Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advantages of Platinum for Intl.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2000, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Advantages of Platinum for Intl.

I have been Platinum for the last few years and fly almost entirely international (US-Europe). This year I am close on qualifying and can't see any important diferences between Plat. and Gold. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for advice.
Old Oct 31, 2000, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond - 4MM
If you fly WCB you earn upgrade certifictaes (from the NW Elite Member Guide):

"Confirmed International Upgrades:

WorldPerks Platinum Elite members can earn free First Class upgrades for future international trips with overseas travel in First or World Business Class.

To Receive: Two one-way upgrade certificates from World Business Class to First Class valid on Northwest-operated flights only.

Simply Fly: Four qualifying one-way trips on Northwest, KLM and Northwest-designated partner flights, when traveling on a purchased First Class or World Business Class ticket in the following travel regions:

Between North America & Asia-Pacific
Between Asia-Pacific & Europe
Between North America & Europe
Between Asia-Pacific & Africa
Between North America & Africa
Within Asia-Pacific
Between North America & Indian Subcontinent

Qualifying Travel Dates: Between the effective date of your 2000 WorldPerks Platinum Elite membership and February 28, 2001.

Please allow four to six weeks after your qualifying international travel to receive your upgrade certificates."

------------------
"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."

--Vice President Al Gore
Old Oct 31, 2000, 4:47 pm

Location: Memphis, TN-SPG Platinum, HY Diamond, HH Gold, NW Platinum, AA Platinum, AVIS Preferred Select.
With the elimination of F/C on Asia flights, there is no benfit for Plat upgrades. To Europe, there were never any since it is only a two cabin aircraft.
Old Oct 31, 2000, 7:44 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
The benefits of platinum ( and gold) are indeed slim for the international traveller. Perhaps a better seat in coach, and an occasional operational upgrade over the water.
Old Oct 31, 2000, 10:39 pm
RKG

Joe747:

Were you only asking about upgrades? One difference between Gold and Platinum is the bonus miles. Gold receives 100% bonus (of flight miles) and Platinum receives 125%. It may not seem like much, but on a BKK to SFO run it adds about 4,000 more miles.

jtg_seattle:

There has been a change regarding the F/C upgrade certs. With the elimination of F/C, the certs given are now from full fare coach to WBC. The previously issued (and un-used) F/C certs can be traded in for new certs or 25,000 miles. This must be done by Feb 28, 2001.

RKG

[This message has been edited by RKG (edited 11-01-2000).]
Old Nov 1, 2000, 9:26 am

you mean there aren't any vip anytime upgrades for qualifying for platinum?

why am i going through the drama of trying to qualify?
Old Nov 1, 2000, 10:48 am

Well, there are the unwritten perks. My wife (gold elite) and I (platinum elite) were just upgraded to WBC yesterday from LGW to MSP as an operational upgrade due to overbooking in economy. Tickets were issued in Q class. Admittedly, though, there is not much advantage internationally. The first class upgrade domestically at 72 hours is the biggest extra.

Esteban
Old Nov 1, 2000, 11:42 am

Programs: AA-2MM Lifetime Platinum
I have to say that when I would not upgrade with miles and hope for the operational upgrade for trips to Asia, I had better luck with being Silver or Gold than with Platinum.

I have yet to get an operational upgrade as a Plat. This is probably due more to the flights I happened to be on, but one time I asked for one (DTW-NRT) and was told WBC was full. About ten min. later 2 people were called to the podium and were given WBC seats. As they walked away I saw the Elite tags on their carry-ons. One person was silver and one person was gold. I went back to the podium to ask what was going on and was told that those people had used certificates. Sound possible?

The rational for taking better care of silver and gold elites for Asia upgrades is that as a Plat, they figure they already have your business, but maybe they can get additional business form silver & golds. Also, as a plat they figure you have enough miles to upgrade and would rather have you do that.

Maybe I am totally nuts here, but I honestly had better luck with operational upgrades before I became Platinum.
Old Nov 2, 2000, 10:34 am

typical nw bass-ackwards thinking!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.