HKG and NRT Questions

Old May 14, 07, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

HKG and NRT Questions

Hello - I'm flying SEA-NRT-ICN and HKG-NRT-SEA in a few weeks, and had a few quick questions.

1) My flight from HKG-NRT leaves at 8:30am. What time should I plan on getting to the airport? I'm an AS MVP, but have no status or FF account with NW.

2) If I buy duty-free at SEA or HKG, will I lose it when going through security at NRT? I've read that arriving pax must go through security at NRT, even if they're just in transit. Or, does NRT have a "sealed-bag" rule similar to what you see in the EU?

Many thanks in advance!
Old May 15, 07, 1:05 am

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by rwSEA View Post
Hello - I'm flying SEA-NRT-ICN and HKG-NRT-SEA in a few weeks, and had a few quick questions.

1) My flight from HKG-NRT leaves at 8:30am. What time should I plan on getting to the airport? I'm an AS MVP, but have no status or FF account with NW.

2) If I buy duty-free at SEA or HKG, will I lose it when going through security at NRT? I've read that arriving pax must go through security at NRT, even if they're just in transit. Or, does NRT have a "sealed-bag" rule similar to what you see in the EU?

Many thanks in advance!
I've taken this flight numerous times. Actually my mom just had a horrible experience from SEA-NRT..got diverted to Anchorage. long story. The airport is kinda far if you are staying on Hong Kong Island. If you are staying like in Central plan on leaving around 6-6:15. If you are staying in Kowloon..it's a little closer but plan on leaving around the same time.

When you buy duty free at NRT they bring your order to your gate and you pick it up before you board
Old May 15, 07, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - Delta Platinum - Hyatt Platinum - Hertz President Circle - NEXUS - Global Entry
Originally Posted by aaron1262 View Post

When you buy duty free at NRT they bring your order to your gate and you pick it up before you board

Since when?? I went thru there last month, NO liquid, lotion, gel, from duty free allowed, unless it followed the less than 3 oz per bottle, in a zip lock bag rule.

NRT is a real PITA on this. NW seems to have something to do with it, as when I asked if I could get duty free yet, she asked what airline. I go thru NRT at least 10 times a year, and have not been able to get the wife's high end makeup stuff since the LHR mess.
I saw a sign in front of one duty free shop, that said American Airlines passengers must purchase items 1 hour before the flight to allow time to deliver packages to the gate. So maybe with AA you can??

On a flight in November, a guy a few rows back was crying the blues to a buddy. Seems he had purchased a bottle of scotch in SEA duty free, and when changing planes in NRT, it was sorry, throw it or drink it, not getting on the NW NRT-MNL flight with it.
NW also warns on the way to NRT on their in flight duty sales, to not buy any liquids if you are changing planes. Funny, now that I think about it, on my return last month, there were NO in flight duty free sales.
Old May 15, 07, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime TITANIUM, Delta Skymiles
Re HKG - to be safe, leave at about 6:00 AM, not later than 6:15, to arrive around 6:30-6:45 AM. The security lines at HKG can be long sometimes, even at that early hour. The lounge is comfortable (although far from the usual gate). You can have coffee and a light breakfast (cereal, toast, etc.) in the lounge, so you dont have to worry about getting up extra early for breakfast.
Old May 15, 07, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR, HH, IHG, Accor. TT-GE.
You can now check in at the Hong Kong or Kowloon Airport Express stations. My mother did it last month and they open at 6 or so. (First train is around 5:45.) Don't know what's the closing time. Of course you must use the train if you use the check-in service.
Old May 15, 07, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I was in HKG last month and when connecting in NRT I saw a box in the re-screening area with a few bottles of wine and scotch that had been apparently confiscated.

Also on-board duty free was back the last week of April. According to the purser there was a change in vendor's which is why it was gone for a few weeks.

As for check-in at HKG I always stay at the Regal Airport Hotel the night before heading home. I usually check in by 6:30 so I can go to the lounge and have time for shopping.
Old May 15, 07, 10:23 pm

Programs: (formerly) Northwest, Continental, Delta, American, United, ANA
Don't buy the liquid duty free on the plane to NRT. You do have to go through security, and they will take anything that doesn't fit the 3-1-1 rule. Wait until you clear security at NRT, then buy your duty free there. Lots of duty free stores with all that stuff down a single long corridor. Or, you can buy inflight duty free from NRT to SEA, but you're taking a chance they may not have exactly what you want.
Old May 16, 07, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Looks like I'll be getting up pretty early to get to the airport, but it sounds like the typical 2 hour rule should be fine for me, so that's good I suppose.

I'll make sure I only buy DF in NRT after I clear security (going both ways).
Old May 17, 07, 7:35 am

Programs: CX Gold
Too late for the original poster, but I live on Hong Kong side and plan on being at the Hong Kong Station check-in counters -- not the airport -- about 2 hours before my flight.

There is, in my experience, rarely a line at the NWA counter, and the train takes 24 minutes to get to the station. I check in at 6:30, arrive at the airport by 7:15 or earlier (depending how long I had to wait for a train), and still have to kill time before boarding. This was true even before I had my Hong Kong ID and had to queue up in the visitors' line at immigration.

So it's still early, but I don't think you need to plan to be at the *airport* two hours in advance.
Old May 17, 07, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I travel to and from HKG several times a quarter and I agree with everyone here. I stay in Kowloon and leave my hotel between 6-6:15 and do not have any problem at all. The Hong Kong lounge is just ok but you can get a drink and a bite there..
Old Mar 26, 08, 6:04 am

Programs: This game has *seriously* lost its luster.
I am flying NW002 HKG-NRT dep. 08:30 in a few weeks. How much of the info here still applies in 2008?

MisterTanaka, how early can I check-in at HK Island train station?
Old Mar 26, 08, 8:07 am

Programs: nwaworldperks gold, cathay pacific asia miles, bangkok airways
1. standard arrival time at airport here in china and hkg is still two hours.
2. all connecting pax must reclear security in NRT and you will lose all liquids including bottled water. all dry goods should be ok.
Old Mar 26, 08, 8:34 am

Programs: DL 1MM, UA 1K, PC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marrott Silver
Duty Free at NRT

Has anyone successfully taken liquids purchased at NRT Duty-Free onto a NWA flight to the USA in the last few months? I know that they were not allowing it last year even if you had no connecting flights but I am not sure if they had changed the rules recently. I went through last week but ended up buying the Sake in Tokyo and putting it in my checked bag.
Old Mar 26, 08, 11:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG75 + UA 1K; Former Delta Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by boxo View Post
I am flying NW002 HKG-NRT dep. 08:30 in a few weeks. How much of the info here still applies in 2008?

MisterTanaka, how early can I check-in at HK Island train station?
It opens quite early -- if you are there at 530 you should be able to check in and make the first train (550 I believe).

I am a big fan of the Hong Kong Express -- it's just as convenient with checked bags as it used to be in London, and run with typical Hong Kong efficiency.
Old Apr 2, 08, 8:40 pm

Programs: This game has *seriously* lost its luster.
Thanks for the current info. It's just what I needed.

Search this Thread