Trans-Pacific upgradeable fares on NW

Old Oct 31, 00, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat
Trans-Pacific upgradeable fares on NW

Is it true that tickets booked in "Y/Y2" fare class are eligible for upgrades to World Business Class on NW for flights to Asia? This was the impression I received from a NW agent... This seems extremely restrictive, particularly vis-a-vis United's policy of allowing "H" class fares and higher to be upgraded--and not an incentive to fly NW.
Old Oct 31, 00, 2:05 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
What exactly do you mean by "upgrade"?

Mileage: Of course. You can upgrade from any full-fare (Y or Y2) with mileage as long as "C" revenue business class seats are available.

Travel agent: I purchased a one-way Y2 ticket to Manila from a travel agent yesterday, and the travel agent called a Northwest sales representative to upgrade it to business class. Quite a deal since I saved $900.

A bunch of travel agencies offer incentive upgrades from full-fare to business class on many airlines.

- Pat
Old Oct 31, 00, 2:09 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
martina:
I think it depends where you book. I've read that thru NW, using NW miles, it takes a high fare class to upgrade. I am a CO platinum elite. Within the past two monts I have upgraded flights from the NYC area to BKK, SIN, and TPE. In each case the fare class was K or V (~$850-$1,000 RT). Since I booked it thru CO, the only apparent issue was the availability of "d" class seats on NW. "d" on NW does not display on ITN. However, "d" on the continental code share (NW plane) does display, but it always appears to be "0". The only way I have found to be certain before I call CO for the ticket and upgrade is to go to the awards section of Worklperks and see if there is a free ticket in Business Class available on the day I want to travel. If there is, then there should be an upgrade seat available, since it appears that they come out of the same bucket, "d"? I admit it is very confusing, and to me at least, it appears that I have an advantage as a CO elite booking and upgrading NW metal to Asia.
Old Nov 1, 00, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat
Thanks for the insights, Vulcan. Ironically it sounds like being CO Elite when flying NW has its advantages.....
Old Nov 1, 00, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA-2MM Lifetime Platinum
I don't think it makes any difference if you are CO or NW elite and are trying to upgrade a coach ticket to Asia.

A ticket booked in V class, the cheapest ticket available in the ORD-BKK market and currently $863.80, IS upgradable, however there have to be D seats available, which is very difficult to find. This is a change (back in Aug, I think) from previous policy where there only had to be C seats available.

You can upgrade a full Y fare ticket into WBC from the C bucket, and this is what the agent might have been trying to say.

Again, I really don't think CO elites have an advantage over NW elites when trying to upgrade on NW metal.

Search this Thread