Unwritten Perks for Silver Elites

Old Dec 22, 00, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Unwritten Perks for Silver Elites

One of the best perks of WorldPerks is that Gold/Platinum has the benefit of first class upgrades on a plain 20000/25000 miles standard ward ticket.

On a recent travel with my friend who is a silver elite travelling on a 20000 miles standard award, I can just confirm that Silver Elite can be upgraded to first class at check-in if space is available.

Upon check-in at E-Check-in kiosk, the check-in screen kindly asked my friend if she liked to be upgraded, and she clicked yes. Voila! She was upgraded to first class in flights LAX-MSP-EWR on her 20000 miles award ticket! It was beautiful!

20000 miles award ticket can travel first class. This perk of WP really kicks ...!

[This message has been edited by VinceLee (edited 12-22-2000).]
Old Dec 22, 00, 6:47 pm

Your friend must felt great.

Not only award travel, but any travel with a last minute upgrade is beautiful
Old Dec 26, 00, 10:42 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
FYI, one difference between Onepass and WorldPerks is that OnePass members cannot upgrade award tickets on CO-- I've tried this.

Old Dec 26, 00, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by Viajero Joven:
FYI, one difference between Onepass and WorldPerks is that OnePass members cannot upgrade award tickets on CO-- I've tried this.

I am curious. If a CO elite book an award ticket travelling on NW, can he get upgrades like NW elites?

Anyone tried that before?
Old Dec 27, 00, 12:22 am

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
In August, I tried to upgrade on an award ticket (25,000) but was told that it was not possible because it was an award ticket. I was NW Silver at the time. Well, I'm going to have to read my "Gold" manual when I get it, and go for the benefits!

Linda

Old Dec 27, 00, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by Ling:
In August, I tried to upgrade on an award ticket (25,000) but was told that it was not possible because it was an award ticket. I was NW Silver at the time. Well, I'm going to have to read my "Gold" manual when I get it, and go for the benefits!

Linda

Linda, it is on page 21 of 2000 elite benefit guide.
..."Platinum and Gold elite member travelling on award tickets may upgrade on Northwest-operated flights using "discount tickets" upgrade rules on page 5;"...

You have to have the award ticket ticketed first and then you can apply the upgrade rules on the ticket. Very often if you don't have the award ticket ticketed in advance at a CTO or ATO, your award ticket would be actually ticketed very late at the time of check-in. You may lose many opportunities to apply the upgrade rules and an inexperienced gate agent may ruin the upgrade perk you ought to have in the last minute.

Therefore, I would suggest while booking award ticket, have the ticket e-ticketed first at CTO several days ahead of departure (get the e-ticket receipt). Then you have several days to let the automatic upgrade system kick in to upgrade you to first class. It is much less hassle to do the award upgrade electronically than dealing with some inexperienced nw agents.

[This message has been edited by VinceLee (edited 12-27-2000).]
Old Dec 27, 00, 1:03 am
nlp

I am a platinum. At SFO I asked them to upgrade me and they said they wouldn't upgrade award ticket. I insisted that it was possible. They went to check the rule and came back to unwillingly put me on the standby list
Old Dec 27, 00, 4:56 am

Location: Memphis, TN-SPG Platinum, HY Diamond, HH Gold, NW Platinum, AA Platinum, AVIS Preferred Select.
I am Platinum and the last two award reservations I have booked have been via nwa.com with my 2,000 mile discount certificate. I booked them less than 3 days prior to departure and called NW as I was booking them and confirmed my upgrades instantly; one segment wasn't available on both segments so I was waitlisted. The airport has on their elite sheet that award tickets should be upgraded but CO award tickets shouldn't. On a side note, I took an award trip in Dec MEM-SEA via DTW both ways on one of the award tickets and they credited me actual flight miles for the free tickets I am sure they will catch the miles being award on an W/A ticket when they audit but till then I am quiet.

Search this Thread