Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Merger Rumors and Everything Related [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Rumors and Everything Related [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Then I suggest we all wait until Friday to see what Eagan has been thinking up. They seem to have been fairly quite lately, aside from Mesaba. (And even that hasn't caused Doug & Co. to be all that talkative.)

"Exciting."
Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by hazelrah
Two bankrupt carriers. I don't see it.

NWA has a cloud over its emergence from BK without an agreement with the FAs.
I mentioned this already, but somewhere in my flying last month, I was chatting with an FA or two, and heard that (quiet) negotiations between NWA and the FAs have been going on since something like December 16th. (Evidently without attracting media coverage.)
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:00 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
I would much rather see a merger with American and a codeshare partnership with British airways on all US-UK flights, along with a move of the Chicago hub to Detroit (with double hourly flights between ORD-DTW and hourly flights to JFK). Obviously ORD would keep P2P flights like ORD-LGA,JFK,LAX,MIA,SFO,BOS,PHL,MSP etc). ORD would be a mini hub, even with some international, but most of the international flights and the hub operations would be moved to detroit.

I would even like this if it meant no more EAU, and I know I will be flamed for that as even I value that as the most important worldperk benefit, but the first class product on AA is superior, and elites can upgrade with purchased upgrades and banked upgrades.

Still, I would prefer to see NW independent of a merger, but if it has to merge with someone AA is better than DL.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:11 pm
Suspended

I think the questions is which hubs will loose hub status

MSP - NO
DTW - NO
ATL - NO
JFK - NO
NRT - NO
SLC - Probably Not

CVG - ?
MEM - ?

Would have great Pacific and Atlantic coverage

Any chance they would kick CO out of Skyteam?

Last edited by elitetraveler; Jan 11, 2007 at 1:47 am Reason: wrong city code for cvg - thanks dantravels!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sany2
I would much rather see a merger with American
Well, after NW, AA is my favorite US-based carrier. But...

and a codeshare partnership with British airways on all US-UK flights
Please, God, no! BA is why I stopped flying AA in the first place - their codeshare and frequent flyer programs are so poorly integrated that I can't bring myself to call Oneworld an alliance. And BA is an absolutely horrid entity to deal with as a frequent flyer unless you've got the Royal Family's budget for air travel.

If AA and BA let me earn AA miles for TATL flights on BA, and gave 100% Q-miles for all fare classes, I would've easily made elite in 2005, and might be flying them to this day. But they didn't, so I didn't, so I'm not.

along with a move of the Chicago hub to Detroit (with double hourly flights between ORD-DTW and hourly flights to JFK). Obviously ORD would keep P2P flights like ORD-LGA,JFK,LAX,MIA,SFO,BOS,PHL,MSP etc). ORD would be a mini hub, even with some international, but most of the international flights and the hub operations would be moved to detroit.
It'd be great, but I just can't see it ever happening, because as great as the DTW airport may be, the city of Chicago is a place people actually want to go, unlike, um, Detroit.

Still, I would prefer to see NW independent of a merger, but if it has to merge with someone AA is better than DL.
If NW had no choice but to merge with, or be acquired by, another carrier, AA would be my first choice, sure. But I'd sooner see NW acquire DL somehow (and undo all the stupidity DL hath wrought vis-a-vis upgrades, segments, etc), and like you, I'd sooner still see NW independent.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:18 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
< Obi-wan Steenland emeges from the shadows >

waving his hand... "this is not the airline you are looking for..."

< AA and US lawyers and creditors respond > "this is not the airline we are looking for..."

< Obi-wan > "go fight over Delta..."

< AA and US lawyers and creditors respond > "lets go fight over Delta..."

< Obi-wan > "let NWA go about their BK reorganization"

< AA and US lawyers and creditors respond > "let NWA go about their BK reorganization"

... the NWA mind trick at work...

just some humor for the afternoon...
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
CIN - ?
Carroll, Iowa? Who the heck has a hub there?

Oh... you meant CVG, I guess.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:53 pm

I agree. The prospect of being jerked into that ''limited partnership'' called One World is a huge negative. How can they even call BA a partner when one cannot either earn or burn AA miles trans-Atlantic on BA. What a joke!

