Caribou Coffee

Old Jun 3, 07, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Caribou Coffee

Recently I had a Caribou Coffee "higher-up" on my flight in FC. I noticed he was with Caribou, because the logo was on his tie. Anyhoo, I asked him if Caribou Coffee was based in the MSP area. He said yes, it is. I then asked why NWA didn't feature Caribou Coffee in our Inflight beverage selection. He said Caribou has been trying to make a deal with NWA for years, or something like that. I told him I would try to tell NWA somehow that we need to feature their coffee.

Anyway, if you're tired of the brown swill on NWA, please tell NWA to feature Caribou Coffee. They listen to you guys, they don't listen to us.

Even if you're not a fan of Caribou, at least it's better than what we have now, and we need to show pride in MSP-area companies.
Old Jun 3, 07, 3:08 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Northwest has always been good about featuring local stuff....James Page beer, Lee Ann Chin food....I'd love some Caribou!
Old Jun 3, 07, 4:25 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Well on my next get together with Ms. Boda, I'll bring it up... they are/have implemented a few suggestions I've brought up... so you never know I did bring this up about a year ago, in the regard that they were running ads with the new WBC seats and the CEO of Tulleys coffee... and I was like "why don't you do a tie-in..." think it's all been a $$$ issue...
Old Jun 3, 07, 6:32 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
IF they got caribou coffee on the flights that would be really "Exciting"
Old Jun 3, 07, 6:52 am

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
Consider this alternative - sitting in international business or first on Air France and being served their premier coffee, freeze-dried Nescafe.

Aside from enjoying real fresh-brewed coffee, I'd hope any change keeps the bags for stronger coffee. Years ago when NW carried Caravali onboard, the single bag would make weak coffee, so many crews would double-bag in preparation (and I was very appreciative!).
Old Jun 3, 07, 7:42 am

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
Coffee

I'v never heard of Caribou coffee, but anything wet would beat what they serve now. I'v never had a good cup of coffee on Northwest. But then, I don't like Starbucks either, so maybe it's just a matter of personal taste.
Dave
Old Jun 3, 07, 8:02 am

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)
A few weeks ago I was going to post asking why NW doesn't use Caribou coffee...Caribou is slowly expanding and this would be advertising for them (my question is, do you really want your advertising to be inflight coffee...?). Delta seems to use name brands more to their advantage than NWA does...let's hope this works! Maybe we could get bonus miles for purchases of coffee, etc.
Old Jun 3, 07, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
I would vote for this to be the most exciting thing for NWA this yr. If they can pull this one of and get caribou for the coffee of choice for the airline.

I always make the extra walk down to G1-6 to get Caribou if i am out in G or C
Old Jun 3, 07, 10:51 am

Programs: nwa Plt since '00,aa, dl, jal, np, hi
I'd be happy with free drinks (or even drink coupons for PLT members) for the flights over the Pacific again.
Old Jun 3, 07, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
For those who have not heard of Caribou, it is a gourmet coffee company based in MSP. Stores in 18 states, plus D.C. (www.cariboucoffee.com)

It is the best cup of coffee out there and I would love to enjoy Caribou onboard a NWA flight!
Old Jun 3, 07, 11:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mkenwayx View Post
(my question is, do you really want your advertising to be inflight coffee...?).
To this point, how many of us have sampled the "Starbucks" on Horizon? Believe me, it is just as nasty as NWA-Blend. That's a company that can afford to pimp their brand a little for some extra revenue. Caribou... for many passengers this would be their first taste. And better beans might not be able to overcome the equipment and water.
Old Jun 3, 07, 11:59 am

Programs: NW: In the back of the bus
This would be excellent! I avoid NW's coffee like I avoid the CRJ-200s! Give me a little Obsidian Roast and the most surly of FA's are no problem!

But seriously, this tie in would be beneficial to both companies. With Caribou being the second largest coffee chain in the world, and next to unheard of in many major markets, the exposure would be a boon. Northwest has talked about service improvements post BK, and this would be an easy one to implement. Who needs "Mile High Mojitos" when you have a quality dark roast?
Old Jun 3, 07, 12:48 pm

Caribou makes a great cup of coffee. But every time Caribou makes a big deal the whole Arcapita thing comes up. I don't know if any airline wants to get mixed up with that.
Old Jun 3, 07, 1:00 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I think this could backfire for Caribou, or any premium brand for that matter. As mentioned, there is only so much that can be done onboard an aircraft to make coffee. Then they serve it lukewarm to avoid liability of spills - so I hear. I rarely drink coffee onboard and when I have I have never gotten a hot cup.

Do you really want the first impression of your company to be a cold paper/styro foam cup of coffee brewed in a 40 year old DC9, with airplane tank water, sitting in the last row middle seat next to the lav? Caribou can control how their coffee is served in their stores by training people to use proper equipment in the proper environment. They lose control in an airplane.

Plus I like 7-11 coffee better. French roast is great, plus many other flavors with all the fixin's at $1.29 for a 24 ounce cup.
Old Jun 3, 07, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)
Originally Posted by motytrah View Post
Caribou makes a great cup of coffee. But every time Caribou makes a big deal the whole Arcapita thing comes up. I don't know if any airline wants to get mixed up with that.
What's the Arcapita thing???

You could even change roasts on a monthly basis with a blurb in the magazine about the blend...they have more than enough, and almost all are outstanding (no Daybreak for me!).

Search this Thread