FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   New NW Uniforms? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/662184-new-nw-uniforms.html)

NorthSilver Feb 19, 2007 10:20 am

New NW Uniforms?

An FA sat next to me in FC flying MSP-DFW because the front jump seat was broken (is it just me, or has NW given up on its DC9's now that they've annouced the phase-out? This one was a real rust bucket). We had a great conversation about the latest airline gossip, including a rumor of new uniforms for NW to replace some of the oldest ones in the business. They may be black instead of blue and may feature contrasting collars like Delta's. The FA joked that maybe they're waiting to see which airline they merge with when the bankruptcy ends. :)

Vegas Agent Feb 19, 2007 10:48 am

Originally Posted by NorthSilver (Post 7251780)
An FA sat next to me in FC flying MSP-DFW because the front jump seat was broken (is it just me, or has NW given up on its DC9's now that they've annouced the phase-out? This one was a real rust bucket). We had a great conversation about the latest airline gossip, including a rumor of new uniforms for NW to replace some of the oldest ones in the business. They may be black instead of blue and may feature contrasting collars like Delta's. The FA joked that maybe they're waiting to see which airline they merge with when the bankruptcy ends. :)

New uniforms for FAs and CSAs have been in the works for at least the last year. Employee input was considered in the process and I'm hearing we will see the new duds by the end of summer. In the survey to employees, Delta's uniform was voted the favorite and Southwest fell in second (although, IMO it's hard to find two WN employee's wearing the same uniform at the same time).

DanTravels Feb 19, 2007 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Vegas Agent (Post 7252006)
New uniforms for FAs and CSAs have been in the works for at least the last year. Employee input was considered in the process and I'm hearing we will see the new duds by the end of summer. In the survey to employees, Delta's uniform was voted the favorite and Southwest fell in second (although, IMO it's hard to find two WN employee's wearing the same uniform at the same time).

Where did Singapore's uniforms rank in the voting? Just curious. :)

motytrah Feb 19, 2007 11:59 am

Interesting change. I've wondered if a lot of NW's reluctance to change uniforms has to do with a large chunk of the FA workforce comming from MSP. MN has laws forcing the employer to pay for uniforms in most cases. In most states uniforms can be back to employees as long as it doesn't bring them under min wage.

thezipper Feb 19, 2007 12:31 pm

It was brought up in conversations with NWA mgt, they are looking at it, but nothing has yet been approved. It it has to be ratified by the union as well, so thats been one of the sticking points.

Originally Posted by Vegas Agent (Post 7252006)

GRR_FlyGuy Feb 19, 2007 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah (Post 7252502)
Interesting change. I've wondered if a lot of NW's reluctance to change uniforms has to do with a large chunk of the FA workforce comming from MSP. MN has laws forcing the employer to pay for uniforms in most cases. In most states uniforms can be back to employees as long as it doesn't bring them under min wage.

New Employees buy their uniforms.
Current Employees get replacements for free.