FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Hub/Focus City Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/694197-hub-focus-city-question.html)

RobtheAggie May 17, 2007 11:50 am

Hub/Focus City Question

Has anyone in the same day hit DTW,MSP,MEM, IND and MKE? I know that Mke is debatable as a focus city. I have hit the three hubs on an out and back trip. Just wondering if anyone has gone 5 or 5.

xliioper May 17, 2007 12:08 pm

What about AMS and NRT? Or going through one hub more than once? I did DTW-PHX-DTW-MEM-AMS in a day (started and ended within a 24 hour period).

florin May 17, 2007 12:10 pm

I'm not sure if I agree with MKE, but I've never flown to/from there so I don't really know. Isn't SEA more of a focus city?

Blank Sheet May 17, 2007 1:25 pm

I have done IND-DTW-MKE-MSP-DTW-xxx as well as xxx-DTW-IND-MEM-MSP-xxx on the same calender day.

florin May 17, 2007 1:29 pm

Wikipedia says that only IND and HNL are focus cities. So scratch MKE (and SEA for that matter).

BearX220 May 17, 2007 1:33 pm

SEA isn't the NW station it used to be. Pretty quiet here compared to ten years ago when the South Satellite was bristling with DC10s and 742s.

james318 May 17, 2007 2:31 pm

No, but I've often priced out my ideal way to spend a few days...

DTW-AMS-NRT-MSP-MEM-DTW.

I guess doing DTW-AMS-NRT-HNL-MSP-MEM-DTW would be ideal as well.

DanTravels May 17, 2007 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 7754136)
SEA isn't the NW station it used to be. Pretty quiet here compared to ten years ago when the South Satellite was bristling with DC10s and 742s.

Yeah, the new planes sure are a lot less loud. :p

NWAFA May 17, 2007 3:42 pm

NW considers SEA a "GATEWAY" city. (has to do with mergers and acquisitions) Also is a Flight Attendant base.

DanTravels May 17, 2007 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by NWAFA (Post 7755040)
NW considers SEA a "GATEWAY" city. (has to do with mergers and acquisitions) Also is a Flight Attendant base.

So, just guessing here... a "Gateway" city is one where there aren't a huge number of connecting NW flights, but there are a lot of connecting partner flights? Out of curiosity, would AMS be considered one too?

NWAFA May 17, 2007 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by DanTravels (Post 7755158)
So, just guessing here... a "Gateway" city is one where there aren't a huge number of connecting NW flights, but there are a lot of connecting partner flights? Out of curiosity, would AMS be considered one too?

A Gateway city is considered a "strategic" asset. International departures and arrivals. Also has to do with scope language for employees. If NW should happen to sell off it's TPAC routes, the airline buying the routes would have to take NW employees if the employees would rather work for the new airline. SEA is a very senior FA base. These FA's live in SEA and fly primarily TPAC flights. If SEA were sold and no longer a base, these employees would either have to quit or start commuting to another base. The FA's would probably go with the flying to the new airline.

AMS and NRT I believe are considered strategic assests, but not Gateway cities.

TheMadBrewer May 17, 2007 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by NWAFA (Post 7755040)

Don't know what the "official" status of LAX is, but it is a FA base, and not just for TPAC routes.