Wiki Posts
Search

Sting operations in WorldClubs

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2007, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Plat
Sting operations in WorldClubs

On Christopher Elliott's fine site I just spotted an apology letter from NWA's Jodee Gruebele to a traveler who'd been denied access to a WorldClub at DTW. Here's an excerpt:

"I regret that you were unable to enjoy your wait time in Detroit. Unfortunately, due to the fact that we are considered a “bar” in the eyes of the legal system we must comply with state liquor laws. We have had local law enforcement perform “sting” operations in a couple of our clubs to try and catch us “serving” minors because we are a bar, that also has a passenger service counter. All of our literature states “21” as the threshold for membership. So as not to put our liquor license at risk we try to be consistently diligent."

The very idea that Michigan authorities think they have nothing better to do than to perform sting operations in WorldClubs gives me shivers. Sic transit sanctuaria.

What's next, forcing airlines to chose between allowing unaccompanied minors on board or wine-with-meals on the planes themselves?

In this climate, nothing would surprise me.
Old May 9, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
to the LEOs who thought this was a good use of their time and our tax dollars.
Old May 9, 2007, 12:52 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Do CRC and PC have the same age limits? Or since they have bartenders, can they have 18 yo in the clubs or as members? What happens with the toddlers of WC members? Are they busted too???
Old May 9, 2007, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How do these cops get into the Worldclubs to conduct their stings without being members? Or do they buy memberships? Interesting use of taxpayer dollars.
Old May 9, 2007, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
How do these cops get into the Worldclubs to conduct their stings without being members? Or do they buy memberships? Interesting use of taxpayer dollars.
If the WC is a 'bar' then it needs a state liquor license and LEOs are welcome to enter to enforce the law.
Old May 9, 2007, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
I think a Glock works as a membership card!

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Old May 9, 2007, 1:22 pm

Yeah, but if they go in undercover to try to get booze it might blow their cover to flash their badge for entry.
Old May 9, 2007, 1:51 pm

Isn't there a possiblity of different rules under which a private membership club operates? For example you cannot get into a WC without membership or being with a member. Would not a police officer require a warrant?
Old May 9, 2007, 2:34 pm

IOn this context LEO could be some one from what ever agency actually grants the license. Does not have to be a patrol officer. The funny thing is you can't under 21 to be a member but you can be inside as a guest.

Would think NW would have some difficulty since it is serve yourself at most locations.
Old May 9, 2007, 2:35 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by barfeld2
On Christopher Elliott's fine site...
I just had lunch with his parents last week during my trip to Europe on the BUH fare (they live in Austria). A fine family.
Old May 9, 2007, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jimc_usa
Isn't there a possiblity of different rules under which a private membership club operates? For example you cannot get into a WC without membership or being with a member. Would not a police officer require a warrant?
IIRC, Michigan law does not differentiate between selling and serving alcohol to minors. So a private club is subject to undercover state inspectors just as a public bar would be.
Old May 9, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
CRC, PC, WC all these three ugly? clubs denied me for being under 21
Even I was holding WBC ticket.

One kind agent @ SEA asked If I wanted specific things from inside the club,
so I asked Orange Juice and some snack. - She brought handful of snacks and two packs of Tropicana OJ.^ (very well? handled situation)

And one time @ DTW, I had to explain my situation to one gentlemen about to get into club, and he was happy to be my Companion for a moment.
Old May 9, 2007, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jameskwon
CRC, PC, WC all these three ugly? clubs denied me for being under 21
Even I was holding WBC ticket.
An age of 21+ is a published requirement for all three clubs, likely as a function of alcohol service. Now you know. Alcohol sales & serving rules vary by state and locality but min. age of 21 is quite widespread.
Old May 9, 2007, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
min. age of 21 is quite widespread.
Well, actually not. The US has the highest drinking age in the world. This may come as a surprise for international travelers on WBC tickets who are used to the normal situation elsewhere.
Old May 9, 2007, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
All the airlines in the US that provide free alcohol in the lounges (DL, NW, CO, AS) all have a minimum age of 21 for membership. US, UA and AA (where one needs to purchase alcohol) the membership age is 18. Pretty sure it's the alcohol law that requires that limitation (though, as a 21 year old, I have been carded at the SEA Crown Room, although that's the only place; the only time I've been carded on a plane before was on a Comair CRJ when using a drink chit; when I've been in F, they've never carded me...not that I wouldn't show it since I have no reason to hide I'm legal...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.