Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

International Coach Select, PFI, ????

Old May 21, 2007, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All

I just checked in online for my flight tonight DTW-AMS-NUE. After printing the boarding pass, I got this screen which I don't think I've seen before.

Your business fare qualifies for Coach SelectSM benefits

Present your boarding pass to take advantage of these special benefits on this trip:

* Access to the priority security checkpoint lane (where available)
* Admission to the Northwest WorldClubs Lounge (where available)
Valid at Northwest operated WorldClubs Lounges only
* Preboarding with WorldPerks Elite members

In addition, 1000 Bonus Miles have been credited to your WorldPerks account

Get Reservation Details & an E-Ticket Receipt

My boarding passes printed with PFI which I knew meant express security line, but I did not think it would give WorldClub access. I also don't recall the 1000 bonus miles before - they are not in my account now, but I will see when the flight posts.

This is not a WBC ticket - B fare (BHEPX to be exact). I also rebooked this from a flight I was supposed to take last week on a different routing (DTW-AMS-MUC, FRA-DTW) and paid the $200 change fee plus another $200 or so in fare increase - about $2400 total. Not sure if that improved something.

None of this matters much (except the extra 1000 miles) since I am already gold and a WorldClub member. This is my sixth round trip to Europe this year , five of which have been B fares. Is this new or have I just not been paying attention?
Old May 21, 2007, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by tev9999
I just checked in online for my flight tonight DTW-AMS-NUE. After printing the boarding pass, I got this screen which I don't think I've seen before.

Present your boarding pass to take advantage of these special benefits on this trip:

My boarding passes printed with PFI which I knew meant express security line, but I did not think it would give WorldClub access. I also don't recall the 1000 bonus miles before - they are not in my account now, but I will see when the flight posts.

This is not a WBC ticket - B fare (BHEPX to be exact). I also rebooked this from a flight I was supposed to take last week on a different routing (DTW-AMS-MUC, FRA-DTW) and paid the $200 change fee plus another $200 or so in fare increase - about $2400 total. Not sure if that improved something.

None of this matters much (except the extra 1000 miles) since I am already gold and a WorldClub member. This is my sixth round trip to Europe this year , five of which have been B fares. Is this new or have I just not been paying attention?
No this is not new and it is a pretty good deal. If you need to make this trip in July or August make sure you route through EWR or JFK. WBC is on sale for $1600 ish...BC for less than you had to pay for Y.
Old May 21, 2007, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avidflyer
No this is not new and it is a pretty good deal. If you need to make this trip in July or August make sure you route through EWR or JFK. WBC is on sale for $1600 ish...BC for less than you had to pay for Y.
Even for free WorldClub access? Thought that required plat or WBC purchase.

July possibly. August my German coworkers pretty much are on vacation. If only EWR/JFK meant thousands of more miles.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: NW MH RT SQ PC
July low time for flights to/from Germany?
Old May 23, 2007, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Well the 1000 mile coach select bonus posted to my account, so it must be true. The flight miles have not yet. None of my previous B fares over the last few months have had this. This might be the only one I did online check in for, so I wonder if that helps. Or it could be new. Or a "different" B fare.

Still confused, but I'll take the miles.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I just did OLCI for a CVG-DTW-AMS-OTP flight tomorrow and the BP's have PFI on them. I hit print, then got caught up in a conversation and by the time I got back to hit "continue" the session had expired so I don't know if the next screen would have included the 1000 bonus. I hope so. The weird part - it's an H fare!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:52 am

NWA "Coach Select" - a nice idea in theory

Originally Posted by tev9999

Don't believe everything you read. Especially if it's from NWA.

In July I traveled RT B fare BKK-NRT-PDX. Like tev9999, I "qualified" for Coach Select (SM) benefits. I have since had 1,000 miles credited to my account as "Coach Select Bonus." However, as for the other "benefits"...

Priority security line: denied (and I don't have to tell you that the cops weren't exactly nice about it)

Lounges: BKK doesn't have a WorldClub, but in both PDX and NRT I was initially denied entry. I was only allowed in PDX after showing the receptionist a printout of the website notice (which was printed inadvertently - I didn't even realize I had it until I was forced to look for my e-tickets). NRT was even worse: I was prepared with the document but still was met with an inordinate amount of skepticism and bad attitude, and it took A LOT of stubbornness on my part to finally get in.

OK, these are sources of stress no traveler needs, but in the end I was allowed in the lounges, so why am I still annoyed? One, because if I hadn't printed that page out, I would have been out of luck. (So much for "present your boarding pass to take advantage of these special benefits.") Two, because of the response I received from NWA after I wrote a letter to their Customer Care dept (this is several weeks after not receiving ANY response from the local office in Bangkok).

There's no point in repeating it all for you here, as it was your typical detached form letter. The gist of the rep's response was that NO economy class fare includes access to their lounges (she didn't address the priority security issue), and she went on to "apologize for any misinformation on our website." And HOW sorry is NWA? $100 ECV, 1 yr exp, non-transferable.

I found the letter's patronizing tone insulting in many ways (I don't need a lecture on how NWA lounges meet the needs of the business traveler, thank you), but what is especially bothersome is the fact that not only did she not even take a cursory look at my case (they can't do this for everyone, fine), but the customer service rep didn't even bother to do her homework: no mention of Coach Select and she obviously isn't familiar with the user experience on the website.

Not only that but NWA seems to think that $100 credit also means that the customer should do the work that one might think would be assigned to the customer care dept: "If you still have those documents, we would appreciate it if you would send us copies so we can make any necessary corrections." (Either that or she's just being sarcastic and spiteful, and I don't want to think that someone at NWA could be so unprofessional.)

I'm sure she didn't get it, but the irony is that in my letter I suggested that NWA management is not doing a good job informing its staff on the ground of its policies....

Coach Select is a nice idea, but apparently it exists only on some page of nwa.com that is in another dimension, and is only viewable by a privileged few. If you should be so fortunate, make sure you print your list of benefits and carry it with you on your trip -- and cross your fingers that the document doesn't dissolve into dust as you hand it over to the WorldClub receptionist.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.