Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Who/where to address a customer service issue

Old May 31, 07, 6:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*

Hello--

A co-worker of mine (not on FT) has an issue that came up on a recent DTW-AMS trip. Early in the flight, the FA accidentally spilled nearly scalding coffee on her daughter, resulting in burns and blisters on her chest. The FA provided ice in a rubber glove at first, which leaked, and was very short lasting. The 2nd attempt to get help resulted in ice in a large garbage bag, again leaking and not long lasting. Finally, they were able to get the lead FA, who did an incident report (did not give them a copy), and went into the first aid kit and gave them an ice pack and ointment.

This flight was the 2nd leg of a PHX-DTW-AMS-FCO trip where they were part of an organized tour for 2 weeks. The coffee burn resulted in blistering that impacted their enjoyment of the trip. She still has scars over 3 weeks later.

I've told her to write up a letter with all the details, but she doesn't know where to send it. Any ideas? What, if any, compensation would be reasonable to ask for?

Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 07, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Wow, I thought for sure I'd get several replies in a day. I can only imagine the comments this would have gotten over on the US forum. Seems the NW forum is a bit more tame...

Anyway, my thought was to send it to the address on nwa.com, and email, possibly copy the DOT (not that they could actually do anything). The coworker is more interested in making sure the FAs are properly trained in this than actually getting anything (although she wouldn't turn down anything offered). If anyone has any better suggestions, feel free to either reply or PM me.

This doesn't sound like the NW service I'd expect, but since I wasn't there, I'm relying on a co-worker's story. Back when I flew NW more actively (late 80s to mid 90s), I recieved a $200 voucher after a flight I was on (SEL-DTW in biz) was 45 min late into DTW; I had to wait for a DTW-ABE anyway, so it wasn't a biggie. But I did use the voucher for a nice SEA-HNL-SEA vacation (not sure if NW even does that route anymore). I got hooked on NW with their AMEX college coupons ($99 travel in US), then for travel to Asia when I was in the military and grad school. Their customer service was always superior, and I continued to fly them after I moved to PHX, but eventually tired of hub transfers in DTW, MSP, or both, and gave in to HP (now US).

Last edited by aztimm; Jun 1, 07 at 6:44 pm
Old Jun 1, 07, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Wow, I thought for sure I'd get several replies in a day. I can only imagine the comments this would have gotten over on the US forum. Seems the NW forum is a bit more tame...

Anyway, my thought was to send it to the address on nwa.com, and email, possibly copy the DOT (not that they could actually do anything). The coworker is more interested in making sure the FAs are properly trained in this than actually getting anything (although she wouldn't turn down anything offered). If anyone has any better suggestions, feel free to either reply or PM me.

Back when I flew NW more actively (late 80s to mid 90s), I recieved a $200 voucher after a flight I was on (SEL-DTW in biz) was 45 min late into DTW; I had to wait for a DTW-ABE anyway, so it wasn't a biggie. But I did use the voucher for a nice SEA-HNL-SEA vacation (not sure if NW even does that route anymore). I got hooked on NW with their AMEX college coupons ($99 travel in US), then for travel to Asia when I was in the military and grad school. Their customer service was always superior, and I continued to fly them after I moved to PHX, but eventually tired of hub transfers in DTW, MSP, or both, and gave in to HP (now US).
If you send it to TTU You WILL get a reply in a couple days. That will give you a contact person to deal with. https://www.nwa.com/talk/ttu.html
Old Jun 1, 07, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
Send it here
http://www.nwa.com/plan/comm12.html

Currently Kristen Shovlin, Director - Customer Care and Refunds, is Northwest's single point of contact for customer complaints. She serves as the ombudsman for Northwest Airlines and has a dedicated staff of representatives to assist with resolving customer complaints. She can be reached at:

Northwest Airlines
Customer Care
PO Box 1908
Minot, ND 58702
Phone: 701-420-6282
Fax: 651-367-8459
Old Jun 1, 07, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

It sounds like they have a real system in place for this, which is great. The few times I've emailed US, the first reply is always a copy/paste canned reply that usually doesn't have anything to do with why I contacted them, the 2nd time may work (usually not), but by the 3rd exchange, we can usually resolve any issues.

Doesn't NW have an online chat like US? It is a nice feature, where you get agents here in AZ, when it works.
Old Jun 1, 07, 11:20 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
No on-line chat, but we do have Scoopy

Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Doesn't NW have an online chat like US? It is a nice feature, where you get agents here in AZ, when it works.

Search this Thread