Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Decoding the meal formula (when do we eat?) on domestic flights.

Old Feb 8, 07, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, BD GE

Just spent a fair amount of time on the horn with WorldPerks trying to figure out if I get dinner DTW-ATL at 5:10.

After telling me they wouldn't, the agent put me on hold for ten minutes then corrected herself. She told me the formula is as follows:

Breakfast: 6 - 9:30
Lunch: 11 - 1:15
Dinner: 4:30 - 7:15

On any flights longer than 1:45.
With the exception of west coast trips and redeyes. She wasn't sure why the west coast restriction was in place.

Anybody have any experience to the contrary?
Old Feb 8, 07, 10:46 am

I always thought the cut-off was meal time flights that are longer than 2.5 hours? I notice on NWA.com your flight to ATL is not listed as having a meal.
Old Feb 8, 07, 10:50 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hertz 5*
The time they use is flight time, not scheduled departure to scheduled arrival. Thus your flight is probably too short to get a meal. You can always make a dummy booking or look in your reservations to see if your flight is getting a meal. The 5:10pm DTW-ATL today is not getting a meal.

Northwest Airlines 473

Booking Class: F / First Class
Ticket Designator:
Meal: none
Equipment: D95
Thu, Feb 8
5:10pm Depart Detroit (DTW)
7:14pm Arrive Atlanta (ATL)
Old Feb 8, 07, 12:20 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Originally Posted by nathockens View Post
Anybody have any experience to the contrary?
According to NWA, there has been no change in meal scheduling. The information provided by the Elite line is incorrect.

The following are Northwest’s meal scheduling parameters, provided by the Managing Dir. Onboard Services and Catering, with exceptions noted:

Flights longer than 2 ½ hours (flight time)
Scheduled flight departure time in relationship to the following time windows:

Breakfast 5:00am – 9:45am
Lunch 9:46am – 1:30pm
Snack 1:31pm – 3:59pm
Dinner 4:00pm – 7:30pm

The lunch, snack, and dinner window will slightly vary for longer flights as well as on the direction of the flight (east bound versus west bound). Some examples:

DTW-LAX’s dinner ending parameter time is 8:00pm vs. 7:30pm
MSP-TPA’s lunch ending parameter time is 1:59pm vs. 1:30pm
Old Feb 8, 07, 2:28 pm

Hopefully you get a plane with an oven

Was on a MSP ATL flite a couple of weeks ago. As we were pushing back from the gate the F/A told us that the good news was that a full dinner was catered for F/C. The bad news was that the ovens had all been taken out of our DC9 and dinner was pretty much frozen.
He brought out the trays with the salad, a cookie, and a can of Pringles. He did his best, and made sure the beverages were flowing.
Old Feb 8, 07, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL mm, HHonors diamond
Never expect a hot meal on a NW DC9, if you are scheduled on this a/c and have a meal it will be a cold salad or cold sandwich.

RC

Originally Posted by frankc98376 View Post
Was on a MSP ATL flite a couple of weeks ago. As we were pushing back from the gate the F/A told us that the good news was that a full dinner was catered for F/C. The bad news was that the ovens had all been taken out of our DC9 and dinner was pretty much frozen.
He brought out the trays with the salad, a cookie, and a can of Pringles. He did his best, and made sure the beverages were flowing.
Old Feb 8, 07, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Darn it! So they moved the 7:30 DCA-MP to 7:50 and we lose our dinner!

I thought the 9s still had one oven in front, and the two on the side were gone.
Old Feb 8, 07, 7:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf View Post
I thought the 9s still had one oven in front, and the two on the side were gone.
They do, when they work.
Old Feb 8, 07, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by thezipper View Post
According to NWA, there has been no change in meal scheduling. The information provided by the Elite line is incorrect.

The following are Northwest’s meal scheduling parameters, provided by the Managing Dir. Onboard Services and Catering, with exceptions noted:

Scheduled flight departure time in relationship to the following time windows:

Breakfast 5:00am – 9:45am
Lunch 9:46am – 1:30pm
Snack 1:31pm – 3:59pm
Dinner 4:00pm – 7:30pm

The lunch, snack, and dinner window will slightly vary for longer flights as well as on the direction of the flight (east bound versus west bound). Some examples:

DTW-LAX’s dinner ending parameter time is 8:00pm vs. 7:30pm
MSP-TPA’s lunch ending parameter time is 1:59pm vs. 1:30pm
MEM-LAS 750pm departure should be added to the dinner "outside of the box" list.
Old Feb 8, 07, 7:25 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
I have one DTW-PHX NW261 coming departing at 7:40pm, which says no meal service on FC. 10 min...dang...so close.
Old Feb 8, 07, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by thezipper View Post

THe flight from MCO-DTW is always announced from the captain as 2:08 flying time and in the time range mentioned before, there is always a meal.

I have heard it's flying time over 2 hours too...?
Old Feb 9, 07, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by lambrettaStarr View Post
THe flight from MCO-DTW is always announced from the captain as 2:08 flying time and in the time range mentioned before, there is always a meal.

I have heard it's flying time over 2 hours too...?
It goes on block time and not actual flying time. The block time between DTW and MCO is just over 2.5 hours, which is why you get a meal.
Old Feb 9, 07, 9:12 am

There are definate exceptions as thezipper noted. For example, the MSP-DCA flights get a meal, even though they are just shy of the 2.5 hour rule. Same for MSP-BWI. Also, the afternoon IND-LAX gets a meal, even though it departs and arrives during the 'snack' window.
Old Feb 9, 07, 9:42 am

Actually the DC9 we were on had all of the ovens removed. It was a 30 so we were wondering if it was getting ready for "summer vacation" in Arizona
It seemed such a waste that all the food they had catered would have to be thrown away after the plane sat overnight in ATL. What a waste...........
Old Feb 9, 07, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by magyarflieger View Post
There are definate exceptions as thezipper noted. For example, the MSP-DCA flights get a meal, even though they are just shy of the 2.5 hour rule. Same for MSP-BWI. Also, the afternoon IND-LAX gets a meal, even though it departs and arrives during the 'snack' window.
There wsa an article I read post 9/11 as food cutbacks were coming that specifically mentioned NW as an airline that sometimes based fod service on the perceived value of the route as a business route Vs a leisure.

That's why I have always assumed the DCA/MSP flights get meals. Lots of corgress people, busniess travelers, etc. It's one of the reasons when I do transcons out of DCA I try to stop in MSP beacuse its two meals to the west coast.

Search this Thread