Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Paid Upgrades on NW flying to/from Hawaiʻi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid Upgrades on NW flying to/from Hawaiʻi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I did my dummy booking without logging in and asking from the
start for WBC upgrade, this was MCO-HNL and it popped up w/o
problems. I am a little surprised for this April booking, I was
under the impression that upgrades to HI were hard to get.
Class of ticket?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
Class of ticket?
I don't have it up anymore, but it was a L fare ( I think ).
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I don't have it up anymore, but it was a L fare ( I think ).
If it were an L fare that's okay. It's T & K that are restricted from non-elites.

"Non-Elite WorldPerks members may no longer use miles to upgrade to First Class on domestic itineraries when purchasing Northwest T and K type fares or Continental V, Q, T, S and L type fares." nwa.com
Old Mar 7, 2008, 6:44 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
When you check the box, does the price of the ticket not increase? I remember doing this one when logged in with a non-elite account (a dummy search), checking the box and seeing the price increase to book it in a higher fare class. What might also happen is that no upgrade may be applied. Proceed with caution.
I didn't check the box the first time before posting my question, so I just went back and tried it. The price did not increase (I am NW Silver according to the reservation screen, but I thought I had dropped back to no status). I haven't gone any further than that because I don't have enough miles yet - waiting for 20k from the Visa card. The main question still remains though, is this a guaranteed FC upgrade?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Richard1148
I didn't check the box the first time before posting my question, so I just went back and tried it. The price did not increase (I am NW Silver according to the reservation screen, but I thought I had dropped back to no status). I haven't gone any further than that because I don't have enough miles yet - waiting for 20k from the Visa card. The main question still remains though, is this a guaranteed FC upgrade?
No. Once you check your box, make sure that the flights change to First. Sometimes NW will allow you to upgrade for 35k R/T and only the non-overwater segment(s) will be upgraded.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
No. Once you check your box, make sure that the flights change to First. Sometimes NW will allow you to upgrade for 35k R/T and only the non-overwater segment(s) will be upgraded.
Yes they did change to Booking Class R/First. Thanks, I didn't notice that before. I hope now that it will be that easy when I have the miles posted from the Visa card.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
In early May, I will fly NWA metal HNL-MSP-JFK, on a ticket that was purchased from DL and as a DL codeshare flight (in T class). There is a change of flight number and plane in MSP.

Will being on a DL codeshare affect my ability to purchase a day-of-departure upgrade HNL-MSP?
Any recent experiences on paid, day-of-departure upgrades?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:12 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are no day of departure
upgrade opportunities HNL-MSP. And I highly doubt it's even
a possibility on a DL ticket ever. Even though it's a codeshare.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are no day of departure
upgrade opportunities HNL-MSP. And I highly doubt it's even
a possibility on a DL ticket ever. Even though it's a codeshare.
There are DoD upgrades available on all routes to/from HNL. The problem is finding availability. Just make sure to get to the airport early and make it the first thing you request.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 3:09 am

There are DoD upgrades available on all routes to/from HNL. The problem is finding availability. Just make sure to get to the airport early and make it the first thing you request.

OK, I stand corrected. I am on a B fare OGG-SEA Apr 30. Are you
saying then that there is a possibility of DoD upgrade? What's
the going price? Probably not worth it for the 5 hrs.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:57 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
What time is the earliest that I can get my DOD upgrade for my 5pm flight please? I don't want to show up at 7am only to find that it's not availabe until 2pm.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

OK, I stand corrected. I am on a B fare OGG-SEA Apr 30. Are you
saying then that there is a possibility of DoD upgrade? What's
the going price? Probably not worth it for the 5 hrs.
Reports here indicate that a Plat flying to/from the West Coast pays $175. The non-elite rate is $250, IIRC. Probably not worth it, but that's very subjective. Doesn't earn EQM bonus from the upgrade so not worth it to me.
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
What time is the earliest that I can get my DOD upgrade for my 5pm flight please? I don't want to show up at 7am only to find that it's not availabe until 2pm.
4 hours prior to departure, when the flight becomes open for airport check-in.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:14 am

Reports here indicate that a Plat flying to/from the West Coast pays $175. The non-elite rate is $250, IIRC. Probably not worth it, but that's very subjective. Doesn't earn EQM bonus from the upgrade so not worth it to me.
I'll second that. Have an exit seat anyway, so don't see a problem. Now
I am more concerned about the soft drink situation. Will bring my box
lunch ( or dinner as it may be ), but how to get the soda cans thru TSA? Bummer.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'll second that. Have an exit seat anyway, so don't see a problem. Now
I am more concerned about the soft drink situation. Will bring my box
lunch ( or dinner as it may be ), but how to get the soda cans thru TSA? Bummer.
Soft drinks are and will still be free. See the "changes to the in-flight dining" thread.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 1:21 am

Soft drinks are and will still be free. See the "changes to the in-flight dining" thread.
Good, now I can relax. Thanks for pointing me to the thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.