Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World Club age limit?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2007, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by Econ1
I can't believe that, I'm sure there are many other frequent travelers under 21 that are usually without their parents...they must be losing business, not only from club memberships but from attracting young frequent fliers.
No way, if the amount of people at any given time is an indication, I would say just the opposite, they must be rolling in the dough lol

I don't really see how the WC relates to their FF program though as stated in your post.
Old May 22, 2007, 8:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pragakhan
I don't really see how the WC relates to their FF program though as stated in your post.
If someone under 21 travels a lot, a lounge may be important to them. When choosing an airline to accrue miles and status with, that person may choose another airline that will allow them into their lounges. Hence in the long run they will have lost a younger traveler that has many more years of traveling ahead of them. That person may switch airlines in the future, but it is more likely they will stick with their original airline if they are satisfied. NW may lose the opportunity to attract frequent fliers when they are younger, assuming lounge access is important.
Old May 22, 2007, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Econ1
If someone under 21 travels a lot, a lounge may be important to them. When choosing an airline to accrue miles and status with, that person may choose another airline that will allow them into their lounges. Hence in the long run they will have lost a younger traveler that has many more years of traveling ahead of them. That person may switch airlines in the future, but it is more likely they will stick with their original airline if they are satisfied. NW may lose the opportunity to attract frequent fliers when they are younger, assuming lounge access is important.
Find U.S.-based airline with a club age limit < 21 and report back to us. I suspect if it serves complimentary booze, under 21s will not be welcomed as members.

Last edited by 3Cforme; May 22, 2007 at 8:25 pm
Old May 22, 2007, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Find U.S.-based airline with a club age limit < 21 and report back to us. I suspect if it serves complimentary booze, under 21s will not be welcomed as members.
I'll do it for him. As previously reported, US Airways Club membership terms have a membership limit of 18 years old. Scroll to the bottom of this page and you'll see this:
Terms of Membership

* Memberships are non-refundable and non-transferable.
* Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
* Prices, location and services subject to change without notice.
* Membership cards are for the sole use of the cardholder and my not be loaned to others.
And if you attempt to join United's Red Carpet Club at 18 years old, you'll also be allowed:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0...e=RelatedLinks
Membership

* Memberships are non-refundable and non-transferable.
* Membership is open to individuals 18 years of age and older.
* Members agree to receive e-mail notification of member offers and renewal notification.
* United reserves the right to terminate or deny membership at any time by advising the member or prospective member and returning a prorated share of the dues payment.
* In connection with a membership purchase, a spouse/domestic partner membership may be purchased at a discounted rate. A copy of the marriage certificate or an affidavit of marriage/spouse equivalency is required to obtain a membership card for a spouse/domestic partner with a different last name.
Not to be out done, however, American Airlines also allows 18 year olds to possess memberships:
http://www.aa.com/content/images/abo...conditions.pdf
Membership
Membership is open to all persons 18 years of age or older.
American reserves the right to terminate or deny membership at any time by advising the member or prospective
member and returning a pro-rated share of any dues payment previously received by American.
In connection with a membership purchase, a spouse/spousal equivalent/domestic partner may be added
to your membership at a discounted rate. You are required to certify the identity of and certain other facts
regarding your spouse/spousal equivalent/domestic partner using a Spouse/Spousal Equivalency/Domestic
Partner Certification made available by American at time of enrollment.
Old May 22, 2007, 8:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Same problems in international clubs?

Any < 21 year-old flyers have problems entering airport clubs abroad? I'm not sure of any country that cares as much about the minimum drinking age as we do in the US. It's not without good reason though; too many helicopter parents in this country would relish the opportunity to sue an airline on behalf of sweet but drunk little Jack or Jill. I can hear it now, "NWA has hurt my child and now I need compensation!"
Old May 22, 2007, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
AA, UA and US all allow 18 year olds to join. AA, UA and US do not serve complimentary alcohol - it's $5 please.

DL, CO and NW all require members to be 21 years old. DL, CO and NW all serve complimentary alcohol.

As a 21 year old Crown Room member, my general experience is it's extremely easy to get alcohol. In my several visits to DL, CO and NW lounges, I've only been carded once - the DL Crown Room at SEA. At several NW WorldClubs, I've helped myself to pouring a Heineken for myself. This obviously could be a problem if a U21 was allowed into the club without a guardian (who would thus be responsible for said U21), as they could easily get themselves a beer and since there's no bartender, no one would stop them. That's why it's important (and that's the difference from UA/US/AA) that they be denied entrance - the matron is essentially the keys to the bar and serves the role of the bartender checking IDs. If they had a bartender at every club who was the only one allowed to serve alcohol (no self-serve, which is a in my opinion), then youcould conceivably allow 18 year olds in, but with the abundance of self-serve booze at the clubs, you have to deny entry.
Old May 22, 2007, 9:48 pm

I am 19 and fly out of DTW about 10 times a year alone. When I was younger than 18 I could always get my dad (who has a WC membership) to get a pass to let him through security, and then he would get me in the lounge even though he was not the ticketed passenger, they would always let us in the club. Now that I'm older than 18 I can't get my dad to come with me through security, but I've still had luck. I go in and ask the agent at the front if there is anyway I can use the internet connection (I claim I am not going to eat anything) I've been turned away in DTW a couple times, but never yet in SFO, MEM, NRT, HKG and CUN
Old May 22, 2007, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Find someone in the WorldClub meeting thread to guest you in. They can be your "legal guardian" if they ever card you. But most of the time they don't card guests.
I wonder what legal liability can be if you let someone in under 21 as a guest, they get hammered, then do something outrageous...?
Old May 22, 2007, 10:37 pm
formerly jameskwon

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
I am Under 21, and eager to get the membership:-:

Why do I fly NW? while I can purchase US/UA/AA ?

well I am going to buy lifetime ones, and in the long run,
waiting couple more years is worth than paying $5 a glass.

also NW has best IFE, In seat power than any other carriers.
(not domestic, but who cares if they let you fly upfront )
Old May 23, 2007, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kcnwa
You sure do. There are multiple threads here abour people under 21 being turned away from the club as well as as turned away from purchasing memberships.
If you are under 21, you cannot prchase a membership. I take my kids with me all the time. They are now 9 and 14.
Old May 23, 2007, 12:38 pm

Becareful with the "Guest you in" method as occassionally the WC agents will card one's guest. It is pretty infrequent, but a couple months ago one of the WC agents at DCA carded my (three years older than me) guest.
Old May 23, 2007, 12:43 pm

What's ironic is that in a number of states, including Minnesota and Michigan, it's legal for an 18, 19, or 20-year-old to work as a bartender. Heaven knows someone too young to legally drink but who works as a bartender would never get tempted and sneak a drink every now and then.
Old May 23, 2007, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by slippahs
I wonder what legal liability can be if you let someone in under 21 as a guest, they get hammered, then do something outrageous...?
Precisely!

To answer your question, everyone involved would be liable.
Old May 23, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Yaatri
If you are under 21, you cannot prchase a membership. I take my kids with me all the time. They are now 9 and 14.
Should have clarified... Under 21 W/O a guardian and purchasing... Sorry! Many times I accompanied my dad into WC's before I was able to get my own.

Now me all growed up!
Old May 23, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
DCA almost always carded my guests.

Originally Posted by humanoid94
Becareful with the "Guest you in" method as
occassionally the WC agents will card one's guest. It is pretty infrequent, but a couple months ago one of the WC agents at DCA carded my (three years older than me) guest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.