FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   TPE - PEK or HKG on NWA PerkSaver Award (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/697577-tpe-pek-hkg-nwa-perksaver-award.html)

paulj2k May 27, 2007 10:19 am

TPE - PEK or HKG on NWA PerkSaver Award

Hey guys, I'm trying to add a stopover on a trip I have to TPE next week, and need the city to be either HKG or PEK. Currently My routing is DTW-Osaka-TPE, TPE-Osaka-DTW. I want to go DTW-Osaka-TPE-PEK/HKG-DTW.

I am trying to go from TPE to one of those two cities anywhere between June 9-11th. I have seen that there are flights back from both PEK and HKG around June 12th.. the problem is getting there.

Does anyone see any availability? If not, any suggestions on very cheap airfare out of TPE to one of these two cities? Thanks!!

yogimax May 27, 2007 10:28 am

One additional consideration if you are planning a stopover.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you need a Chinese Visa for Beijing but not for Hong Kong.

humanoid94 May 27, 2007 10:29 am

Korean Air flies TPE-ICN-PEK. To add that segment, though, you will need to call NW and find a very sympathetic telephone agent.

KE 692

Taipei (TPE)

12:15 PM

Seoul (ICN)

03:40 PM

7h50min

KE 853

Seoul (ICN)

07:00 PM

Beijing (PEK)

08:05 PM

humanoid94 May 27, 2007 10:30 am

As far as the visa goes, assuming you are an American you will definitely need a visa for PEK but not for HKG.

paulj2k May 27, 2007 10:38 am

Ahhh great thanks for your help. I'll have to look up and see if there is a landing Visa I could get in PEK. I'll give NWA a call and look up that itinerary through Seoul though!

Also, has anyone flown to TPE and had to use a landing visa?

Yankflyer May 27, 2007 10:41 am

Originally Posted by paulj2k (Post 7805966)

Also, has anyone flown to TPE and had to use a landing visa?

If you have a US passport, that's all you need in Taiwan

mrcimino1 May 27, 2007 10:48 am

There are no flights (and no fares) between TPE and PEK! Since the two countries don't recognize each other (and haven't for about 50 years), you have to fly to a third country first and then take another flight and pay another fare in order to get to PEK. It's like flying from the US to Havana--you have to fly to Canada first and purchase another ticket from there.

There are plentiful flights TPE-HKG, but it depends on what you consider "very cheap" to mean. I saw less than $300 US for a one-way, plus a hotel room in HKG that will most likely be more expensive than one in TPE.

If you don't want to change your return, you could always simply fly back to TPE and then use your original return flight to the US. There is a late night flight back to TPE around midnight arrving at 1:30am, spend a couple of hours in the airport, and then check in for your flight back on NW, thus saving a night of hotel cost. Or fly back earlier in the evening and get a cheap room near the airport in TPE before you fly home.

There are lots of ways to make it work, but maybe the best thing to do is wait until you are in TPE and contact a local Travel Agent there to arrange a two-night air/hotel vacation package for you, with flight to and from HKG. In the end it will probably be a lot cheaper than anything you could do yourself using published airfares.

mrcimino1 May 27, 2007 11:02 am

Regarding the visa for visits to Mainland China (PRC) I believe you must have it in advance, prior to boarding a flight to there. No visa = denied boarding! Someone can correct me if I am wrong on this. Chinese visas can be obtained at land border crossings, but it helps to be fluent in Mandarin, and even then they can still take some time. HKG is going to be a much easier destination than PEK.

paulj2k May 27, 2007 11:16 am

Originally Posted by mrcimino1 (Post 7806002)
There are no flights (and no fares) between TPE and PEK! Since the two countries don't recognize each other (and haven't for about 50 years), you have to fly to a third country first and then take another flight and pay another fare in order to get to PEK. It's like flying from the US to Havana--you have to fly to Canada first and purchase another ticket from there.

There are plentiful flights TPE-HKG, but it depends on what you consider "very cheap" to mean. I saw less than $300 US for a one-way, plus a hotel room in HKG that will most likely be more expensive than one in TPE.

If you don't want to change your return, you could always simply fly back to TPE and then use your original return flight to the US. There is a late night flight back to TPE around midnight arrving at 1:30am, spend a couple of hours in the airport, and then check in for your flight back on NW, thus saving a night of hotel cost. Or fly back earlier in the evening and get a cheap room near the airport in TPE before you fly home.

There are lots of ways to make it work, but maybe the best thing to do is wait until you are in TPE and contact a local Travel Agent there to arrange a two-night air/hotel vacation package for you, with flight to and from HKG. In the end it will probably be a lot cheaper than anything you could do yourself using published airfares.

Thank you.. I see, that's interesting. I knew that you couldn't fly directly from TPE to PEK but I didn't know that no airlines offered fares from the two cities.. that makes sense though :) One of the reasons why I want a stop over is that I want to stay in Taipei until around the 9th or 10th and my ticket has me leaving on the 7th (there is no availability after the 7th). But I'll look closely into HKG right now and see. That's interesting though, its easier to get into HKG and it is now part of China..

mrcimino1 May 27, 2007 11:51 am

Shame on you! Always provide all of the details in the FIRST post, if you want to receive the best answer!!

Since returning from TPE on a later date seems to be the problem, just buy a one-way to HKG and return from there.

While it is now "officially" part of Mainland China, HKG will remain a Special Administrative Region (SAR) with it's own rules and regs until well after you and I complete our time on this earth! Go there and enjoy it!

AsiaTraveler May 27, 2007 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by mrcimino1 (Post 7806047)
Regarding the visa for visits to Mainland China (PRC) I believe you must have it in advance, prior to boarding a flight to there. No visa = denied boarding! Someone can correct me if I am wrong on this. Chinese visas can be obtained at land border crossings, but it helps to be fluent in Mandarin, and even then they can still take some time. HKG is going to be a much easier destination than PEK.

I believe the border visas may only be for day visits, or something along those lines. I went to Guangzhou for a short visit (3 days) and was told to do all visa stuff in advance by friends in Macau. We did do a border visa when just crossing into China for the day. A travel agent in Hong Kong or Macau may be able to do a visa for you in about 24 hours, though- that's how I got mine.

AsiaTraveler May 27, 2007 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Yankflyer (Post 7805978)

Incorrect. It depends on the length of stay. For visits of 2 weeks to 4 weeks (I think), you need to get a landing visa at the airport (doesn't seem to be relevant to the OP though).

flytofly May 27, 2007 10:29 pm

WP award chart says "Flights within or between Northern Asia and Southern Asia on Korean Air require 50,000 miles for Coach"

Vs. 20,000 miles on NW

Originally Posted by humanoid94 (Post 7805927)
Korean Air flies TPE-ICN-PEK. To add that segment, though, you will need to call NW and find a very sympathetic telephone agent.

KE 692

Taipei (TPE)

12:15 PM

Seoul (ICN)

03:40 PM

7h50min

KE 853

Seoul (ICN)

07:00 PM

Beijing (PEK)

08:05 PM

kb1992 May 28, 2007 9:55 am

Originally Posted by mrcimino1 (Post 7806002)
There are no flights (and no fares) between TPE and PEK!

Do a search on nwa.com:

TPE-PEK is priced at $2,200 in Y

avidflyer May 28, 2007 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Yankflyer (Post 7805978)

TPE yes but you need a Visa for Mainland China.