BUMP to new destination from overbooking

Old Feb 14, 07, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier Gold; Skymiles Silver;IHG Platinum; Hilton ; Marriott Gold
BUMP to new destination from overbooking

If you volunteer to take a bump and the flights to your destination are full for the day, will NWA allow you to take the BUMP and go to a near by airport.

EX. i have a MSP > FNT flight, can I take the bump and go MSP to DTW?
Old Feb 14, 07, 5:06 pm

Programs: Former DL PM, AS MVP
I've been offered to switch from MSP-TUS to MSP-PHX before. Didn't take it, but the option was definitely offered to me.
Old Feb 14, 07, 5:19 pm

I was bumped from DTW to SDF and was offered (and accepted) DTW to CVG with a Northwest-Paid cab to SDF. Worked out fine and I got a free roundtrip ticket out of the deal.
Old Feb 14, 07, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
I have changed my destination on a CO bump before....originally going in to RSW and rebooked to TPA - would have had the option to take a flight to RSW the next morning. If my arrival had coincided with a scheduled bus service they would have covered that - but it was too late - so rebooking the rental car was on my dime - that was understood. We got $1000 in vouchers so I could afford the rental car!
Old Feb 14, 07, 5:54 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Yes. However, don't expect to be bumped to DTW-NRT-MSP if you're flying DTW-MSP.

Usually airports within a reasonable driving range are fine.

- Pat
Old Feb 14, 07, 6:30 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Wasn't a bump, but a few years ago was flying LAX-EWR-FRA on CO when there was a delay on the first leg that would have us miss the connection out of EWR. We offered to go to AMS instead (LAX-IAH-AMS) and it was gladly accepted. Ultimate destination was DUS so it was a train ride either way.
Old Feb 14, 07, 6:45 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Pretty much in a bump situation, everything is up to negotiations...the airlines goal is not to deny anyone their seat and keep the passengers as happy as possible. For me, if I'm trying to volunteer, I usually send five minutes online checking out different alternatives so when the situation presents itself, I can offer an acceptable solution for me and the GA is usually more than willing to go along with you (unless complete unreasonable)
Old Feb 14, 07, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Starwood platinum, Hertz PC
I have been able to bump to several others cities before, twice from NW to other airlines. I think it is all at the discretion if the GAs. I've always wondered if there are some cost benefit algorithms that are employed to allow the decisions to be made.
Old Feb 14, 07, 7:03 pm

Last year I took a bump on DTW-PHX (where I was ticketed) and got switched to DTW-SFO (where I wanted to be). The GA just asked if I understood that I wouldn't be going to PHX if she did that.
Old Feb 14, 07, 7:10 pm

Programs: NW Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, National Emerald Club Elite, Radisson Gold
Works for Standby as Well

In January I was on standby on an earlier flight for MCO-MEM-PNS. When I was at MEM, I checked with the GA for the MEM-VPS flight. She confirmed that I would not make the MEM-PNS flight and allowed me on the MEM-VPS flight.
Old Feb 15, 07, 7:08 am

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
Last year I took a bump on DTW-PHX (where I was ticketed) and got switched to DTW-SFO (where I wanted to be). The GA just asked if I understood that I wouldn't be going to PHX if she did that.
Not everybody is so good with geometry, so it's a good thing that she made sure that you knew that San Francisco is not the same as Phoenix.
Old Feb 15, 07, 7:23 am

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
" Not everybody is so good with geometry, ... "

And sometimes, geography
/.
Old Feb 15, 07, 7:38 am

Two years ago I was called by NWA on my cell phone as I was on my way to MSP, they asked if I would take a bump on my MSP-SJC, and they offered me the usual $300 plus a flight MSP-SFO, which I took.
Old Feb 15, 07, 8:47 am

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I've negotiated LAX and a cab or supershuttle voucher for ONT on both NW and UA.

Search this Thread