Hub/Focus City Question

Old May 17, 07, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Hub/Focus City Question

Has anyone in the same day hit DTW,MSP,MEM, IND and MKE? I know that Mke is debatable as a focus city. I have hit the three hubs on an out and back trip. Just wondering if anyone has gone 5 or 5.
Old May 17, 07, 1:08 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
What about AMS and NRT? Or going through one hub more than once? I did DTW-PHX-DTW-MEM-AMS in a day (started and ended within a 24 hour period).
Old May 17, 07, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR, MR Lifetime Gold
I'm not sure if I agree with MKE, but I've never flown to/from there so I don't really know. Isn't SEA more of a focus city?
Old May 17, 07, 2:25 pm

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
I have done IND-DTW-MKE-MSP-DTW-xxx as well as xxx-DTW-IND-MEM-MSP-xxx on the same calender day.
Old May 17, 07, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR, MR Lifetime Gold
Wikipedia says that only IND and HNL are focus cities. So scratch MKE (and SEA for that matter).
Old May 17, 07, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
SEA isn't the NW station it used to be. Pretty quiet here compared to ten years ago when the South Satellite was bristling with DC10s and 742s.
Old May 17, 07, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Plat
No, but I've often priced out my ideal way to spend a few days...

DTW-AMS-NRT-MSP-MEM-DTW.

I guess doing DTW-AMS-NRT-HNL-MSP-MEM-DTW would be ideal as well.
Old May 17, 07, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA, DL, HA, QF (ex-TW, AA, NW)
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
SEA isn't the NW station it used to be. Pretty quiet here compared to ten years ago when the South Satellite was bristling with DC10s and 742s.
Yeah, the new planes sure are a lot less loud.
Old May 17, 07, 4:42 pm

NW considers SEA a "GATEWAY" city. (has to do with mergers and acquisitions) Also is a Flight Attendant base.
Old May 17, 07, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA, DL, HA, QF (ex-TW, AA, NW)
Originally Posted by NWAFA View Post
NW considers SEA a "GATEWAY" city. (has to do with mergers and acquisitions) Also is a Flight Attendant base.
So, just guessing here... a "Gateway" city is one where there aren't a huge number of connecting NW flights, but there are a lot of connecting partner flights? Out of curiosity, would AMS be considered one too?
Old May 17, 07, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by DanTravels View Post
So, just guessing here... a "Gateway" city is one where there aren't a huge number of connecting NW flights, but there are a lot of connecting partner flights? Out of curiosity, would AMS be considered one too?
A Gateway city is considered a "strategic" asset. International departures and arrivals. Also has to do with scope language for employees. If NW should happen to sell off it's TPAC routes, the airline buying the routes would have to take NW employees if the employees would rather work for the new airline. SEA is a very senior FA base. These FA's live in SEA and fly primarily TPAC flights. If SEA were sold and no longer a base, these employees would either have to quit or start commuting to another base. The FA's would probably go with the flying to the new airline.

AMS and NRT I believe are considered strategic assests, but not Gateway cities.
Old May 17, 07, 10:30 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by NWAFA View Post
Don't know what the "official" status of LAX is, but it is a FA base, and not just for TPAC routes.

Search this Thread