Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Malaysia (MH) First Class Awards: No Longer Available After August 1st

Malaysia (MH) First Class Awards: No Longer Available After August 1st

Old May 22, 07, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Exclamation Malaysia (MH) First Class Awards: No Longer Available After August 1st

I have not seen this posted here yet, so apologies in advance if I missed it.

According to http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/earn/a...shtml#malaysia,
Effective August 1, 2007, First Class awards on Malaysia Airlines-operated flights will no longer be offered.

This is a major blow to my reward travel preferences and a devaluation of the WorldPerks program. MH F was one of the few truly great rewards that was available... I think this leaves TN as the only proper "F" class available.

When did NW slip this one onto the website?
Old May 22, 07, 5:53 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Its been a long time since we could book a 1st award with MH from LAX - Asia.

Perhaps MH will eventually be let into SkyTeam?
Old May 22, 07, 6:01 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I believe F is not available on any NW partners that fly 3-class planes. AF and KE come to mind... and I so wanted to try MH F on the 380...

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK View Post
I have not seen this posted here yet, so apologies in advance if I missed it.

When did NW slip this one onto the website?
Old May 22, 07, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum; UA Gold MM; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thezipper View Post
I believe F is not available on any NW partners that fly 3-class planes. AF and KE come to mind... and I so wanted to try MH F on the 380...
That's pathetic.

No matter how many miles we accumulate in WorldPerks, we won't ever see the inside of an international first class cabin when using those miles. In contrast, competitors like UA offer first class redemption opportunities aplenty on world class airlines like SQ.
Old May 22, 07, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer View Post
That's pathetic.

No matter how many miles we accumulate in WorldPerks, we won't ever see the inside of an international first class cabin when using those miles. In contrast, competitors like UA offer first class redemption opportunities aplenty on world class airlines like SQ.
AA and UA do offer first class redemption, but it should be noted that they also have first class international cabins while NW does not. I think that this is at the core of the problem.
Old May 22, 07, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime gold, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What a shame.
IMHO, MH's F offers the best service among NW's partners (better than AF or KE's F).
I doubt this award will be back even MH joins skyteam.
Old May 22, 07, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE
Does that mean that come August 1, you won't be able to book an F award (for later travel), or that the last day to fly on an F award on MH will be 8/1??? The wording is unclear to my mind's way of thinking.
Old May 22, 07, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
It seems to me it's a reciprocity problem pure and simple. Customers of NW's partners can't book F on NW; ergo, NW customers won't be allowed to tie up F inventory on partner metal.
Old May 22, 07, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
It seems to me it's a reciprocity problem pure and simple. Customers of NW's partners can't book F on NW; ergo, NW customers won't be allowed to tie up F inventory on partner metal.
True but a partner booking NW WBC is getting a better product than *most* other carriers Biz class in the ST. I also would like to know if that is a book-date or fly-by date. If it is book-by them I shall be going after one.
Old May 22, 07, 8:26 pm

MH doesn't even offer F on many of its newer aircraft. As I recall, they've been undergoing a huge revamping of their interiors to a newer C/Y model like NW has. Sure, they still have F in a lot of their 744s that service LAX, but it's hard to even find F-equipped aircraft within Asia, and I understood they were moving toward that for the whole fleet.
Old May 22, 07, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum; UA Gold MM; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
Why does MH care? Doesn't it get compensated at a correspondingly higher rate for first class redemptions than business class redemptions? And doesn't NW get to clear more miles off the books?
Old May 22, 07, 10:19 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I have FC LAX-KUL next January, I booked it a couple of months ago. Have tickets in hand.
Old May 22, 07, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA1K, AA EXP, CO Plat, BD*G, NW, DL, Priority Club, SPG & Marriott
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer View Post
That's pathetic.

This is the main reason why I stop maintaining my elite status with WP. Eventually, I will drop SkyTeam, keep Star Alliance and add OneWorld.
Old May 23, 07, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by jestabillo View Post
This is the main reason why I stop maintaining my elite status with WP. Eventually, I will drop SkyTeam, keep Star Alliance and add OneWorld.
I'm tempted now more than ever; main goal for me was booking MH F between Europe and Asia.

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP View Post
MH doesn't even offer F on many of its newer aircraft. As I recall, they've been undergoing a huge revamping of their interiors to a newer C/Y model like NW has. Sure, they still have F in a lot of their 744s that service LAX, but it's hard to even find F-equipped aircraft within Asia, and I understood they were moving toward that for the whole fleet.
Correct; MH now only offers F on its 747-400 fleet, the 777s were all converted to 2-class with similar seats to what AF offers on its 777 fleet. However, MH's 744s are equipped with F sleeper seats a-la SQ. So yes, it's a small part of their fleet that even offers F, but still on key routes for me... and IMHO MH F is sublime and worth any diversion necessary to get on it. But then I redeem miles for the experience more than any practical reason so maybe this impacts me more than others who use their miles just to get from Point A to Point B.

Originally Posted by thezipper View Post
Actually, F is currently available on TN and MH and has been for some time. AFAIK the only airlines that have applied this reciprocity rule to NW are those you've mentioned. Somewhere a few months ago I did a post comparing all the international F options available with WorldPerks miles, that thread's got some good info in it.

I slept on this and woke up this morning even more disappointed. With the upping of Europe->South Pacific mileage requirements and now the elimination of F awards on MH, WorldPerks is looking worse and worse for me all the time. Yes, as a US expat in Europe I'm a very small subset of the NW crowd. But I've avoided switching to FB due to customer service issues and some of the vagaries of their system, but now I'm tempted more than ever to either do this or go to *A where the grass isn't necessarily greener but at least there is the chance of F. Hmm... we'll see.
Old May 23, 07, 7:01 am

This is the issue I'm writing Bob Sokup about. I would think well thought out snail mailed letters from WorldPerks members at this point may convince him to change his mind.

If anything, Bob should be pushing to EXPAND International First Class options to all SkyTeam partners who offer First Class, not just maintaining the soon-to-disappear F award option on MH. OneWorld and Star Alliance are looking better and better for the business traveler who spend the bucks (the people that Bob & co. really care about) and accumulate the miles for the worthwhile perks.

TTU is okay for many things, but nwa.com website comments in this particular case will be ultimately ineffective (actual rational arguments and reasoning don't translate to the dry "we got this many complaints about X and Y" statistics that end up on some V.P.'s desks).

Please write out a short letter to Bob Sokup today, while there's still time!

Search this Thread