FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   World Club age limit? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/696002-world-club-age-limit.html)

Econ1 May 22, 2007 4:33 pm

World Club age limit?

Do you really have to be 21 to get into the World Club?

avidflyer May 22, 2007 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Econ1 (Post 7780902)

Yes. They serve booze so it essentialy a bar..a nice comfy one though.

BobH May 22, 2007 4:59 pm

No -- but only if you have your parents with you. <lol>

To be a member you must be 21, but some members are allowed to bring family members in....

Bob H

kcnwa May 22, 2007 5:30 pm

You sure do. There are multiple threads here abour people under 21 being turned away from the club as well as as turned away from purchasing memberships.

Saabaru May 22, 2007 5:41 pm

As stated above, with a legal guardian / parent, they do allow kids in.

As far a getting a membership, I would think that you have to be 21 as stated above.

Econ1 May 22, 2007 6:18 pm

I can't believe that, I'm sure there are many other frequent travelers under 21 that are usually without their parents...they must be losing business, not only from club memberships but from attracting young frequent fliers. I frequent US Airways clubs and they serve alcohol as well, when I travel first class there is also alcohol so that really isn't a justifiable reason, unless there are vodka fountains that members have free access to alcohol shouldn't cause a ban for people under 21.

humanoid94 May 22, 2007 6:24 pm

NW Worldclubs are also all self-service (except for DCA and IAD, archaic Virginia law), thus there would be no way to control whether or not a minor had access to the booze. There was a thread a couple weeks ago where one poster reported that the State of Michigan tried to sting NW at DTW to determine whether or not an under 21 minor could get access to the booze at the WC, fortuantely the Worldclub agents kept out the undercover minor agent otherwise we would probably have similar restrictions at the DTW club now.

avidflyer May 22, 2007 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Econ1 (Post 7781411)
I can't believe that, I'm sure there are many other frequent travelers under 21 that are usually without their parents...they must be losing business, not only from club memberships but from attracting young frequent fliers. I frequent US Airways clubs and they serve alcohol as well, when I travel first class there is also alcohol so that really isn't a justifiable reason, unless there are vodka fountains that members have free access to alcohol shouldn't cause a ban for people under 21.

I go for the Jack D Fountain :) Based on what I see every week the WC is not only doing well, they are doing a little too well. It has been packed every time I have been in DTW or MSP the last Month or so (at least 10 seperate occasions)

troyintn May 22, 2007 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Saabaru (Post 7781240)
As stated above, with a legal guardian / parent, they do allow kids in.

As far a getting a membership, I would think that you have to be 21 as stated above.

I often take my kids in. I think it is only to buy a membership. I am sure if you had a J ticvket they would let you in though.

kcnwa May 22, 2007 6:44 pm

No, there have been reports here of people in WBC being turned away

avidflyer May 22, 2007 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by troyintn (Post 7781485)
I often take my kids in. I think it is only to buy a membership. I am sure if you had a J ticvket they would let you in though.

A J ticket will make no difference. Particularly after the sting operation, the "gate keepers" are going to be extremely sensitive to this. I believe that not only would the club lose its licence, folks who are supposed to check Membership cards and ID could be held personally responsible relative criminal charges...at least that is how it works with store operators and clerks.

kcnwa May 22, 2007 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Econ1 (Post 7781411)

WC's are doing very well financially. New ones are opening, expansion of food selection, updates, free wi-fi, and may other amenitites not offered by other clubs.

Alcohol is self serve at most locations, very few are behind a bar.

As far as first class, while many don't, I have seen several times FA's card passengers that look questionable, and you do not have access to it without going through a FA.

railroadtycoon May 22, 2007 6:59 pm

frequent US Airways clubs and they serve alcohol as well, when I travel first class there is also alcohol so that really isn't a justifiable reason,
Correct me if I am wrong, most US Air lounges (aside from the Envoy lounge) do not serve free complimentary alcohol.

NWA's worldclubs do, and in *most airports are self-service.

As for First Class, there is a system in place where someone is supposed to verify your ID/Age before serving you a drink. So I'm not sure how that can compare to a unattendant self-service bar.

Econ1 May 22, 2007 7:02 pm

I didn't realize it was self-serve, US has a bar service.

Looks like I'm confined to the gate area during my connections

SchmutzigMSP May 22, 2007 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Econ1 (Post 7781662)
Looks like I'm confined to the gate area during my connections

Find someone in the WorldClub meeting thread to guest you in. They can be your "legal guardian" if they ever card you. But most of the time they don't card guests.

Them's the rules, though. Past abuses have required that they adhere to these policies. Think of it like you're waiting for a bus in the rain: if you were over 21, you could slip into the corner bar and wait it out, even if you didn't plan to consume alcohol. Yet, being under 21, you'd be stuck at the bus stop in the rain. So, bring boots and an umbrella and make the best of it.

(In this metaphor the corner bar is the WorldClub, the bus stop is the gate, the rain would be all the things we hate about waiting at the gate, and "boots and an umbrella" might mean a book and an iPod.) ;)