Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada, passports, and MSP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2007, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Canada, passports, and MSP

Apologies in advance if this has been covered recently and my search failed to turn it up:

This is my first adventure into Canada since the Department of Total Paranoia has required passports. The itin is EWR-MSP-YVR. Where during the trip out are they going to want to see passports, so I can have them ready??

Bonus question: Where's a good place to grab a bite in the morning at MSP, since I'm really not going to want breakfast at 5 AM in EWR

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 4, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, BD GE
Schmutzig is in the airport about 78% of the time, you could probably get a coffee with him.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL GLD; AA GLD; CO GLD
At check-in at the EWR desk, alternatively at the gate in MSP, and on the return in YVR at the US customs/imm desk there
Old Jun 4, 2007, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by nathockens
Schmutzig is in the airport about 78% of the time, you could probably get a coffee with him.
I am?

They'll want to see your passports at EWR check-in and perhaps at the gate at EWR, then again once you arrive into YVR.

Oh, and the French Meadow Bakery in the main concourse (North side, near the intersection of the C, D, E gates) would be a good place for breakfast.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 3:47 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by berkeleybum
At check-in at the EWR desk, alternatively at the gate in MSP, and on the return in YVR at the US customs/imm desk there
And the last detail...Once you'll cross the Canadian Border in YVR...we do have customs as well in Canada, so you'll have to show your passport once again...
Old Jun 4, 2007, 4:42 pm

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
My only Canadian experience since the new passport regulations has been in Toronto and they were pretty nice about it. They did seem to be giving non US/Mexico passports a bit more of a once over, but I was through in less than 10 minutes.

If only it worked like that when entereing the US at Atlanta or Detroit.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Super Larry
And the last detail...Once you'll cross the Canadian Border in YVR...we do have customs as well in Canada, so you'll have to show your passport once again...
Larry:

Drove across to Niagara Falls recently after a bowling tournament in Canandaigua. Admittedly, was on a beer and cigar run. The woman at the immigration checkpoint grilled me for several minutes, guess she thought I was coming a little too far to see the falls After much adieu, she let me pass ... but not once looked at my identification. Somehow, I doubt she would have been amused if I said the purpose of my visit to Canada was "brador and cohibas"

Thanks to all for the assist. I don't fly the tail much since they pulled the avros out of ABE. Now THAT was an RJ worth flying, but I'm preaching to the choir now. And since the ARJ went to DTW ... I've never been inside MSP
Old Jun 4, 2007, 8:12 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver
Larry:

Drove across to Niagara Falls recently after a bowling tournament in Canandaigua. Admittedly, was on a beer and cigar run. The woman at the immigration checkpoint grilled me for several minutes, guess she thought I was coming a little too far to see the falls After much adieu, she let me pass ... but not once looked at my identification. Somehow, I doubt she would have been amused if I said the purpose of my visit to Canada was "brador and cohibas"
Car crossing is crap shoot. They can ask, but they may not. Crossing at airport is definitely a show time for passport.

Good luck and enjoy our visit to YVR!
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:17 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I am?
seems like it
They'll want to see your passports at EWR check-in and perhaps at the gate at EWR, then again once you arrive into YVR.
they also ask you to have it in hand when boarding in MSP. They don't even need it open. Just to verify you have it with you
Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver
Apologies in advance if this has been covered recently and my search failed to turn it up:

This is my first adventure into Canada since the Department of Total Paranoia has required passports. The itin is EWR-MSP-YVR. Where during the trip out are they going to want to see passports, so I can have them ready??

Bonus question: Where's a good place to grab a bite in the morning at MSP, since I'm really not going to want breakfast at 5 AM in EWR

Thanks in advance
On your outbound trip, you will have to show your passport at EWR and go through Canadian Customs at YVR -- on your return, you'll go through US customs at YVR --procedure there is to get you're boarding pass, go through the duty free store, then go through US customs and INS, then put your checked luggage on the belt --- the good news is they don't charge for luggage carts at YVR.

My recommendation would be to keep the passport handy until you've cleared security on the outbound and until you've cleared INS on the return.

Bob H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.