Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2007, 9:29 am

I have flown KL WBC both from LAX to AMS as
well as NRT-AMS. The seats in the 747/74M are
horrible, relicts of the past. The 777 seats are
better but still not up to NW new seats standards
and, yes, there are three middle seats.
In flight service is horrible, the food likewise. In
the snack basket you will find only chocolate.
The NRT flights don't offer Japanese food or
even an Asian food selection.
On the 47s the IFE is not interactive, you
cannot watch the movie from the beginning
on demand. I can't remember on the 77, I was
just glad when I arrived home in Tokyo.
NW product is so much better, truly exciting ^
As far as the Delft houses are concerned, if you
connect in AMS to a connecting flight, security
will confiscate the houses. I did not know that
there was alcohol/liquid inside, so there went my little
house and NW/KL customer service informed me
there would not be a replacement coming. So,
I guess, drink it before the security check. Enjoy
the trip.

Last edited by Exleftseat; May 10, 2007 at 9:52 am Reason: clarify
Old May 10, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Still did as of < 2 weeks ago. Some 90+ different designs now so make a note of what you have/haven't got. AMS security lets these from previous flights through.
I know this is a minor point, but the houses are a really nice touch by KLM. I'm sure some folks choose KLM simply to add to their collection.
Old May 10, 2007, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by yogimax
I know this is a minor point, but the houses are a really nice touch by KLM. I'm sure some folks choose KLM simply to add to their collection.
That is absolutely correct, was confirmed to my by
NW/KL customer service. Also flying back to NRT I
observed a PAX who made a selective choice between
the 10 or so different designs offered in order to add
to his collection. I understand KL offers these Delfts
for the past 15 years or so.
Still the Delfts would not be enough to sway me from
flying NW whose in flight product is vastly superior.
Old May 10, 2007, 8:19 pm

Programs: Northwest Worldperks
I would try something totally different and fly LAX-MEM-AMS-FRA... but thats just me.....
Old May 10, 2007, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I would try something totally different and fly LAX-MEM-AMS-FRA... but thats just me.....
You don't know SWMBO -- "Change planes? You expect me to change planes?" -- OK, not that bad but not that far off either One change no problem, two would be pushing it if there is a single connection routing.
Old May 10, 2007, 10:22 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I flew LAX-AMS in WBC last week on the 747-Combi and was frankly disappointed. The seats weren't all that comfortable, food mediocre and service indifferent. Still beat coach, though! My first KLM flight...

On the other hand, the A-330 on NW from AMS-MSP had a pretty good coach product!
Old May 11, 2007, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Some 90+ different designs
87, to be precise. One for each year of KL's existence. A new house is issued each October on KL's birthday.

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I understand KL offers these Delfts
for the past 15 years or so.
A bit longer. Since 1952.

Johan
Old May 11, 2007, 2:41 pm

I just flew HNL/MSP/AMS/LHR/AMS/SFO/HNL... outbound trans-A on NW (333) and inbound (744) on KL.

Observations:
1) HUGE hassle trying to check 3 bags per NW WBC allowance at KL check-in at LHR. KL applies KL rules. ONLY 2 bags. At 105 GBP per extra bag (~$210), I begged, I asked for management review, for interline harmony... and got a one time exemption. CONCLUSION: if you flying with 3 checked bags... use only NW equipment.

2) second HUGE hassle. Brit. Airports Admin. limits carryons to 1, as in ONE. Doesn't matter what the airline will accept, BAA security limits it to one. Back to the check-in counter for another 30 minute exercise in begging, and again a one-time exemption... I checked my roller as checked bag 4, and only to get the bag to AMS for the night. Leaving LHR after noon, you can check some or all of your bags through to the US destination, since the next trans-A flight will be the next day. CONCLUSION: use 1 carryon if checking in at a BAA airport. BAA runs the carryon show by the book, i.e., they love the measurement cage and telling you "too big".

3) the KL 744 was recently upgraded and DID HAVE 300 channels of AVOD... much bigger selection than the AVOD on the NW 333s. About the same screen. KL uses a weird 3-pin audio plug, so if you board NC phones, you can use them but have only L or R audio.

4) NW food quality is better, but KL has more food, plus paninis, Belgian chocs, etc.

5) KL WBC seat is wider, but as noted, no pillow. I board my own inflatables, so I didn't care. KL WBC seat is slightly more comfortable for sleeping, esp. on side. KL WBC power plug accommodated US, UK, and Continent plug configurations. NW WBC power plug accommodates only US/JP plugs.

6) FA temperaments are the luck of the draw, but the KL FAs are very crosscultural. My main FA spoke 6 languages.

overall... I would stay on NW equipment unless you are a movie buff and only check 2 bags.

Last edited by Eidetic; May 11, 2007 at 10:49 pm
Old May 11, 2007, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Normally I wouldn't go KLM unless it's on an A330 or 777, which have the new seats. They're supposed to be retrofitting the 747's, but I don't know what the completion date is. IMHO, NWA's A330-300's are better than KLM's A330-200's (seats, AVOD, no electric blue to get on your nerves!). I think KLM's catering is better, however.

You might want look at the KML threads for a different reason. I hope they have this figured out by the time you're going, but they have been having some pretty severe mechanical problems with their 747's and MD-11's. These often result in last-minute cancellations. I came back today from AMS to SFO. I originally was going to be on the KLM direct flight (747) to save time, but later changed to NW through MSP because I had to be home today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.