If they have to merge, AA would be the very last on my list.

Originally Posted by DanTravels
Well, after NW, AA is my favorite US-based carrier. But...

Please, God, no! BA is why I stopped flying AA in the first place - their codeshare and frequent flyer programs are so poorly integrated that I can't bring myself to call Oneworld an alliance. And BA is an absolutely horrid entity to deal with as a frequent flyer unless you've got the Royal Family's budget for air travel.

If AA and BA let me earn AA miles for TATL flights on BA, and gave 100% Q-miles for all fare classes, I would've easily made elite in 2005, and might be flying them to this day. But they didn't, so I didn't, so I'm not.

It'd be great, but I just can't see it ever happening, because as great as the DTW airport may be, the city of Chicago is a place people actually want to go, unlike, um, Detroit.

If NW had no choice but to merge with, or be acquired by, another carrier, AA would be my first choice, sure. But I'd sooner see NW acquire DL somehow (and undo all the stupidity DL hath wrought vis-a-vis upgrades, segments, etc), and like you, I'd sooner still see NW independent.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:29 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
Originally Posted by Carolinian
I agree. The prospect of being jerked into that ''limited partnership'' called One World is a huge negative. How can they even call BA a partner when one cannot either earn or burn AA miles trans-Atlantic on BA. What a joke!

Oops. I forgot to add a preface to my little thing.

I too hate the lack of integration in Oneworld. Its awful, and I would be well on my way to EXP with AA if they counted TATL flights.

BA/AA/NWA would have to have an agreement allowing 100% EQM on ALL fares on ALL airlines for the new AA/NW. I don't know what the antitrust hold ups on this are, and I don't know how they could be resolved. I can tell you this: a DL/NW/AF/KL code share combined with NW/KL joint revenue agreements would certainly be larger than any AA/BA program would be right now, so I don't see why it should be disalowed. Additionally a BA/AA/NW would be no larger than AF/KL/NW/DL.

As much as I like NW for domestic and WBC travel, if I'm not flying WBC (and the fares DTW-anywhere in business class are absurd- think 8-10 thousand most of the time I travel), I prefer BA WT+. Right now BA fares are pretty low in business class DTW-India compared to NW. I suppose that would change if DTW became an AA hub and BA was an integrated partner. Maybe what I would really like to see is NW acquire DL, increase the number of international flights from DTW to Asia (as planned), and I would fly this airline to Asia. Then BA/AA should be allowed to do their thing, and I will fly one of those airlines to Europe and India.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA MP, JetBlue TrueBlue, ICH PC Rewards
Originally Posted by Carolinian

AA is definitely last on my list. NW would be better off as an independent entity. If at all NW has to merge/acquire/be acquired, let it be NW-DL or NW-CO
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:44 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Silver
Hope a combined DL/NW would close that awful CVG hub. Good riddance!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:46 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
I doubt merger would benefit any of us.

The industry would benefit from more, not less, competition.

If only the Justice Deparment still believed in antitrust enforcement.....
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
As my boss said to my plant today, rumors tend to make people make decisions that they will regret later.

Lesson: It's a rumor. Actions speak louder than words.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
Its really not a rumor. Its a desparate move on NWs part. Deltas creditor committee tonite URGED them to postpone their filing on feb 7th and really take a good look at this US offer. Money Talks, I didnt think dalrq and lcc would get done at first. Now I think it has a good chance. That will put co-uaua in motion leaving aa and nw. AA learned a big lesson with TWA They may not try for NW right away. Just wait for them to get squeezed into chapt 7 and then buy the "good" parts of nw and leave the junk. I think this is NWs nightmare, and talks with delta are just wishful thinkng. Deltas pilots dont want anything to do with NWs management. my 2cents BTW does your plant do better when your boss talks to it?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by rwill11
Just wait for them to get squeezed into chapt 7 and then buy the "good" parts of nw and leave the junk.
I doubt that Northwest is close to chapter 7.

Like I said, let's wait until Friday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.