Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Retaliation on AA's New LGA-MSP flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Retaliation on AA's New LGA-MSP flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2007, 6:54 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Originally Posted by Vegas Agent
NW will add routes, even with the idea of losing money on the deal, in order to protect another route...a good decision? I guess it has worked pretty well so far. But on the same token, NW added LAS-DSM, LAS-FSD, LAS-FAR, all in response to Allegiant "invading" the homeland market as well as LAS-FNT (in response to AirTran)...all were dropped within a year and all were money losers...weak loads (with about 30-40% of the passengers connecting to a hub from their first city) and very low fares (I don't think I saw one ticket over $249)...meanwhile, Allegiant continues their flights. Same can be said for the recently added LAS-MEM flight in response to F9...poorly timed for the hub (average connection is over 2.5-3 hours) and on a given night there are 35-50 people connecting to either MSP or DTW.
This action will probably be a replay of a few summers back, when (Frontier?) started nonstoppers from LAX-MSP. NW started the absurd DEN-LAX routing in retaliation, then dropped it as soon as the other guys dropped LAX-MSP.

I've wondered for a long time why United doesn't serve MSP from their SFO and LAX hubs. I wonder if NW would launch a response if they did . . .
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:17 pm

There is kind of an unspoken word amongst the Legacy carriers. I stay out of your backyard, you stay out of mine. Now all major cities have to be served from different airline hubs, but there are just some routes you don't touch. Our NY routes are some of the most profitable for the company. I know at one point, DTW-LGA was thee MOST profitable route we had.

AA commited a cardinal sin by offering LGA-MSP. Of course NW is going to retaliate.

I remember years ago, TWA started some route into MSP and NW hammered the hell out of TWA on STL routes until TWA backed off.

Personally, I feel NW can afford the turf wars more than AA can. After all, we just left BK and AA is still trying to cut corners.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:19 pm

Yes, I fondly remember the NW vs. F9 DEN-LAX battle of a few years ago. NW reduced the fare to $98 r.t. and was giving triple miles on the route. It was also while the fly free faster promo was on. It was my best mileage run ever.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by myleguy
Yes, I fondly remember the NW vs. F9 DEN-LAX battle of a few years ago. NW reduced the fare to $98 r.t. and was giving triple miles on the route. It was also while the fly free faster promo was on. It was my best mileage run ever.
Exactly - As stated, they clearly have a history of success doing this.

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; Jun 15, 2007 at 7:34 pm
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
AA could have started this route with RJs - they didn't - clearly seeking the high yield biz pax NW commands on this route. I'm more surprised NW didn't also attack in addition more vulnerable AA routes. I doubt AA will see much dilution with 3x vs their 15x daily.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:27 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Well, as this is a big time money route for NW (MSP-LGA) with both O/D traffic and connections, I can understand them defending it with a bit of muscle.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by rasmcasm
I doubt AA will see much dilution with 3x vs their 15x daily.
If the goal is simply to lower the yields and fares on the route, you don't need to actually transport many passengers to sting!
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rasmcasm
I doubt AA will see much dilution with 3x vs their 15x daily.
Agreed, I fly NW F LGA-DTW over AA RJs even though AA is my primary FFP. If I have to go to MSP, I might fly AA, but then again, NW still has a better schedule, plus has flights into EWR and HPN if there are ATC problems at LGA. Plus AA F service on a midcon MD80 is no great shakes, I have more than enough miles on AA, I will get my EXP status again and I can credit my NW flights to DL.

From DFW-LGA I will take advantage of any lower fares because of NW's presence, but probably would never fly them on the route for the same reason I wouldn't fly AA to MSP from LGA.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by Vegas Agent
Yes, an odd route indeed. There seems to be no limit into what NW will do to protect a market.
The understatement of the year I just love sitting back and watching
Old Jun 15, 2007, 8:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Soon to be an ex-WP PE
Originally Posted by myleguy
I didn't even know there was a FlyerTalk back then. But I also can't even remember how many times I took advantage of this offer. And everybody else in upgraded first class was doing the same thing. The schedule was great as you could do like a 2 hour turn-around. Just enough time in those days to run to the CO club and return for a reboard.

Those were the days!
Old Jun 15, 2007, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
If I have to go to MSP, I might fly AA, but then again, NW still has a better schedule, plus has flights into EWR and HPN if there are ATC problems at LGA. Plus AA F service on a midcon MD80 is no great shakes, I have more than enough miles on AA, I will get my EXP status again and I can credit my NW flights to DL.
Not sure if you are a WC or AC member, but if you are WC while at LGA or MSP you'd be able to enjoy free drinks and free wi-fi + a little better snacks in the WorldClub. Can't say that about the AC! (then again the WC at LGA is like stepping back in time).
Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by hazelrah
No, they did not do it to piss AA off. it was a legitimate business move for NW to defend its territory.
So, you're suggesting that it's merely coincidence that NW's new DFW-LGA service was announced just days after AA made their LGA-MSP announcement... and that it's just coincidence that NW decided to start their service on the very same day AA previously announced it would start its new route?

If so, either you're very misguided or you're on NWA's payroll.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nroscoe
Not sure if you are a WC or AC member, but if you are WC while at LGA or MSP you'd be able to enjoy free drinks and free wi-fi + a little better snacks in the WorldClub. Can't say that about the AC! (then again the WC at LGA is like stepping back in time).

AC member and access WC with Amex Plat - agree about drinks, snacks and ambiance. Also with the LGA, always a chance the flight will go out of C instead of D making membership moot. That said, MSP, DTW and DFW for me are generally day trips or most one night so I value frequency -- more than once returning from DTW I have traded my delayed LGA flight on NW for an EWR - something I couldnt do with AA.

PS-- I am super impressed with the DTW WCs - they blow ACs away.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 3:02 am

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cptlflyer
No. AA decided to fly a route for their own sake, which pissed-off NW. So, NW announced a TOTALLY BOGUS route (there's no WAY they could have legitimately planned LGA-DFW service in their own right) just to piss off AA.

It's just like a kid looking at a bully the wrong way and then the bully deciding to punch the kid for it. The look doesn't justify the punch, if you follow. There's a mature way to do things, and then there's NW's way
Not picking an argument at all but what would you recommend for "the mature way" to react?

Allanf
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:53 pm

i fly rt dfw-lga about 2x a month on average. if the fares on aa go down, thats great, but i wouldn't fly nwa because there just aren't enough flights. i always book the first flight out of dallas and the last one back. i never sit on the last one back. i always standby for an earlier flight. first class is nice, but seeing my family sooner is nicer. nw can't get my business without having as many if not more flights than aa.
also, this is one route. what about my lax, lhr, las, mia, ord and hkg trips? will nwa start a mini hub here in dallas? i doubt it.
all that having been said, competition is good for all of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.