Wiki Posts
Search

Breakfast in FC why no cereal?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2007, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Breakfast in FC why no cereal?

I flew MSP-LAX and was in row 2 this was my first breakfast flight in a while. I heard the choices from row 1 and asked for cereal only to be told that for 24 people all they boarded was 2 cereal meals the rest the bad eggs sausage and potatoes. The FA went on to say is that we complain all of the time that 2 is not enough but management does not listen that that I should write a letter. I did sent a TTU message and got a nice reply back. Is two just for MSP-LAX or a standard numbers. I seem to get cereal on the DCA flights.

If anyone feels the same way please write a TTU. I have lots of breakfast flights coming up and if it is a choice between eggs and eggs I will choose nothing.
Old May 1, 2007, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Had the same thing on a recent TPA-MSP flight. Fortunately (for me), I was in 1B. The guy in 1A and I got what turned out to be the only cereal breakfasts.
Old May 1, 2007, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL DM (PMNW), occasional AMTK, National Exec Elite and IHG Spire
I'm flying FNT-MSP-SEA tomorrow morning, with the latter leg a breakfast service in FC. I loathe the "cheesy" eggs - personally dislike cultured dairy products - and am hoping for the cereal. I am in 1-B on that flight so maybe I'll get "lucky."

(I would actually prefer the eggs, sausage and potatoes dish if NWA would hold the d@mn cheese. Heck, maybe a NW beancounter will read this and "cut the cheese" to save a buck or two. One can always hope. )
Old May 1, 2007, 8:21 pm

If you know you're going to be up in first class, you could special order the vegetarian option for breakfast. That's always a cereal plate.
Old May 1, 2007, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
If you know you're going to be up in first class, you could special order the vegetarian option for breakfast. That's always a cereal plate.
Special meals, including vegetarian, are not available on domestic flights. Keep those letters to NWA coming, as the cereal rarely makes it past row 2.
Old May 1, 2007, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
It've been a while they doing that.
I always go with egg/sausage/potato anyway so not a big deal,

However after I saw that, "two" cereal are being served right infront my row,
I felt some what unfair.
instead of serving distributed cereal bowl, boarding box of ceral and gallon of milk could easily solve the problem.
*Also FA can refill as PAX demand
*serve cups of left over milk to kids in the back.

Anyway what is really makes me displeasing is
when there is only cereal or egg choice left in WBC
(usually three choices for breakfast)
when I already served or could serevd in domestic First.

Last edited by ControlTower; May 1, 2007 at 9:25 pm
Old May 1, 2007, 10:17 pm

I've been on flights in the past week where at least 4 cereals were catered (MSP/DEN/ATL flights specifically). I wonder what makes the distinction of how many cereals to be catered.
Old May 1, 2007, 11:28 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So my experience is that they run out of the eggs and left with only cereal...
Old May 2, 2007, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
So my experience is that they run out of the eggs and left with only cereal...
That's been my experience too. Really a bummer when you're looking forward to the cheesy and gooey eggs to be subjected to plain old cereal.

I actually like airplane food...
Old May 2, 2007, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by slippahs
That's been my experience too. Really a bummer when you're looking forward to the cheesy and gooey eggs to be subjected to plain old cereal.

I suppose it's like being in jail, eventually you get used to the food!
Old May 2, 2007, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by slippahs
I do, too. But I also know not to expect too much.

I find NW's egg dishes to be no better or worse really than the greasy junk one can get at McDonald's or Burger King in the concourse. I actually found the cheese omelet this week to be satisfying. I know that it's not the way mom used to make it, but it's better than most of the free breakfast options offered in hotels.
Old May 2, 2007, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I've been on flights in the past week where at least 4 cereals were catered (MSP/DEN/ATL flights specifically). I wonder what makes the distinction of how many cereals to be catered.
Seems like a no-brainer to me. The "base" tray is the same (fruit, muffin, whatever) and the milk is on board anyway as a beverage choice so why not put a bunch of non-perishable boxes of ceral on just in case. Seems to me that there is no incremental expense at all and you can offer all pax a choice.
NW?
Old May 2, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Seems like a no-brainer to me. The "base" tray is the same (fruit, muffin, whatever) and the milk is on board anyway as a beverage choice so why not put a bunch of non-perishable boxes of ceral on just in case. Seems to me that there is no incremental expense at all and you can offer all pax a choice.
NW?
I'm sure NW loads breakfast choices based on statistical averages.

While it might seem to be a "no-brainer" to add extra boxes of cereal, what happens at the end of the flight to all the extra boxes? They either have to be stored on the plane (it's pretty obvious that is not a practical solution) or off-loaded and stored somewhere else (also not a practical solution.)

Again, it all comes down to averages.
Old May 2, 2007, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by yogimax
I'm sure NW loads breakfast choices based on statistical averages.

While it might seem to be a "no-brainer" to add extra boxes of cereal, what happens at the end of the flight to all the extra boxes? They either have to be stored on the plane (it's pretty obvious that is not a practical solution) or off-loaded and stored somewhere else (also not a practical solution.)

Again, it all comes down to averages.
I assume it goes the same place the un-used Snack basket items or drink carts go...
Old May 2, 2007, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I assume it goes the same place the un-used Snack basket items or drink carts go...
But there is a difference. Cereals are limited to flights which serve breakfast. Drinks are served on every flight.

Seems to me that NW's policy makes a lot of sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.