KLM TATL op-ups - priority, strategy

Old Feb 15, 07, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
KLM TATL op-ups - priority, strategy

I'm flying KLM 642, JFK-AMS, Friday at 6:10pm.
There may be a chance op-ups: per expertflyer, everything in coach has been 0 for a week or so, and they've been willing to sell 1-2 seats in J bucket for the past week.

- Does anyone know how KLM processes op-ups - status then fare bucket, vice versa, random based on checkin, etc.

- Any strategies (check in early vs. late, arrive early vs. late) for maximizing chances? I'm a PE and my ticket is in M.

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 07, 3:55 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Just volunteer early at checkin and the gate for the biz class seat.
Old Feb 15, 07, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Volunteering worked for me last weekend. I was #1 for a bump - gave it to #2 (he was going somewhere that didnt need an overnight) and I was given WBC. I am 1-2 on KLM TATL.
Old Feb 15, 07, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Diamond, AVIS Pres, Hertz President's Circle
My ( and I mean MY ) experience with KL op-ups is completely unsatisfying. But it may depend who is handling the flight, KL staff or NW staff. KL staff has always left me hanging. Sometimes polite but always without positive result. My experience there is mostly AMS. Also note that depending on the equipment it might not be worth upgrading. The FC seats on the 747M are
nothing better than the seats on NW 757 FC. And generally speaking KL service stinks. Food is bad, service is bad, everything is bad. I thought I would never say this, but it is the truth. Compared to KL, the NW service is a vastly superior service. I fly KL out of NRT due to lack of choice and sometimes NW.COM puts me on KL from LAX to AMS . Southwest's service would be preferable! And I am talking WBC!!! That's my 5 cents worth.

Search this Thread