Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Int'l Award Stopovers

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2007, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Int'l Award Stopovers

I will be booking an award ticket from PDX to NBO (or nearby areas).
What are my options for layovers in the US (at DTW), and in Europe? Can I do both in one direction?
Will a layover not count if it's less than 24 hrs?
How many connections allowed?
If I needed to, due to availability, am I allowed to connect from one city (BRU) to another (AMS) going in one direction?
Will the above options be more limited if I fly into NBO and out of a neighboring country?
Old May 11, 2007, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by elabut
I will be booking an award ticket from PDX to NBO (or nearby areas).
What are my options for layovers in the US (at DTW), and in Europe? Can I do both in one direction?
Will a layover not count if it's less than 24 hrs?
How many connections allowed?
If I needed to, due to availability, am I allowed to connect from one city (BRU) to another (AMS) going in one direction?
Will the above options be more limited if I fly into NBO and out of a neighboring country?
This will tell you what you need to know. It was well buried.

http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/travel/openjaw.shtml

The key: ONE stopover per RT and I believe it must be on a valid routing.

So, PDX-MSP (stopover) - AMS-NBO would work, but PDX-MSP-Des Moines (stopover) -DTW-AMS-NBO would not.

If you can't hit BRU on a layover (as I suspect you can't) consider using the Thalys high speed train.

You may have both a stopover and an open jaw but only on international itineraries as noted in the link.

Last edited by 3Cforme; May 11, 2007 at 4:26 pm
Old May 11, 2007, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
but PDX-MSP-Des Moines (stopover) -DTW-AMS-NBO would not.
This is valid.
Old May 11, 2007, 3:25 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
This will tell you what you need to know. It was well buried.

http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/travel/openjaw.shtml

So, PDX-MSP (stopover) - AMS-NBO would work, but PDX-MSP-Des Moines (stopover) -DTW-AMS-NBO would not.
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
This is valid.
According to the above link, "Stopovers are permitted only in Northwest and partner hubs." So why would the stop in DSM be allowed? It wasn't a NW or partner hub the last time I looked!
Old May 11, 2007, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by fti
According to the above link, "Stopovers are permitted only in Northwest and partner hubs." So why would the stop in DSM be allowed? It wasn't a NW or partner hub the last time I looked!
Have you tried?

I've had no problem getting stopovers on international awards in cities that are not "NW and partner hubs". That phrase is entirely up to interpretation in my experience.

I've simply found, in my experience, that statement to be incorrect.
Old May 11, 2007, 3:35 pm

You are allowed both ONE stopover and ONE open jaw. So if you wanted to fly PDX-MSP (Stopover)-AMS-NBO on NW/KL and DKR-ATL-PDX on DL, that would be fine. (assuming there is availability). I thought the rule was that the stopover had to be a hub as well, but that may or may not be accurate. I know I was unable to get NWA.com to price out a MSP-DSM (stopover)-AMS-MSP flight award flight, but that does not necessary mean it is impossible. You should probably pay the 15 bucks and call NW.
Old May 11, 2007, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

The link is very helpful. So I could do a few days stopover at DTW AND 23 hrs. in Europe, right? Only question not answered is if I can put a short land portion between 2 cities in Europe. This is not an open jaw as my destination is Africa. Since connections such as ORD to MDW are allowed, maybe something between 2 cities in Europe is allowed. I am guessing such a thing is just too much to hope for.
Old May 11, 2007, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by humanoid94
You are allowed both ONE stopover and ONE open jaw.
I stand corrected for international itins. Post above corrected.
Old May 11, 2007, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I've had no problem getting stopovers on international awards in cities that are not "NW and partner hubs". That phrase is entirely up to interpretation in my experience.

I've simply found, in my experience, that statement to be incorrect.
I don't doubt you've gotten away with it, but clearly it's because of error and not interpretation. DSM is not a hub.

Steve
Old May 11, 2007, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by sllevin
DSM is not a hub.
Define "hub".

I've never had a problem getting a stopover when I've asked for cities other than DTW/MEM/MSP. Since those are the only "hubs", I have to assume that the "rule" is up for interpretation. How many times does it take for an "error" to become "interpretation"?
Old May 11, 2007, 9:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
I have nice surprise from NW's international stopover too. I booked a ticket for a friend from TPE to LAS for a visit and was able to let him use BWI as a stopover. Although MDT and BWI are only 2 hr away, I was told that MDT was not a valid stopover. Not sure how they set the rule, but there are definately some flexabilities on stopover cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.