Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Seat Selection - Wife Can But I Can't

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2007, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1st Class Only

My wife and I are booked on NW 732 (A319) from SLC to MSP on 6/27. I am on a paid K fare and she is traveling on a WorldPerks PerkPass fare that I booked. She is currently seated in 5C and I am seated in 5A. These are both good seats on the A319, but I would like to sit next to her in 5B which is currently designated a handicapped seat. That way, if I am upgraded, I can give her the upgrade and just take her aisle seat which I prefer anyway.
The problem is that I cannot select 5B as a SE but she can! So if I move her to 5B and I move to 5C and get upgraded, she/I will be stuck with a middle seat.
Does anyone have a clue why she can select this designated handicapped seat at this time but I can't?
Old May 14, 2007, 7:37 am

PerkPass awards are often times treated like full-fare Y tickets. Sometimes, this allows you to select things like the disability seats even though you're not supposed to.

I'd just switch it around and have you select the seat she wants and have her select the seat you want. You can do any seat swapping you like between the two of you once on-board.
Old May 14, 2007, 8:00 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
PerkPass awards are often times treated like full-fare Y tickets. Sometimes, this allows you to select things like the disability seats even though you're not supposed to.

I'd just switch it around and have you select the seat she wants and have her select the seat you want. You can do any seat swapping you like between the two of you once on-board.
Since this does not address your potential upgrade problem, I would just keep the seats as is and switch with the person in 5B if you do not get upgraded. I doubt that whoever is there really prefers a middle seat.
Old May 14, 2007, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1st Class Only
Originally Posted by SfoDtwFlr
Since this does not address your potential upgrade problem, I would just keep the seats as is and switch with the person in 5B if you do not get upgraded. I doubt that whoever is there really prefers a middle seat.
That was my thought also.

SchmutzigMSP, I appreciated the comment about the potential "Y fare equivalent" status. I will keep that in mind when I redeem miles in the future. Are PerkSaver seats given the same Y fare status?
Old May 14, 2007, 9:45 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
If you have a handicapped seat the EUA process will skip you. Stay away from those if you want a chance to ride up front.
Old May 14, 2007, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by mesabadad
Are PerkSaver seats given the same Y fare status?
In my experience, they are not. Because you had to redeem double the miles for Perkpass, the tix are essentially treated as premium tickets. I think you are best to leave your seats where they are agreeing with SfoDtwFlr.
Old May 14, 2007, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by mesabadad
Are PerkSaver seats given the same Y fare status?
No, generally not.
PerkPass comes from the Y bucket while PerkSaver comes from the W.

Originally Posted by florin
If you have a handicapped seat the EUA process will skip you. Stay away from those if you want a chance to ride up front.
How do you know this for certain? Empirical evidence of missing an upgrade while being in a disability seat is not proof.
Old May 14, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
QUOTE=florin "If you have a handicapped seat the EUA process will skip you. "

MzCE & I can offer direct evidence to the contrary, wherein on one day in February, we were EUA'd to seats 1C&1D on SIX CONSECUTIVE segments, including two that were later cxld for crew-timeout.
Her profile specifies hc-w/c pickup at all gates

/.
Old May 14, 2007, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
How do you know this for certain? Empirical evidence of missing an upgrade while being in a disability seat is not proof.
There was a thread about missed UG's a while back and the discussion concluded that it was likely because a handicapped seat had been selected. My bad.

"Empirical evidence"?!? FT is a about free discussion and speculating is part of what we do here - a lot of useful information ends up coming out of it. E.g. There is no empirical evidence of how the EUA process works (and the WP T&C leave a LOT of unanswered questions), but after extended discussions and observations over time, we seem to have a pretty good idea. It seems that I was wrong about the handicapped seats, but let's be reasonable here. This is not a court of law and it's certainly not a math thesis. Relax...

Last edited by florin; May 14, 2007 at 2:22 pm
Old May 14, 2007, 2:21 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
By booking the aisle and window seats, chances are you will have 3 seats for the two of you if the upgrade does not materialize.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.