FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   A NW Volunteer Program? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/657030-nw-volunteer-program.html)

humanoid94 Feb 6, 2007 1:35 pm

A NW Volunteer Program?

Hi All,

I know this is a random question, but in December I was flying DCA-DTW the Saturday before Christmas. It was a very elite light plane and there were a ton of op-ups (I was in First, naturally). The person who boarded the plane in front of me wore a NW badge that had in big letters at the top "Volunteer." Although he was up front I was not sitting near here, otherwise I would have been sure to ask him what the duties and benefits of being a volunteer were.

Has anyone heard of a NW Volunteer program? (I swear I had only been at the WC for an hour, so I couldn't have been too far gone...) Does anyone know the duties and responsibilities? Benefits?

Vegas Agent Feb 6, 2007 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by humanoid94 (Post 7169991)
Hi All,

I know this is a random question, but in December I was flying DCA-DTW the Saturday before Christmas. It was a very elite light plane and there were a ton of op-ups (I was in First, naturally). The person who boarded the plane in front of me wore a NW badge that had in big letters at the top "Volunteer." Although he was up front I was not sitting near here, otherwise I would have been sure to ask him what the duties and benefits of being a volunteer were.

Has anyone heard of a NW Volunteer program? (I swear I had only been at the WC for an hour, so I couldn't have been too far gone...) Does anyone know the duties and responsibilities? Benefits?

Could have been a number of programs he was involved in:

ASSIST (don't recall what the letters actually stand for)- which is a program consisting of 100s of employees throughout the system who are utilitzed in the event of an aircraft accident (dealing with information, the families, and vendors/etc required when a disaster occurs). Training programs are held a number of times each year.

Habitat for Humanity- many familiar with this. NW has a number of employees who volunteer on behalf of the airline.

Employee Appreciation Events- staffing for registration/information booths, coordinating, etc. The last one I remember was in November, if memory serves me correctly at the Mall of America/Camp Snoopy.

NW Retirees - there is a volunteer program for retirees who work in various airports assisting with providing information/assistance to customers.

humanoid94 Feb 6, 2007 2:25 pm

Thanks for the information, my guess is that he was one of those NW retirees probably assisting with the craziness around the holidays.

DanTravels Feb 6, 2007 2:33 pm

Drat... gotta be an employee.

Wonder if they'd consider recruiting us FTers. ;)

degendanny Feb 6, 2007 3:00 pm

I believe those people are the ones that are there in case of emergency, they may have occupations such as emt, firefighter, police officer etc as their day job.