Negative Mileage

Old Feb 12, 07, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Location: NW Platinum, UA UGS, Hertz Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Negative Mileage

I'm currently a Gold (will become Platinum at end of the month) and have 120,000 miles but need 135,000 for an award - I have enough trips in the next month to hit 135,000 already booked but would NWA let my mileage balance go negative for a few weeks until I complete those flights? I just got this idea because it was (maybe still is) a perk extended to Lufthansa Senators and was wondering if anyone has had any experience. Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 07, 5:37 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
My experience has been that NW is pretty strict with this. I was only 100-200 miles short of enough miles for an award last year - "you can buy miles" was the response. I found a way to earn the miles through a survey or something that got me over the limit at the time.
Old Feb 12, 07, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by lavasushi View Post
I just got this idea because it was (maybe still is) a perk extended to Lufthansa Senators and was wondering if anyone has had any experience. Thanks.
Wow. If that is still a benefit for LH Senators, then that is a pretty sweet deal.

As posted, NW is very strict about mileage redemption/earning rules. I would bet my bottom dollar that you'll have no success convincing them to loan you the 10-15,000 extra miles you need.
Old Feb 12, 07, 6:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Nope, because there is no guarantee that those flights will actually be completed.
Old Feb 15, 07, 2:52 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I am currently negative 50 miles on US....redeemed for magazines and it went thru despite being short....Never had this experience on NW, though I haven't tried..
Old Feb 15, 07, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Diamond, AVIS Pres, Hertz President's Circle
In your profile you say you are a NW PE already. So why ask about NW accomodations? Anyway, really, it is my honest opinion that all this talk about "Ifs" and "Hows" is a bit insincere. We all have to live within the system and it's the way it is. If we are lucky sometimes ( I have not been lucky, yet ) than the better; but trying to beat the system seems something none of us can achieve. Also, honestly, if I cannot get what you want, then
I don't want you to get it. Alternatively, if you get it, I want it as well. Please don't take it personal, it's just my opinion.
Old Feb 15, 07, 7:24 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT View Post
In your profile you say you are a NW PE already. So why ask about NW accomodations? Anyway, really, it is my honest opinion that all this talk about "Ifs" and "Hows" is a bit insincere. We all have to live within the system and it's the way it is. If we are lucky sometimes ( I have not been lucky, yet ) than the better; but trying to beat the system seems something none of us can achieve. Also, honestly, if I cannot get what you want, then
I don't want you to get it. Alternatively, if you get it, I want it as well. Please don't take it personal, it's just my opinion.
I think the OP was asking if it was within the system to allow elite members to temporarily carry negative balances, especially with flights coming up to put him/her back to a positive balance.

To the OP, I have no idea as I've never tried. If they do, though, that would be a nice perk.
Old Feb 16, 07, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by cmdinnyc View Post
I think the OP was asking if it was within the system to allow elite members to temporarily carry negative balances, especially with flights coming up to put him/her back to a positive balance.

To the OP, I have no idea as I've never tried. If they do, though, that would be a nice perk.
They do not. United used to do this and as a 1K and I took advantage of it a couple of times. NW will not let you go negative, at least that is what I was told a few years back.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: