Checkin trouble brewing NW MR. Workaround?

Old Feb 17, 07, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM

This weekend planning DTW-BWI-MSP-LAX-DTW-BWI-DTW

Booked as a single ticket on NWA.com.

Online checkin refuses to allow checkin. Web support says unable to help, use a kiosk or ticket counter. Emails to NWA produce a slew of non-helpful replies.

Problem: Something similar happened a year ago, even tkt counter unable to generate boarding passes except for first leg to LAX at that time. I wouldn't have had time to exit security in LAX to get BP. However, LAX World Club agent was able to generate the rest of the boarding passes.

THIS TIME, there is no BWI WC. No time to exit and reenter security at BWI. So, if DTW can't generate ongoing boarding passes, should I abandon the trip? Or can the boarding gate at BWI etc produce boarding passes even if you are not officially checked in yet? Hate the thought of getting stranded somewhere.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 17, 07, 10:41 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You can get your boarding passes at any NW gate. Do not leave "security" to get BPs, one screening per trip is more than enough for anyone.

Don't sweat it, enjoy your trip and the miles/status you earn.
Old Feb 17, 07, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
why on earth wouldn't the gate be able to print a boarding pass?
Old Feb 17, 07, 10:58 am

Did any of your flights have schedule changes or did you make any changes since originally ticketing?

NW has a nasty habit of not updating the flight coupons when they make changes to your flights. If your coupons don't match your updated itin you can not check in on-line, you can not check in at the kiosks, and agents can not check you in without fixing it.

You can see if this is your problem by going into your itin on nwa.com and looking at your flight coupons and see if they match or not. If they don't, then you need to either wait until you get to the airport or call reservations and have them force someone to fix it while you wait on the phone.
Old Feb 17, 07, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: *wood gold, HHonors silver, United Premier
Thats the reason they are known as Northworst.
Old Feb 17, 07, 11:28 am

Programs: NW Plat, DL 2 MM Flying Colonel, AA EXP MM, CO,NW,UA, MM, Hilton, Hyatt Diamond, QF Club Lifetime
Originally Posted by NDFightinIrish View Post
Thats the reason they are known as Northworst.
What kind of Fighting Irish fan are you?

NW is the official airline of the ND football team.

Just a headsup.
Old Feb 17, 07, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
You can get your boarding passes at any NW gate. Do not leave "security" to get BPs, one screening per trip is more than enough for anyone.

Don't sweat it, enjoy your trip and the miles/status you earn.

Well thanks. If it comes to that I'll let you know how it went
Old Feb 17, 07, 11:51 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by NWAOldtimer View Post
This is a MR, and I may not be able to take it because NW won't give me boarding pases. I assume this issue could be of concern to others as well
How odd... an airline that sells tickets, but then won't issue the proper documentation to allow passengers to board its planes. The planes must be flying empty, which at least will result in some fuel savings for this bankrupt carrier. Of course, there remains that little problem of Northwest fraudulently misrepresenting their product (transportation) when it would seem their true intent is to collect your money and then deny you boarding. I hope you've retained a lawyer.

So - based upon the fact that NW will not give you boarding passes, (As a blanket statement, have you any idea how absurd this sounds?) will they at least refund your money or Rule 240 you over to another carrier who still issues boarding passes to passengers traveling on its discounted fares?

Originally Posted by NWAOldtimer
Online checkin refuses to allow checkin. Web support says unable to help, use a kiosk or ticket counter. Emails to NWA produce a slew of non-helpful replies.
I don't see anything denying you a boarding pass in this statement. What's wrong with using a kiosk?

Originally Posted by NWAOldtimer
Problem: Something similar happened a year ago, even tkt counter unable to generate boarding passes except for first leg to LAX at that time. I wouldn't have had time to exit security in LAX to get BP. However, LAX World Club agent was able to generate the rest of the boarding passes.
So at least they were able to issue you a boarding pass for your first leg. And then the LAX World Club agent was able to generate the rest of the BPs. How does this translate into "NW won't give me boarding pases"?

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 17, 07 at 12:56 pm
Old Feb 17, 07, 12:29 pm

The issue is most likely that OLCI for NWA does not allow check-in with an itinerary that has 4 or more consecutive legs. This is a known issue for MRs (or just travelers with really bad travel agents). Just check-in online for whatever leg(s) you can and if you make it to an airport with a WorldClub (MSP or LAX) with the boarding passes you can get now, go there to get the remainder of your boarding passes issued. Or, as suggested, just go to a non-busy gate agent or even the ticket counter/kiosk. They all should be able to check you in with no problems, especially after you've flown the first segment.

Last edited by bhatnasx; Feb 17, 07 at 1:54 pm Reason: Removed off-topic commentary
Old Feb 17, 07, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NWAOldtimer View Post
How many emails did you send NW to get a "slew of replies"? Are you trying to become known as a difficult customer? Would that somehow be beneficial to you? Just check-in at the damn airport already.
Old Feb 17, 07, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Folks,

I'm moving this to the NW forum as it's not really a MR issue, but a NW issue.

Please keep conversation related to the original post - any off topic commentary isn't necessary. If you think something doesn't belong in the MR forum, report the post. I've deleted some posts. Keep it friendly...

bhatnasx
Mileage Run Moderator
Old Feb 17, 07, 4:21 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP View Post
(or just travelers with really bad travel agents).
Awesome. Made me smile.

I've had the same problem. Kiosk added under a minute to my airport time. I agree that OLCI is nice, but at least the kiosk allows you to not stand in the long line to talk to an agent.
Old Feb 17, 07, 4:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

SchmutzigMSP is correct. I have had this problem with 4 flights in one day. The solution is to call nwa.com Support 1-800-692-6955. Ask for a supervisor to update your record so you can check in for your remaining flights.
Works each time for me-got the same phone rep 2 weeks in a row who helped me with this.

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP View Post
The issue is most likely that OLCI for NWA does not allow check-in with an itinerary that has 4 or more consecutive legs. This is a known issue for MRs (or just travelers with really bad travel agents). Just check-in online for whatever leg(s) you can and if you make it to an airport with a WorldClub (MSP or LAX) with the boarding passes you can get now, go there to get the remainder of your boarding passes issued. Or, as suggested, just go to a non-busy gate agent or even the ticket counter/kiosk. They all should be able to check you in with no problems, especially after you've flown the first segment.
Old Feb 17, 07, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Originally Posted by anbhc View Post
SchmutzigMSP is correct. I have had this problem with 4 flights in one day. The solution is to call nwa.com Support 1-800-692-6955. Ask for a supervisor to update your record so you can check in for your remaining flights.
Works each time for me-got the same phone rep 2 weeks in a row who helped me with this.
Unfortunately, I had to learn this lesson the hard way on an earlier mileage run. Now, I've learned to just call directly so this is fixed before my trip begins. I did try going to a gate agent in one of the cities along the way and they could not check me in. Calling nwa.com was the only thing that worked for me.
Old Feb 17, 07, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Originally Posted by bhatnasx View Post
I'm moving this to the NW forum as it's not really a MR issue, but a NW issue.
Ah... I was wondering where all these semi-rude, not-so-helpful replies were coming from. Makes you wonder what life is like in a couple other forums.

Search this Thread