FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Question about Elite Program Year (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/695936-question-about-elite-program-year.html)

standardgirl May 22, 2007 1:43 pm

Question about Elite Program Year

According to NW website, you can accumulate miles towards EL based on calendar year, that's 1/1/2007 to 12/31/2007 for Elite status until 2/28/2009. But based on our experience in the 2006 program year, it seems like they actually allowed you to accumulate miles in January the following year (that is, accumulating mile flown in Jan, 2007 for the 2006 program year). Is this official? or is there an official "grace period" in NW's EL program?

I wasn't able to find it anywhere on their website, but since I will be about 3,000 miles short to be a Plat this year based on current travel plan and will be flying in early Jan, 2008. I would like to get some idea about this.

Thanks in advance.

fromYXU May 22, 2007 1:54 pm

No grace period.

For status, miles from Jan 1 to Dec 31 count.

Some get higher status but that usually has something to do with increased activity late in the year.

Jaimito Cartero May 22, 2007 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by standardgirl (Post 7779814)
According to NW website, you can accumulate miles towards EL based on calendar year, that's 1/1/2007 to 12/31/2007 for Elite status until 2/28/2009. But based on our experience in the 2006 program year, it seems like they actually allowed you to accumulate miles in January the following year (that is, accumulating mile flown in Jan, 2007 for the 2006 program year). Is this official? or is there an official "grace period" in NW's EL program?

I wasn't able to find it anywhere on their website, but since I will be about 3,000 miles short to be a Plat this year based on current travel plan and will be flying in early Jan, 2008. I would like to get some idea about this.

Thanks in advance.

The Elite Extra Perks promotion has 2500 EQM as a bonus for the 60k level. This is about the only magic bullet, other than flying, that I'm aware of. Time to start planning a mileage run.

yogimax May 22, 2007 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by standardgirl (Post 7779814)
But based on our experience in the 2006 program year, it seems like they actually allowed you to accumulate miles in January the following year (that is, accumulating mile flown in Jan, 2007 for the 2006 program year). .

Please share your experience. What you are suggesting would be a departure from the norm.

AND

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!!

standardgirl May 23, 2007 11:46 am

Originally Posted by yogimax (Post 7780825)
Please share your experience. What you are suggesting would be a departure from the norm.

AND

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!!

Thank you.

Last year, we made a trip on business class from US to Asia on NWA. We left in late December and didn't fly back until Jan 6th, 2007. My 2006 elite qualifying mile is 16,xxx miles (8 segments). However, after flying back from Asia to the US in Jan, I earned an additonal 12,xxx miles, which were posted under 2007 elite qualifying miles. Then, I noticed that I got upgraded to Silver elite at about the same time. I am now Silver until 2/29/2008.

Somehow, NW didn't get my mother's FF number on our flight back from Asia. I soon requested the credits from NW, and the miles were then added. Mom didn't get Silver elite status, but we have the exact same amount of elite qualifying miles in 2006. I told mom to send an email to NW and she did. Her silver elite status was then maintained until 2/29/2008 (she was already silver).

The only way to get the 25,000 miles needed, NW must have use our 12,xxx miles flown on Jan 6, 2007. But this is not normal? I know some Asian airlines would allow you to be elite if you fly in Jan, since it's only a few days off......

Any other thoughts?

avidflyer May 23, 2007 11:51 am

Originally Posted by standardgirl (Post 7786439)
Thank you.

Last year, we made a trip on business class from US to Asia on NWA. We left in late December and didn't fly back until Jan 6th, 2007. My 2006 elite qualifying mile is 16,xxx miles (8 segments). However, after flying back from Asia to the US in Jan, I earned an additonal 12,xxx miles, which were posted under 2007 elite qualifying miles. Then, I noticed that I got upgraded to Silver elite at about the same time. I am now Silver until 2/29/2008.

Somehow, NW didn't get my mother's FF number on our flight back from Asia. I soon requested the credits from NW, and the miles were then added. Mom didn't get Silver elite status, but we have the exact same amount of elite qualifying miles in 2006. I told mom to send an email to NW and she did. Her silver elite status was then maintained until 2/29/2008 (she was already silver).

The only way to get the 25,000 miles needed, NW must have use our 12,xxx miles flown on Jan 6, 2007. But this is not normal? I know some Asian airlines would allow you to be elite if you fly in Jan, since it's only a few days off......

Any other thoughts?

Are you aware that Business Class (paid) earns 150% Elite qualifying miles? I do not know where you flew from-to but that could have been the difference.

standardgirl May 23, 2007 11:56 am

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 7786476)
Are you aware that Business Class (paid) earns 150% Elite qualifying miles? I do not know where you flew from-to but that could have been the difference.

yes, I am aware of that. And I grabbed those numbers (12,xxx and 16,xxx) directly from NWA website under the elite qualifying miles section which already include the 50% bonus, I believe. :)

still confused :confused:

standardgirl May 24, 2007 6:32 am

bump...

3Cforme May 24, 2007 8:11 am

Originally Posted by standardgirl (Post 7790953)
bump...

I have gotten close to a qualifying level based on calendar year flying, and they gave it to me. But the published rules are clear, and one who emotionally needs status should not count on grace.