Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW1531-1+hr delay to install ovens

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
NW1531-1+hr delay to install ovens

If you travel enough, you do see it all. After boarding this DC9 in MSP bound for MCI, we sat there for over an hour. Apparently, the ovens had been removed. The pilot wanted them reinstalled because of a weight/balance issue (we were full). I was in 2 A so it wasn't too painfull. The crew was great and came around with an extra round of pre-departure drinks.
The unanswered question is did the plane get there with or without ovens
Old Mar 16, 2007, 7:54 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I thought all ovens were removed to save weight (and fuel) a long time ago. Not like they are serving hot food on DC-9s any more. For a full flight I would think they would have to REMOVE something, not add more weight. If the had balance issues they could have just rearranged cargo in the holds.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 8:00 am

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
Couldn't they have just moved some extra large pax to the jump seats?
Old Mar 16, 2007, 9:25 am

Programs: NWA, Spirit, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Vulcan
If you travel enough, you do see it all. After boarding this DC9 in MSP bound for MCI, we sat there for over an hour. Apparently, the ovens had been removed. The pilot wanted them reinstalled because of a weight/balance issue (we were full). I was in 2 A so it wasn't too painfull. The crew was great and came around with an extra round of pre-departure drinks.
The unanswered question is did the plane get there with or without ovens
I think the pilot just wanted someplace to warm up his lunch.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Are they really all gone? I know most are. But last year I did get a hot dinner meal on a MSP-DCA DC9 flight. Although I believe they are all Airbii now on this route.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I think they left one in front and took out the two big ones on the side, where you now see the gaping cavities. I too have had hot meals on them
Old Mar 17, 2007, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I think they left one in front and took out the two big ones on the side, where you now see the gaping cavities. I too have had hot meals on them
The two on the sides are the ones the had
to put back in
Old Mar 17, 2007, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
This makes no sense. I read somewhere recently that delayed departures cost an airline an average of $70 per minute. It would have been more cost effective to jettison a passenger or two.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:32 am

Cdl

Could it have something to do with the CDL (Configuration Deviation List)?
When I still worked for NW, I once took a delay for a missing ashtray on a DC-10 (the ones that were installed outside of the bathrooms). Although smoking was no longer allowed, the ashtrays were still part of the CDL and the missing ashtray had to be addressed. Not sure if this applies here since an earlier post indicates ovens have been removed on DC-9's. Perhaps the CDL hadn't been addressed in that particular logbook. Just a thought.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 4:59 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
This makes no sense. I read somewhere recently that delayed departures cost an airline an average of $70 per minute. It would have been more cost effective to jettison a passenger or two.
It still does not make sense since they were ADDING weight. And can the weight of a couple ovens really make a difference to the weight and balance of a full DC9?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by tev9999
It still does not make sense since they were ADDING weight. And can the weight of a couple ovens really make a difference to the weight and balance of a full DC9?
The center of gravity has to be in a certain area of each airframe for takeoff. I've even seen them redistribute pax on an A330 for weight & balance issues at take off.

It's the economics of this particular scenario that make no sense.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
It's the economics of this particular scenario that make no sense.
So, the captain should sacrifice safety for economics???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.