one way pricing

Old Jun 1, 07, 2:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
one way pricing

I did a search and could not find anything. Why are one way tickets double the price of a round trip ticket? It makes no sense that one way is $400 and the same trip with a return flight is $200.
Old Jun 1, 07, 3:05 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Econ1 View Post
I did a search and could not find anything. Why are one way tickets double the price of a round trip ticket? It makes no sense that one way is $400 and the same trip with a return flight is $200.
I have long since resigned myself to the fact that airline pricing is like the Internal Revenue Service - "If it sounds logical, it is probably wrong."

The situation you describe occurs when there is little or no competition on the route. If you look for example at MSP-CHI or MSP-ATL, you will see that is not the case. FL flies that route, so they keep both OW and RT costs down. Same with other markets and other LCC's.
Old Jun 1, 07, 3:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
It likely has to do with price discrimination. By requiring round trip tickets, and usually a stay over Saturday night, airlines can identify leisure travelers, who are more price sensitive, and offer the lower price to them. The restrictions are unfavorable to business travelers, who are less price sensitive, and who are the group more likely to want one-way tickets. Of course, it is not just business travelers who are less price sensitive. People who need one-way tickets need them, and thus are also less sensitive to price, on average.
Old Jun 1, 07, 3:48 pm

check with DL

I recently purchased a one-way ticket and chose to go with NW to fly over MSP from west coast to east coast. I found that DL was much more reasonable for west coast to east coast and did not force you to buy a B fare ticket, at least not when I checked. And I think you can still get miles with DL on NW.
Old Jun 1, 07, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Econ1 View Post
Why does it matter?? Just buy the RT and set the return for 12 months out and if you can use it, great, if not who cares? Just a thought.
Old Jun 1, 07, 4:05 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Wouldn't take technically create a back to back ticketing always having an open return?
Old Jun 1, 07, 5:08 pm

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615103
Old Jun 1, 07, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
Why does it matter?? Just buy the RT and set the return for 12 months out and if you can use it, great, if not who cares? Just a thought.
I believe that throw away ticketing might risk your elite status and miles. Might not happen, but if it does, sucks to be that person.

http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/elite/benefits.shtml
"So that we can continue to maintain the integrity of the WorldPerks program, we will investigate all accounts that we believe violate the WorldPerks terms and conditions, our Contract of Carriage or fare tariffs. This includes hidden-city routing, back-to-back ticketing, point-beyond ticketing, throw-away ticketing, and violation of WorldClubs membership rules. Accounts with infractions will be subject to appropriate penalties or deductions, including but not limited to revocation of Elite status, termination of account and forfeiture of miles."

Last edited by molof; Jun 1, 07 at 5:24 pm Reason: mistake in posting
Old Jun 1, 07, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by molof View Post
I believe that throw away ticketing might risk your elite status and miles. Might not happen, but if it does, sucks to be that person.

"So that we can continue to maintain the integrity of the WorldPerks program, we will investigate all accounts that we believe violate the WorldPerks terms and conditions, our Contract of Carriage or fare tariffs. This includes hidden-city routing, back-to-back ticketing, point-beyond ticketing, throw-away ticketing, and violation of WorldClubs membership rules. Accounts with infractions will be subject to appropriate penalties or deductions, including but not limited to revocation of Elite status, termination of account and forfeiture of miles."
All they do is not credit the return miles of your trip, since you did not fly them. Now if you did it every day it might be another thing, but I do it every now and then and have not had any issues.
Old Jun 1, 07, 5:34 pm

NW is pretty uncompetitive in this regard, particularly with tickets to/from Canada. Air Canada only prices in one-ways for North American travel, and NW is almost always far far more expensive.
Old Jun 1, 07, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by molof View Post

Hmm, thank you, I did not know that. I assumed that you would still be eligible fro the EQM's you did fly (you would not get the return miles if you did not fly anyway) but never though they would care if you paid fro a seat and did not take it. Interesting.
Old Jun 1, 07, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
NW has had terrible one way prices for years, they just don't want to compete in that market for whatever reason. It was a major frustration of mine when I was flying NW more frequently several years ago since occassionally I only needed a one way and came home by car etc.

Within Skyteam both CO and DL usually have good priced one-ways (many routes are half of the round trip but not all of them). AA also offers good one way pricing most of the time as does US.
Old Jun 1, 07, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
You can occasionally get lucky on competitive routes as fti mentioned in their reply. I just picked up a PHX-MSP one-way for $120 a/i. If US and SY weren't in the market, it might have been a different story...
Old Jun 1, 07, 9:28 pm

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
I've cancelled the return leg of a trip a few times in the last couple years. I just call the elite line and tell them my business trip got fubared and I have to cancel the return. Sometimes that leg is available for reuse for a surprisingly long time. No ill effects so far.
Old Jun 1, 07, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite
Same story. Plenty of unused returns out there under my name... sometimes by accident, sometimes by design. No one has taken my status away so far

Search this Thread