Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Is the NWA lost luggage tracking site accurate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2007, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PLT

NWA lost my bag going from DTW to CLE yesterday. It has been 24 hours and the NWA site says "Tracing Continues. Please check back later." Should I expect that the site will show some update before the luggage is located?

Based on other's experiences here, how long does it usually take for NWA to find and dleiver luggage from a domestic flight? Does anyone have the luggage office phone number for Cleveland?

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2007, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by lalalala
NWA lost my bag going from DTW to CLE yesterday. It has been 24 hours and the NWA site says "Tracing Continues. Please check back later." Should I expect that the site will show some update before the luggage is located?

Based on other's experiences here, how long does it usually take for NWA to find and dleiver luggage from a domestic flight? Does anyone have the luggage office phone number for Cleveland?

Thanks
I've only had to use it once -- we were coming back to DTW from the west coast -- one of our bags made it to MSP and went back to the west coast.

NW found it within about an hour and I was able to track it OK and sent it out to our house the next day.

Bob H
Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:26 am

NWA lost one of my bags on a flight between SFO and Europe (and I know why, too... something to do with the fact my flight number between SFO/MSP & MSP/ORD being the same, the NWA-standard "direct" flight with a change of aircraft).

KLM and NWA use the same lost luggage tracking website. Entering in your lost luggage "reference number" connects to an external (non NWA/KLM owned) website that lists the status of your luggage.

For the day I was missing my bag, the status also said "Tracing Continues". But once your bag is found and and sent it on its way, the status will still say "Tracing Continues". The *real* status is under the bag tag number about halfway down that web page. If your bag has been found, the tag number will turn into a link which you can click and it will say what flight number it's on next.

Once the bag arrives at the destination airport, then the status at the top of the status page changes from "Tracing continues" to "At Airport" or "In the delivery truck".

hope that helps! I can't imagine there are too many places for your bag to get lost between DTW and CLE.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:06 pm

Programs: NW Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
I'm going to have to say no, in my experience. Today, my luggage was lost in Detroit (inexplicably, as I had over an hour of layover time in DTW) and the luggage trackign site still said "Tracing" 8 hours later. Yet I called the elite line, and they were able to see that my bags were sent from DTW about 3 hours ago. And the website still doesn't reflect that.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Last year I used it a lot. Had a trip with a tight connection weekly. THe site was always way behind. I would have my bags already and it would say they have just arrived into the city. My bags were always two hours behind and at the hotel before I was.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:37 pm

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
Although not related to the website I can say that NW baggage tracking as communicated to the traveler is far better than CO's. When NW mishandles my bag, almost always when filing the claim they have info on the bag - as in "it is in DTW and being put on NWxxxx...". OTOH, w/ CO nobody ever knows any bag status or information at all until it shows up for the courier to get. And they religiously scan the bar codes as loaded into the plane. It doesn't make any sense.

It seems though that the info NW has does not get transmitted very well to the baggage tracking website.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:16 am

Programs: NWA, Priority Club Gold
Over New Year's my luggage didn't make it on my connecting flight. I arrived in MSP from MEM at 10:30am. They said my luggage would be on the next flight at 1:30pm and would be delivered to me. As of 9:30pm the web site said my luggage was still being traced. I went to MSP just in case and my luggage had been there since 6:30pm and had been checked into their system. Unfortunately the website never udpated that information (nor the luggage 800 number).
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:27 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
In my experience, NO! Also, now that many airport operations have been outsourced, even less people know the appropriate procedures and fewer care!
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:24 am

Lost luggage, no information at all...

I flew SFO-DTW-CDG-ARN yesterday. The flight DTW-CDG was a code share operated by AF. The flight CDG-ARN was wholly operated by AF.

I arrive in Sweden and find that my luggage that was checked through to ARN from SFO was not there. I had a tight connection in CDG, 90 minutes, so I thought that could be why, but one of the bags made it. When they searched the system, they had no information about it at all. 20 hours later, there has been no change at all in the system

What is NW policy on lost luggage? Where can I find the information?

Thanks
Old Feb 23, 2007, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by molof
When they searched the system, they had no information about it at all. 20 hours later, there has been no change at all in the system
I assume you're tracking the luggage through AirFrance's system. Do they use the same "WorldSpan" website & service that NWA & KLM uses?

If so, check to see if the bag tag number has a web link attached to it. That would tell you what flight numbers your luggage has been rerouted on.

The fact that your luggage been delayed over 20 hours implies it probably got (temporarily) lost in Detroit and NWA will put your bag(s) on the next AirFrance flight over from DTW. Which would be 24 hours after when you flew over.

It also may be that your luggage is stuck in CDG waiting to be released by European customs. In this case, the luggage website probably wouldn't have too much information either.
What is NW policy on lost luggage? Where can I find the information?
The information is online at NWA's website. I don't know for sure, but I suspect NWA's policy would ultimately not apply to international stations served by AirFrance.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:13 am

After calling quite a few times, we found out that the luggage made it to DTW where AF took over. The luggage sat there for three days before making it to me. I talked to AF and they said that they'd reimburse anything that we needed (going to a wedding and shoesw etc. stuck in lost luggage). I kept the receipts and hope that they will honor their word.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.