Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

WP EQM percentage for CO flights with AS code

Old May 30, 07, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE

Does anyone have any info regarding AS tickets using CO metal? Specifically, I have the option of an AS itinerary with either NW or CO metal in the connection. The NW website shows for CO flights what fares get only 50% for all the of the SkyTeam airline codes, but no reference to what AS codes get what EQM percentage.
My first call to the PE line got the response that whatever the CO codes were for 50% would also be the same for an AS code -- which doesn't seem right. Should I try again on the phone -- the agent had me on hold for a while as she checked with "another desk". Or is this another unknown grey area?

Any ideas??
Old May 30, 07, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP (spouse).
metal matters. who's flying the plane? if CO then use CO fare class to determine EQMs. If AS then it will be 100%. Doesn't matter who's selling the ticket.
Old May 30, 07, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by psychtobe View Post
Doesn't matter who's selling the ticket.
Well...that's not entirely accurate.

Take for example a Delta-coded, Continental-operated flight booked in "U" class. Normally, a Continental-coded, Continental-operated "U" ticket would earn 100% EQMs/EQS when credited to NW. But when it's Delta-coded and still Continental-operated, it earns 50% EQMs and no EQS. Normally we're safe whenever we book anything from Delta.com as far as EQMs are concerned, but here's one clear example where you wouldn't be.

That's just one example. There are a number of other examples similar to this which is why it's always a good idea to refer back to the "earning miles" page on nwa.com for clarification.

Mill Creek Don, since there does not seem to be any specific scenario listed for AS-coded, CO-operated, I would always assume the greater of two evils and assume that you would get the CO equivalent for that fare class. So, if that means 50% EQMs and you want or need full EQMs, I would suggest a mixed AS/NW itinerary, or an entirely AS itinerary if possible. Best of luck.
Old May 31, 07, 12:17 am

Programs: AS MVP (spouse).
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP View Post
Well...that's not entirely accurate.

Take for example a Delta-coded, Continental-operated flight booked in "U" class. Normally, a Continental-coded, Continental-operated "U" ticket would earn 100% EQMs/EQS when credited to NW. But when it's Delta-coded and still Continental-operated, it earns 50% EQMs and no EQS. Normally we're safe whenever we book anything from Delta.com as far as EQMs are concerned, but here's one clear example where you wouldn't be.
In the case you describe it is because a DL-coded U, CO-operated flight books into a CO class (unspecified) which earns 50% EQM and no EQS. The missing piece of information is exactly which CO class the first flight books into; based on the fact that it is only 50% EQM, we can guess it's not CO class K,N,B,V,U,O, or Y. Conversely, a CO-coded, CO-operated U books into CO class U, which earns 100% EQM and 1 EQS.

Again, it's not the class fare of the flight you book, or the coding carrier. Whatever class it books into on the operating carrier determines your miles. In the OP example, it is necessary to know which CO fare class the AS-coded ticket books into. It's the operating carrier's metal and fare class which determines miles. Regardless of what AS calls/codes the flight as (could be Y, H, Q, purple, or Zimbabwe), the ticket will show up in CO's system with a CO code. That is what is needed to determine miles.

Search this Thread