Wiki Posts
Search

Orphan miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2000, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Orphan miles

Hi,

I have a few (3500) "orphan" miles left in my NW account - any suggestions ? I wanted to transfer them to Hilton Hhonors, but I gather no joy...

Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2000, 2:54 am
Original Member

You can always get a magazine subscription.
Old Nov 28, 2000, 7:19 am

Originally posted by Eric the half a bee:
Hi,

I have a few (3500) "orphan" miles left in my NW account - any suggestions ? I wanted to transfer them to Hilton Hhonors, but I gather no joy...

Thanks
How about some holiday shopping...

Northwest Airlines announced a new program that will allow its WorldPerks frequent flyer members to use WorldPerks miles to make on-line purchases from more than 100 online merchants.

The web site is www.milepoint.com
Old Nov 28, 2000, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies...guess I'll just have to fritter them away on some shopping...At least it is the right time of year...
Old Nov 28, 2000, 9:25 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Be warned though that milepoint has received a lot of negative reviews in FT. Also by using milepoint you will lose any other free coupons offers and cashback at the retailers. For online shopping I would also recommend that you use the link http://www.valueconsumer.com/Search.cfm to find alternative discounts.
Old Nov 30, 2000, 6:49 am

If there is any way you can fly NW, I would redeem them on NW.

I don't think the term "orphan" needs to exist today because there are so many ways to add to accounts and flush them out instead of settling for low redemption rates elsewhere (e.g., MilePoint.com).

For example, you can quickly add to NW through a Starwood Amex or ClickRewards. If you want to redeem quick, you can top off at 20K miles for a domestic trip.
Old Nov 30, 2000, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll probably just bank them and wait for some promotional miles...
Old Nov 30, 2000, 8:11 am

The cheapest possible flight award w/NW miles is the interisland R/T on Hawaiian airlines (5000 miles). Should your travels take you this way in the near future, it shouldn't be difficult to build up your account to 5000 miles (see the recent promotional offer for signing up w/NW emails for 1000 bonus miles).
Old Nov 30, 2000, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Honu,

Thanks - signed up for those promos...
Old Nov 25, 2002, 1:01 pm

Orphan Miles

Being somewhat new to all of this and also rather careful when it comes to booking "preferred caarriers". I need to know how to launder "orphan miles" I have 6700 with NW, 2000 w/united, & 3500 w/AW. Any help on this would be apreciated
Old Nov 25, 2002, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Please see my response to your identical query in "Miles Buzz." Under the Terms and Conditions of FlyerTalk, such "cross posting" as this is highly disfavored.

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Nov 25, 2002, 4:40 pm

I'll take the opportunity of using my 5 th post on FT, to be a true humanitarian and remind you that you could always be altruistic with your unusable miles.

And welcome to FT

Old Nov 25, 2002, 5:25 pm

If you don't want to donate, how about redeeming your orphan NW miles for magazines or at milepoint.com? For details click the links for magazines & other redemption opportunities listed at:
http://www.nwa.com/freqfly/travel/
Old Jan 6, 2003, 11:35 pm

Orphan Miles

Hi,

I have about 13K Northwest miles. I can throw in some miles from my DC. But I was wondering if I can convert my NW miles into a hotel program or something. Any ideas? Thanks!

Richard
Old Jan 7, 2003, 12:34 am

Nope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.