FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   NW E-Ticket online check-in question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/70494-nw-e-ticket-online-check-question.html)

snackyx Dec 11, 2000 9:40 am

NW E-Ticket online check-in question

I have a milage run scheduled in January from GRR-DTW-SFO-STW-GRR. This was from a fare sale weeks ago that offered cheap fares with NO Saturday night stay.

My questions:

I leave early in the morning and return that night--it is simply a fly there, wait an hour and fly back, all in the same day. If I used internet E-ticket check-in or in airport E-ticket check-in, how are the boarding passes issued if your return flight is that same day? Will it give me boarding passes for all four segemnts (2 out and 2 back), or only the outbound and having to get boarding passes in SFO for the return?

Also--if I have to check in at the counter, does anyone there really give a toot if you are strictly making a milage run with a flight out and back with a one hour layover? Since this is not a two ticket back-to-back booking, it should all be legit.

toadman Dec 11, 2000 9:44 am

You can print out both dept. and return tickets on the internet before you leave. Just select your outbound flight and then your inbound flight.

SMessier Dec 11, 2000 9:45 am

Originally posted by snackyx:
Also--if I have to check in at the counter, does anyone there really give a toot if you are strictly making a milage run with a flight out and back with a one hour layover?
If you booked a single ticket within the rules of the fares, they might be, if anything, amused that you will go to such lengths to collect miles. My answer would be, in a word, no, no toot will be given.

B747-437B Dec 11, 2000 9:48 am

Internet check-in will work for the whole itinerary. However E-Service Center checkin will only allow you to check in for each way at a time.

I have done really crazy mileage runs on NW (like ATL-MEM-GRR-DTW-ORD-MSP-SEA and back) and no one ever said a thing, except to comment "the things people do for miles..."

Go forth and have fun! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

RobertH Dec 12, 2000 10:07 am

Yup, I'd do the internet checkin. Used it this past week - worked flawlessly. AND - I got 1000 bonus miles each time I used the inernet check in process.

freefaller12k Dec 12, 2000 2:03 pm

Originally posted by SMessier:
If you booked a single ticket within the rules of the fares, they might be, if anything, amused that you will go to such lengths to collect miles. My answer would be, in a word, no, no toot will be given.
I heard some airlines are including toots in thier elite packages....might want to ask for one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

VinceLee Dec 12, 2000 5:19 pm

Although it is stated in NWA website that there is only 1000 bonus miles per check-in per confirmation number, my friend and I both got the bonus miles on the same confirmation number at the same Internet check-in in recent flights.

I got 2000 bonus miles RT. My friend got 2000 bonus miles RT, too!

nethak Dec 12, 2000 5:43 pm

Yesterday, I tried the internet check in for a flight to MEM and everything went well until the boarding pass screen. Several graphic images composing the bar codes were missing and there were familiar Internet Explorer "red x's" in place of the barcode. I was still connected and online and I tried right-clicking and choosing "Show Picture" but nothing happened.

I tried "refreshing" the screen and it gave me an error and I couldn't "Back" my way out and try again. Basically, I had to give up come to the airport as usual and have a gate agent print out a duplicate boarding pass. I'll probably still get the bonus...

At any rate, I think that this technology is fantastic and hopefully it will get better... I only wish it was flawless.

Good luck with your journey and your e-check in!!

VinceLee Dec 12, 2000 6:22 pm

Originally posted by nethak:
Yesterday, I tried the internet check in for a flight to MEM and everything went well until the boarding pass screen. Several graphic images composing the bar codes were missing and there were familiar Internet Explorer "red x's" in place of the barcode. I was still connected and online and I tried right-clicking and choosing "Show Picture" but nothing happened.

It was caused by slow Internet connection. In the Internet check-in boarding pass, there are 3 sections of barcode. Each barcode has your complete check-in information. As long as you can print out the boarding pass with at least one complete set of barcode, it would be fine to use the boarding pass.

In my recent flight from MEM-to-LGA, the gate scanner couldn't recognize the bar code on my boarding pass, the gate agent simply kept his portion of boarding pass and told me to move on. He said he would input my boarding info manually later. All things went fine and both the flight mile and bonus mile were posted promptly.

[This message has been edited by VinceLee (edited 12-12-2000).]

motnot Dec 12, 2000 10:38 pm

Mrs. motnot used Internet check-in a few days ago, but the thing wouldn't let her change seats. Seemed more like a browser problem, but there was no reason for that either.

jimmyjames Dec 13, 2000 6:58 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VinceLee:
[B]Although it is stated in NWA website that there is only 1000 bonus miles per check-in per confirmation number, my friend and I both got the bonus miles on the same confirmation number at the same Internet check-in in recent flights.

I do believe the bonus mile information you are referring to is strictly for 'booking' on the internet,

"1000 MILE ONLINE BOOKING BONUS
---------------------------------------------
WORLDPERKS MEMBERS RESIDING IN THE U.S./CANADA AND JAPAN
CAN EARN 1000 BONUS MILES WHEN THEY TRAVEL ON A RESERVATION
CONTAINING AT LEAST ONE NW/KL FLIGHT SEGMENT PURCHASED
ONLINE THROUGH WWW.NWA.COM.
ONE 1000 MILE BONUS WILL BE AWARDED PER RESERVATION
CONFIRMATION NUMBER. OFFER IS NOT VALID FOR TICKETS
PURCHASED ONLINE THROUGH CYBERSAVER RESERVATIONS OR
WITH AWARD TRAVEL RESERVATIONS."

The E-service Check-in is

"E-SERVICE CENTER 1000 MILE BONUS OFFERS-

WORLDPERKS MEMBERS WILL EARN 1000 BONUS MILES FOR EACH
ONE-WAY CHECK IN AT THE FOLLOWING E-SERVICE CENTERS:.
ATL / BNA / CLE / CHS / CMH / DEN / DFW / GRR / LAN / MBS /
MCO / MDW / MIA / MSN / PDX / STL"

jimmyjames Dec 13, 2000 7:06 am

As far as the internet-check-in printing problems, you can call NW reservations and have them open up the segment you tried to print and allow you to print another boarding pass.

[This message has been edited by jimmyjames (edited 12-13-2000).]