Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

What's worth more in the eyes of NW: NW Gold or CO Plat?

Old Sep 26, 00, 5:41 am
Original Poster

[This message has been edited by FQTV (edited 10-06-2000).]
Old Sep 26, 00, 8:32 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Worth more? Or worthless?

Shouldn't the CO Platinum have priority?
Old Sep 26, 00, 10:15 am

all airlines take care of their own first. you can't tell me co treats nw elites like they treat their own, so vice versa i'm sure does apply.
Old Sep 26, 00, 10:55 am

Location: Memphis, TN-SPG Platinum, HY Diamond, HH Gold, NW Platinum, AA Platinum, AVIS Preferred Select.
As far as waitlisting goes, NW adds it elites to the waitlist if the upgrade seats aren't available at the time the Elite members calls and that list rolls over to the airport. So a CO elite can only be waitlisted at the airport on an NW flight while a WP members...whether plat, gold, or silver will already be on the list and have priority for the F/C seats when they are released. I agree with Ionman that NW treats their elites first ad foremost than CO and vice versa so it depends on who you want to fly with more often. Personally, since CO comps plat and gold to anyone with Plat or gold status somewhere else, they will have a lot of Plats and golds calling at midnight trying to upgrade on NW flights while the NW elites have already been upgraded between 5-8 central time that evening leaving few seats left.
Old Sep 26, 00, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Old Sep 26, 00, 3:41 pm
Original Member

Well in terms of priority for upgrades. A CO platinum is ahead of a NW Gold.

And when flying on CO flights, a NW Platinum is ahead of a CO gold.

I'm Platinum on Continental and have been upgraded 100% of the time this year on NW.
On two occasions its been a standby FC upgrade in which only one seat opened up and I got it. Both of those flights were MSP-LGA and I'm sure there were NW golds and platinums that didnt get an upgrade.

Is this fair?

I think it is. One of the parts of the NW/CO partnership is reciprical elite benefits. By doing this CO and NW give their platinums a great benefit, high upgrade chances on each others airline.
Old Sep 26, 00, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA MM, BV Titanium, HH Diamond
I really don't know if there are some NW agents that will (if they are able) give preference to an NW Gold over a CO Platinum, but as the latter, I have almost always been treated with the utmost care by NW personnel. I have also been upgraded 100% of the time this year, always on the three day advance call.
I did however miss a standby upgrade at MSP last year (early on at right at the beginning of the alliance) when I was told that there were four seats left when I checked in at SEA five hours earlier and watched at MSP as others were given the seats before me. I find it difficult to believe that all of them were higher on the check-in waitlist than I was or all had bought Y tickets at the last minute, and since that was before NW had automated its standby lists, so I can only guess that that particular unsmiling agent was preferring NW elites over a CO.
Old Sep 26, 00, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Old Sep 26, 00, 5:56 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
Monitor, I feel I had the same treatment at MSP. Am told this is called 'politics' on the part of the gate agents upgrading a no status female.
Old Sep 26, 00, 7:40 pm

I spoke to a friend who is a CO gate agent and his *official* statement (for all its worth) is that CO will treat CO Elites higher than NW within a level, but that a higher level with either airline will earn higher priority.

Simply translated, we have :

CO Plat > NW Plat > CO Gold > NW Gold > CO Silver > NW Silver

I assume that NW reverses the priority to favor NW Elites.

Looks fair to me.
Old Sep 26, 00, 10:03 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If properly applied, it surely IS!
Old Sep 26, 00, 10:47 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
From my limited experience on "Northworst" I can say that as a Continental Platinum, I was given the same indifferent customer service as the NW elites.
Old Sep 28, 00, 12:14 am
UpUp&Upgrade

"Can't we all just get along" ...

Let's please stop the trash talking like "North-Worst" or "CO is better."
That sounds like the "my dad can beat up your dad" talk of grade-school kids.

The NW/CO Alliance is the best "elite" alliance in the biz because your flight miles on either count toward elite status and they have the best combo for unlimited domestic upgrades (others like TWA have unlimited domestic UG's, but fly to far fewer locations, etc.).

And, yes, I have been treated the same for domestic standby upgrades by NW as I have by CO (which I am Plat with).

Search this Thread