Wiki Posts
Search

Which is the "best" NWA hub?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P
Which is the "best" NWA hub?

Minneapolis, Detroit, or Memphis? "Best" could be defined as many definitions. Please define best by your own definition and share why you feel a particular hub is better than others.

Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:54 am

I think it is DTW. Nice new terminal, new Worldclubs, a ton of capacity so there are seldom long waits to take off or to get to one's gate.

That being sad, there are positives with MSP (light rail to Mall of America on long layovers), and MEM (Interstate BBQ is the tastiest fast food in the system).
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:54 am

Dtw

I like DTW the most somply because of the 3 clubs on the main terminal and easy tram/walkway access.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta DM, HH Diamond
I prefer DTW for the quick tram and several WCs. But, geographically speaking, coming from the Northeast I prefer MSP when heading to the west coast as it breaks up the trip more evenly.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:14 am

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
DTW is the best hub (in operation, appearance)...
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
DTW, not even close anymore.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta - Silver
Not sure if it's because I call it home, or because it truly is a great airport... but, I'd have to say that DTW takes the cake (never even flown through MPS ). Memphis was fine, just never really felt like a big hub to me... even after spending 5 hours there after missing a connection! I really like the large open air feel that DTW provides. The older terminals exude a much different feeling.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:28 am
poe

Programs: DL GM
IMO MSP is much better than DTW when returning from overseas - faster checked baggage retrieval and customs clearance. I've never passed through MEM.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
MEM...sure, it's a little run down. But dining options are good, easy to navigate, pretty good WC. Best part, you can generally snag 30-40 minute connections, easily make them, and most importantly, I have never experienced departure or arrival delays because of traffic and am almost always number one for take-off.

DTW sure is nice to look at though.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1k, NW GE MM, US Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat
DTW

showers in the WP lounge
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
You're forgetting...

NRT! It's the best because it has zero CRJ and zero DC-9 flights.

(Can I get an amen?)
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:48 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Ritz Carlton Plat, Hyatt Diamond, DL Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Phil2016
MEM...sure, it's a little run down. But dining options are good, easy to navigate, pretty good WC. Best part, you can generally snag 30-40 minute connections, easily make them, and most importantly, I have never experienced departure or arrival delays because of traffic and am almost always number one for take-off.

DTW sure is nice to look at though.
MEM does have Jim Neland's (sp?) Interstate BBQ... nonetheless I have to say DTW has the better overall package. Clean, airy, efficient, WC's within a 2 minute walk of every gate.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott, *wood
Gotta go with MSP (and yes, of course I'm biased)

I too like DTW's terminal, and wish ours was newer. Especially like the airy feeling in DTW, MSP can seem like a bunch of tunnels sometines. And I love going through the walkway with all the cool lights and music.

However, MSP wins for better weather handling, and in my experience, better overall operations. I go through DTW about 8 - 10 times a year, versus almost every week through MSP.

Also really the new shopping area (Northstar Crossing) is pretty spiffy.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:00 am

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
You say NRT/DTW/MSP/MEM, I say HNL

I honestly have to say that I like HNL. I love the warm Hawaiian breezes blowing through the terminal, the music, the laid-back atmosphere (like MEM). But as far as the US48 goes, I like DTW its so beautiful, efficient, spacious. Even the views out the floor to ceiling windows of the aircraft are wonderful, they make flying seem like what it used to be back in the day (until you get onboard). I love the WC's there (especially the art).

I grew up in MSP and have a strong liking for MSP, but isn't it about time to overhaul the G/F WC in MSP? I mean, come on.

Most int'l (NRT/AMS/LGW) passengers use that club and it pretty much sucks. I think they just need to bite the bullet, take over Chili's for a month and make that the temp WC (my dream cause I like margaritas) and then get it done quickly. There aren't many other ways to do it.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott, *wood
Originally Posted by jacksafar

I grew up in MSP and have a strong liking for MSP, but isn't it about time to overhaul the G/F WC in MSP? I mean, come on.

I second that motion!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.