Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

a little advice - use miles to upgrade?

Old May 14, 2007, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond

we're flying PDX-DTW on Friday 5/25 (of Memorial weekend). Both Mrs. Psychtobe and myself are gold.

This is what ExpertFlyer says as far as availability:

P9 F8 Y1 B1 M0 H0 Q0 V0 L0 T0 K0 R3

The question is whether to use miles to upgrade us to F now. My understanding (I've never upgraded using miles) is that I can burn 30k miles and upgrade both of us now into F because there is adequate R availability?

The only reason we're considering doing this is because we have a 3 month infant and would appreciate the extra space during feeding (hers, not ours).

The other question is: it looks like coach might end up being oversold; of course, this is the only non-stop PDX-DTW and all other options would leave us on MSP connections (wouldn't be the end of the world - we'd get in late but breaking up the flight might be better). If we get bumped out of coach we'd earn $600 in vouchers which could be handy - as long as they can put us on the MSP connection the same day. If we're upgraded to F then we wouldn't be able to earn the bump.

The other thing to weigh is: on a 757 with the above availability on a Friday morning, does anyone want to hazard a guess as to our chances of getting an EUA or battlefield upgrade without burning the miles? Normally on a Friday morning as gold I'd say our chances aren't good - but 9 months out of the year PDX-DTW is a 320 rather than a 757. The 757 seems to increase our chances.

This is my first flight ever as gold, so I don't have a feel for upgrade likelihood.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old May 14, 2007, 5:44 pm

If it were me I'd burn the miles. The ride, especially with the little one will be much better. I would not count on the VDB as there are others who may be happy to do that also.
Old May 14, 2007, 6:18 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by psychtobe
The other question is: it looks like coach might end up being oversold; of course, this is the only non-stop PDX-DTW and all other options would leave us on MSP connections (wouldn't be the end of the world - we'd get in late but breaking up the flight might be better). If we get bumped out of coach we'd earn $600 in vouchers which could be handy - as long as they can put us on the MSP connection the same day. If we're upgraded to F then we wouldn't be able to earn the bump.
Why not? I've given up a FC Elite Upgraded seat for a $300 bump more than once! One time, they took my seat - DTW to somewhere in FLA - and two seconds later the GA was on the PA system offereing a FC seat for $80!! - and two seconds later a guy was flying up to the counter with a credit card!!
Old May 14, 2007, 7:36 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Award upgrades might not be available for long...
Old May 15, 2007, 5:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Upgrade to F as long as you can. In case you get bumped (possible, you get a seat on a new flight in Y and the miles get redeoposited) no harm done.

Why would you go for bumps on memorial day weekend travel with a baby ??
Old May 15, 2007, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Upgrade to F as long as you can. In case you get bumped (possible, you get a seat on a new flight in Y and the miles get redeoposited) no harm done.

Why would you go for bumps on memorial day weekend travel with a baby ??
right, I probably wouldn't and am just dreaming. First time traveling with her, so I'm likely being overly optimistic.
Old May 15, 2007, 4:03 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
You can definitely be bumped voluntarily even if you are in F as has been mentioned earlier.

Also as has been mentioned earlier, if you want to do the upgrade, now is the time. Might not be around forever.
Old May 17, 2007, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

sort of strange. Now Expertflyer shows P6F3 R7. How can that happen? Not that I'm complaining, as we decided not to use miles and are hoping against hope for at least one EUA.
Old May 17, 2007, 11:07 pm

I think your prospects look good. Sit tight.
Old May 18, 2007, 8:25 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I second that! Have faith in the EUA gods

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.