there whether or not you choose to take notice of it.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:57 am

I'm simply trying to be a rational voice in the sea of all people who are quick to point fingers. Usually things aren't what they seem on the surface for anything, and it's my belief that's the case with the current operational issues as well. I'm truly sorry that seems to offend so many people here, but simply avoiding facts, ignoring the other sides of the argument, and making rash judgments leads to much of the hostility and mis-information out there.
This doesn't fit with your accusations of a pilot job action, you are quick to point the finger at any one other than those who staff the airline.

What are the exact sick call numbers? Have they been published?

I find your comments one sided, rash and hostile.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by roger/wilco
This doesn't fit with your accusations of a pilot job action, you are quick to point the finger at any one other than those who staff the airline.

What are the exact sick call numbers? Have they been published?

I find your comments one sided, rash and hostile.
From the Star Tribune:
The "pilot absenteeism" rate this month was 80 percent higher than the previous June, Northwest revealed Friday.

While the majority of the absences were sick calls, company spokesman Bill Mellon said the figure included pilots taking family medical leave.
I think it's safe to say the most of us (including SchmutizigMSP) don't give NW a free ride, but we also don't buy into labor's claims of innocence.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
From the Star Tribune:
The "pilot absenteeism" rate this month was 80 percent higher than the previous June, Northwest revealed Friday.

While the majority of the absences were sick calls, company spokesman Bill Mellon said the figure included pilots taking family medical leave.
I think it's safe to say the most of us (including SchmutizigMSP) don't give NW a free ride, but we also don't buy into labor's claims of innocence.

I find the use of percentages to be misleading and possibly self-serving. How about the real numbers? How many actual sick calls did they have last year and how many this year? Hell, if only 10 called in sick last June and 80% more called in sick this June, that comes to 18 and that would not be significant enough to impact operations. So does anybody have any accurate numbers?
Old Jul 1, 2007, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarcoPolosFootprints
I find the use of percentages to be misleading and possibly self-serving. How about the real numbers? How many actual sick calls did they have last year and how many this year? Hell, if only 10 called in sick last June and 80% more called in sick this June, that comes to 18 and that would not be significant enough to impact operations. So does anybody have any accurate numbers?
I don't think it makes much difference. If they were to produce the exact numbers, the pro-union/anti-mgmt crowd would just pick nits on some other point.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:26 pm
Suspended

I don't think it makes much difference. If they were to produce the exact numbers, the pro-union/anti-mgmt crowd would just pick nits on some other point.
If an average of 18 pilots called in sick but NW canceled 150 flights a day, wouldn't that impact the discussion about the root problem?
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:48 pm

Now that sounds like someone who is anti-union/pro-mgmt. I prefer dealing with the real numbers instead of possibly misleading using a veil of percentages. Also, while we are on the subject, wouldn't a more accurate picture be drawn if we had all the sick call data for pilots for the last year? Who knows, maybe last June the pilots had a record month for a low number of sick calls and again we use "percentages" to lead us to conclusions that may or may not be accurate but instead may lead us to false conclusions?
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:53 pm

Hell, if only 10 called in sick last June and 80% more called in sick this June, that comes to 18 and that would not be significant enough to impact operations. So does anybody have any accurate numbers?
If 10 and 18 were the numbers, do you think the union would shout it from the roof tops, or would they keep quiet to protect management?
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by KenfromDE
If 10 and 18 were the numbers, do you think the union would shout it from the roof tops, or would they keep quiet to protect management?

I'm adverse to speculation. Let the numbers speak for themselves and we can refrain from all this conjecture.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:58 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Now that sounds like someone who is anti-union/pro-mgmt. I prefer dealing with the real numbers instead of possibly misleading using a veil of percentages. Also, while we are on the subject, wouldn't a more accurate picture be drawn if we had all the sick call data for pilots for the last year? Who knows, maybe last June the pilots had a record month for a low number of sick calls and again we use "percentages" to lead us to conclusions that may or may not be accurate but instead may lead us to false conclusions?
How is this any different than using the veil of percentages to explain the cut in pay/benefits that FAs have taken? ‘FAs have taken a 40% pay cut’ sounds suspiciously similar to ‘80% more pilots have called in sick’. It seems to me that BOTH labor and mgmnt. have used percentages when they feel it paints them in a more sympathetic light.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by xracer
How is this any different than using the veil of percentages to explain the cut in pay/benefits that FAs have taken? ‘FAs have taken a 40% pay cut’ sounds suspiciously similar to ‘80% more pilots have called in sick’. It seems to me that BOTH labor and mgmnt. have used percentages when they feel it paints them in a more sympathetic light.
NW has never denied the union's figure of a 40% reduction in pay and benefits.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 7:40 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NWAFA
NW has never denied the union's figure of a 40% reduction in pay and benefits.
They have also never affirmed it. Percentages are easily manipulated things. Like MPF says, "I prefer dealing with the real numbers".

The percentage game spins both ways.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by xracer
They have also never affirmed it. Percentages are easily manipulated things. Like MPF says, "I prefer dealing with the real numbers".

The percentage game spins both ways.
I have it on very good authority that my paycheck is much much smaller and my medical premiums are much much higher.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:00 pm

From the Star Tribune:

OK what all is included in the absenteeism rate? If a pilot is delayed because of wx and fails to make his next flight is he absent? What are the year over year numbers? All you have given me is a newspaper quote.

Why hasn't NWA taken the pilots union to court for an illegal job action?
That's what American did and had great success doing it.

I am not sure whether the pilots are calling in sick at a higher rate than normal or not. If NWA publishes the #s we would all know the real story. - So far it's just accusations.

As Mark Twain said "There are lies, damn lies and statistics."
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:04 pm

I disagree the raw data speaks for itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.