Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Paid Upgrades on NW flying to/from Hawaiʻi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid Upgrades on NW flying to/from Hawaiʻi

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2007, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
What was the fare difference from Y to F? $350.00 each way is an incremental $700.00 and I have to believe that what you would have paid is pretty close to what you are willing to pay at the gate. Just curious.
I paid $470 for the BOS-HNL flight and ended up buying the upgrade both directions. So for $1170 I got a pretty good overall experience. The WBC seat definitely made the flight very tolerable and I certainly didn't mind having the space to stretch out and sleep plus the two meals served. I'm not sure if you can get an F itinerary MSP-HNL for that amount of money plus tacking on an economy segment BOS-MSP which was upgraded automatically.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I paid $470 for the BOS-HNL flight and ended up buying the upgrade both directions. So for $1170 I got a pretty good overall experience. The WBC seat definitely made the flight very tolerable and I certainly didn't mind having the space to stretch out and sleep plus the two meals served. I'm not sure if you can get an F itinerary MSP-HNL for that amount of money plus tacking on an economy segment BOS-MSP which was upgraded automatically.
Yes that is a great deal. I have not priced HNL FC in a while and I was surprised at the cost (about $3k). I am sure demand is up with the new 330 service from MSP.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by mkenwayx
I flew MSP-HNL last June...checked in around noon I think, and paid the 350 for the upgrade...you can't do it on the kiosks though, and the agent in the elite/FC (my companion was already in F) didn't really want to talk to us, so I kind of had to pull teeth to do it.
I have flown to the East coast many times from HNL via MSP and back. As a matter of fact, I flew a RT via MSP to HNL last week. You can get upgrades at the kiosk. I have been offered them a couple of times when returning to HNL from DCA. I think the upgrade was $250, if my memory serves me correctly. I did not think it was worth it and I have flown a few times from MSP-HNL on the A330 in FC.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Unless you were on a Y or B fare already, you will only earn 100% EQM. Up-buying to F on flights does not alter your paid fare class for the ticket, only your flown fare class. This means it will post as "F/x" in your WorldPerks account and unless x = Y or B, you will only get 100% EQM.

You may still have to fly this year to achieve Plat status on NW.

-RM
You're right, I didn't get any extra miles for the upgrade, but -- on my return NRT-LAX, the flight was over two hours late, causing me to miss the LAX-LAS flight for my overnight in LAS. Rather than fly in coach on US and get there several hours later than planned, I decided to abandon it and go straight home a day early. The agent agreed to this, but it turned out she booked me P/P, and today I was credited with 150% EQM for those flights, so I need less than the 2500 EQM I'd get from the 60K ExtraPerks to reach 75K.

Nevertheless I've booked a flight to visit my mother this month, so NW should be happy, and I'm happy that I'll get to use that 2500 EQM bump next year.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
I'm a little confused about UG'ing to HNL.

I'm on SEA-HNL-PDX in January, I have Gold status, and there is R class availability in both directions. Doesn't this mean I can just call and UG for 17,500 miles each way per PAX, regardless of whether it is the 757 or A333? I have been weighing whether to do this.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by psychtobe
I'm a little confused about UG'ing to HNL.

I'm on SEA-HNL-PDX in January, I have Gold status, and there is R class availability in both directions. Doesn't this mean I can just call and UG for 17,500 miles each way per PAX, regardless of whether it is the 757 or A333? I have been weighing whether to do this.
Seems like that should work, yeah. SEA-HNL isn't one of those international routes where you have to buy a high fare in the first place to be able to upgrade.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite
Indeed, I did it... burned 300,000 miles for my wife and I to fly rulebuster F MSP-HNL RT in February.

Based on the dearth of perksaver awards out there [to anywhere I want to fly], I valued those miles at about $3,000 or $4,000... say $1,700 cash value per RT ticket in F.

I didn't think it was completely terrible deal. The cabin made the flight seem very short and tolerable, esp on the red eye return leg. Meal/wine/booze isn't anything to write home about. It was fun for my wife to experience the WBC seats.

At gate upgrades might be a slightly better deal ($700 ticket + $700 RT upgrades? assumes you got a pretty good deal on your coach seat). The problem is that you risk running into a full cabin, whereas the rulebuster RT locked the seats up, and of course as plat you can always cancel out if needed.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by MSP2SEA
Indeed, I did it... burned 300,000 miles for my wife and I to fly rulebuster F MSP-HNL RT in February.
Sweet mother of pearl.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by KtownTraveler
Sweet mother of pearl.

There is no better way of saying it!!! Well spoken.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 7:54 am

Programs: ECExec, SPGTitanium,, UAPlat
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
What is the earliest time that you can request a day of departure upgrade for cash? At the time of check-in at the airport or is it ever offered via OLCI? Can you call in to request it?

The reason I ask is whether it's worth making a trip out to the airport on a return from HNL if your flight isn't until evening.
I don't know about HNL, but going to the airport at OGG early for our evening US flight didn't get us anywhere. (except first in line when they finally opened up the check-in) US contracts TA's and they don't arrive one minute before they have to. In our case it was around 7:00 for a 10:00 p.m. departure,

Good Luck!
Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by KtownTraveler
Sweet mother of pearl.
Cough, cough, gulp...that is 12 Domestic roundtrips (in First most of the time if Plat) cough, cough, gulp.... I can't add anything to: "Sweet mother of pearl" either.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 1:26 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
So I bit the bullet and burned 35k miles for the 2 of us to upgrade SEA-HNL on the 8:40 am A333. We've never flown up front across any large body of water, unless you count Lake Michigan.

We're looking forward to trying out the seats. I understand the service is standard domestic (ie, the food and alcohol). What about the AVOD? Is that turned on and fully functioning? Any other comments about what to expect?
Old Dec 19, 2007, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by psychtobe
We're looking forward to trying out the seats. I understand the service is standard domestic (ie, the food and alcohol). What about the AVOD? Is that turned on and fully functioning? Any other comments about what to expect?
AVOD is turned on. Expect mai tais, maybe cookies and milk, and a standard domestic meal.

You'll love being in WBC on a trip to/from Hawaii. There's really no other way to fly (except for maybe CO's BF service).
Old Dec 19, 2007, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by slippahs
AVOD is turned on. Expect mai tais, maybe cookies and milk, and a standard domestic meal.
Cashews with diced dried tropical fruit?
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:42 am

Programs: DL-Diamond & 1MM; HH-Diamond; Marriott-Gold
sorry for my ignorance, but do you have to have an upgradable fare (B, Y) to do the $350 upgrade at the airport? Or is that $350 cash upgrade available to all classes?

Also, since no automatice elite upgrade is available for Hawai flights, does that mean an elite purchasing a Y fare upfront won't be automatically upgraded at time of purchase?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.