NWA to Caribbean?

Old Feb 19, 07, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
NWA to Caribbean?

We have flight vouchers on NWA. I'd like to look into using them to go to a Caribbean destination.

NWA shows at http://www.nwa.com/travel/trave/route/c_amer.shtml that they offer service to many of these places with codeshare partners - I'm assuming CO, DL, etc.

When I try to book on nwa.com they tell me that:
No Northwest Airlines, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, or codeshare partner flights were found between Philadelphia, PA (PHL) and St Thomas Island, Virgin Islands (U.S.) (STT). Check our service destinations and routes or search for alternatives on our partner sites, listed below.
What gives, am I missing something here? You mean to tell me they won't ticket a Caribbean flight?
Old Feb 20, 07, 12:08 am

Programs: UA, DL, HA, QF (ex-TW, AA, NW)
Originally Posted by Cargojon View Post
We have flight vouchers on NWA. I'd like to look into using them to go to a Caribbean destination.

NWA shows at http://www.nwa.com/travel/trave/route/c_amer.shtml that they offer service to many of these places with codeshare partners - I'm assuming CO, DL, etc.
I'm not sure what "flight vouchers" you have - DB### or PK### or what - but usually the rules on those say that the flights have to be NW-operated. And I don't remember NW actually flying to much in the Caribbean. Maybe San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) - but even if they do that, it might be seasonal service.

(The Caribbean is, of course, not very north or west.)
Old Feb 20, 07, 2:42 am

Programs: DL, AA
I agree with DanTravels, look at the rules for that voucher, it may have to be NW-operated. Many of the destinations are also weekend-only service. Such as St. Thomas, they fly that once weekly on Saturdays.

In fact, the lack of meaningful South American service is my biggest complaint with Northwest.
Old Feb 20, 07, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Cargojon View Post
What gives, am I missing something here? You mean to tell me they won't ticket a Caribbean flight?
The problem is with the flight time from Saint Thomas. NW operates Saturday-only service to STT from DTW on its own metal. But the return flight from STT arrives in DTW at 9:31PM. That is after the last DTW-PHL flight has left for the day. The only way to make this work flying NW metal would be to stay overnight in DTW. Technically, I don't think that's a stopover (since the next flight isn't available until the morning), but I'm not sure it will auto price on nwa.com.

NW does codeshare CO's EWR-STT flights, but since there is no code share on the CO Amtrak "flights" to EWR, you can't use those flights to get to STT. You can't pick up that codeshare from EWR either, since NW can't sell it.

In the Caribbean, NW also flies its own metal on the weekends to SJU and daily or almost daily to Montego Bay (and maybe one or two other locations I've missed). PHL-DTW-SJU can be flown on Saturdays and Sundays. PHL-DTW/MEM-MBJ can be flown most days of the week.

Last edited by longtime lurker; Feb 20, 07 at 3:21 am
Old Feb 20, 07, 3:44 am

Do these NW Carribean destinations also qualify for US domestic elite upgrades (like Mexico and Canada) or are they purchased separately (like "international" destination HNL)?
Old Feb 20, 07, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM View Post
Do these NW Carribean destinations also qualify for US domestic elite upgrades (like Mexico and Canada) or are they purchased separately (like "international" destination HNL)?
Caribbean flights are eligible for upgrades, both on NW and CO.

As a general rule, other than flights from the mainland to Hawaii, if a flight doesn't offer NW World Business Class or CO BusinessFirst service, it is upgradeable.
Old Feb 20, 07, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Thanks all for your thoughts.

(The Caribbean is, of course, not very north or west.)
Neither is China, Japan, Hong Kong, or most of the other places in the "Far East" that NW flies to....

Jamaica isn't in the US either, but US Airways flies there...
Old Feb 20, 07, 3:56 pm

The search engine just isn't designed very well to handle some codeshare flights. It's been this way for a while. Someone should fix it.

You can always try using Orbitz, et al. and pay the $5 booking fee. Or try using the 1-800 number to book.
Old Feb 20, 07, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by longtime lurker View Post
Caribbean flights are eligible for upgrades, both on NW and CO.

As a general rule, other than flights from the mainland to Hawaii, if a flight doesn't offer NW World Business Class or CO BusinessFirst service, it is upgradeable.
Getting an upgrade to SJU on CO is next to impossible. I have been flying it for the last couple of months on H and even a Y. HAve not had an upgrade yet. The only decent way to get their is take NWA to MIA and then jump on AA. You can also do Delta from ATL, but STT is not daily. CO to STT is hard to connect as it leaves EWR at 9 am. Overall the SJU is a good place to go as flights to the other islands are cheap from their.
Old Feb 20, 07, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by troyintn View Post
Getting an upgrade to SJU on CO is next to impossible.
Not necessarily. Last month for the Puerto Rico DO 2, as a NW Plat flying on a CO V fare (earning 100% NW EQMs), I was upgraded EWR-SJU with no problem 5 days out and SJU-IAH 1-2 days before the flight.

Search this Thread