Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Runway Repairs at DTW

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2007, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Runway Repairs at DTW

ROMULUS, Mich. -- Detroit Metropolitan Airport was recently given the go-ahead from the Federal Aviation Administration to begin critical rehabilitation work on its second-longest runway, according to a news release.

Wayne County Airport Authority CEO Lester Robinson said the work will result in a temporary change in air and traffic flow arriving to and departing from the airport.

Robinson said the projects started on Monday and is expected to be completed by mid-November.

The project will extend the life of the runway, a critical piece of the Detroit region's transportation infrastructure, by another 20 years, Robinson said. Air crafts normally assigned to that runway will be reassigned to one of the airport's other three runways.

Robsinson said during the construction, those who live immediately north and east of the airport may experience an increase in air traffic noise.

"The Airport Authority recognizes that this critical runway rehabilitation project will result in some temporary inconvenience for some of our neighbors," said Robinson. "We've been working closely with leaders from all of our neighboring communities who recognize the importance of this project for the long-term viability of our region."

However, because of the airport's extensive runway system, Robinson said that the temporary closure is not expected to affect airport capacity during the busy summer travel season.

"Travelers should not expect additional delays as a result of the runway rehabilitation project," Robinson said.

Detroit Metro Airport has a total of six runways, making it the most operationally capable commercial airports in North America.

Story: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/1...s=det&psp=news
Old May 14, 2007, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kcnwa
[B] Air crafts normally assigned to that runway will be reassigned to one of the airport's other three runways.

Detroit Metro Airport has a total of six runways, making it the most operationally capable commercial airports in North America.
We seem to have some problems with counting, a criticism long made against the airport authority and former county executive.
Old May 14, 2007, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
We seem to have some problems with counting, a criticism long made against the airport authority and former county executive.
There's 6 total runways; 4 parallel runways that they normally use and 2 crossing runways which I have never seend used. One of the parallel runways is being repaired and that leaves 3 for normal operations (prevailing winds).
Old May 15, 2007, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I landed on 9R/27L once and have seen it used several times for cargo aircraft to land. Very rare.

I have never seen 9L/27R used.

According to: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...irport_map.png

The 2nd longest runway is 3R and that was closed for several months last year.

And last year when they it was closed, my flights to and from DCA WERE affected. Longer taxis for take-off, usually only 1 departure runway and always landed over on 4L/R which usually meant insane taxis to the gates.

Last edited by kcnwa; May 15, 2007 at 6:17 am
Old May 15, 2007, 7:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you look at the plates of KDTW on flightaware:

http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KDTW

DTW has plenty of options. With a little planning no one should notice a thing.
Old May 15, 2007, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by flyerjay
There's 6 total runways; 4 parallel runways that they normally use and 2 crossing runways which I have never send used. One of the parallel runways is being repaired and that leaves 3 for normal operations (prevailing winds).
The two crossing runways go East/West and are used in bad weather --

Bob H
Old May 22, 2007, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE
Originally Posted by BobH
The two crossing runways go East/West and are used in bad weather
Landed on 27L yesterday afternoon coming from PIT....clear and smooth weather. I noticed another aircraft landing on one of the "main" runways at the same time.

Since we were coming into one of the southerly gates, it made for probably my shortest taxi at DTW in YEARS!!
Old May 22, 2007, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
I've often wondered why 27L isn't used more regularly for arrivals from the east. Seems as the more direct route would reduce congestion, flying time and (as mentioned above) the taxi times to McNamara.

Example: CLE-DTW, a straight shot across Lake Erie with a direct approach to 27L @ DTW instead of flying north damn near to FNT to get in line during normal ops (21's and 22's in use).

Last Saturday, I was flying DL in from ATL. We were on approach for 27L when we were rerouted < 5 minutes from landing to 22R. That was a fun, fast, steep ride in an MD88.
Old May 23, 2007, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Mill Creek Don
Since we were coming into one of the southerly gates, it made for probably my shortest taxi at DTW in YEARS!!
Ya, unlike landing on 22R/4L and you have to use that f(&#%@ing taxiway Q that takes you to the middle of frickin nowhere.
Old May 23, 2007, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geoffco
I've often wondered why 27L isn't used more regularly for arrivals from the east. Seems as the more direct route would reduce congestion, flying time and (as mentioned above) the taxi times to McNamara.

Example: CLE-DTW, a straight shot across Lake Erie with a direct approach to 27L @ DTW instead of flying north damn near to FNT to get in line during normal ops (21's and 22's in use).

Last Saturday, I was flying DL in from ATL. We were on approach for 27L when we were rerouted < 5 minutes from landing to 22R. That was a fun, fast, steep ride in an MD88.
Probably due to the fact 27L crosses a runway, it may not be a benefit by the time you stack the takeoff and landings around the crossing traffic.

Thx Mill Creek Don for pointing that out

Last edited by kcnwa; May 23, 2007 at 1:54 pm
Old May 23, 2007, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE
Originally Posted by kcnwa
Probably due to the fact 27L crosses 3 runways, it would not be a benefit by the time you stack the takeoff and landings around the crossing traffic.
According to the airport diagram from the FAA, 27L only crosses one runway, that being 21L. It is only 27R that crosses 3 of the 4 parallels.
Old May 23, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Consider the problem in 3 dimensions ...

If your 27L arrival feels the need to execute a go-around, what do you suppose might be the reaction of the guys who're arriving/departing over on the 22s ?? ???

/.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by StuartMI
Ya, unlike landing on 22R/4L and you have to use that f(&#%@ing taxiway Q that takes you to the middle of frickin nowhere.
Never landed at the Polderbaan in AMS, have you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.