Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Check-in & security in ORD (NW F ticket, KLM Platinum)

Old Feb 3, 07, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb

Hi NW friends!

I am flying NW next week on an F ticket (was recently upgraded) from ORD to YUL with a stop in DTW. Is the check-in deadline for domestic flights 30 minutes before take off regardless the class of service? is there a fast track security lane for Elite Plus and/or F tickets in ORD?

thanks!
Old Feb 3, 07, 11:53 am

Check-in deadlines are posted here:
http://www.nwa.com/features/update_airport.shtml

ORD has an elite security line, but it is no faster than the regular line.
Old Feb 3, 07, 12:24 pm

Programs: Former DL PM, AS MVP
The check-in cut off should be 30 minutes, but when I was there the other day for a 7am flight, the elite security line took at least 20 minutes, so I would recommending padding more than 30 minutes. We got there 45 minutes before and were sprinting to the closing door.
Old Feb 3, 07, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
I too think the elite security line at ORD is often slower than the regular line. Elites queue for only one magnetometer, while the "regular" line usually splits into two. Also, the distant E gates that NW uses are quite a hike from check-in... I'd get there no less than an hour before game time.
Old Feb 3, 07, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
As a note - the elite line for ORD has moved to the far right end of the terminal - it is no longer part of the regular security line (as I learned the hard way on thursday).
Old Feb 3, 07, 9:13 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Originally Posted by gldwebs View Post
As a note - the elite line for ORD has moved to the far right end of the terminal - it is no longer part of the regular security line (as I learned the hard way on thursday).
Yes, it took me by surprise last month to find the Elite Security Line had been moved all the way down to the end of the terminal. But there was absolutely no waiting in that line at all! While it was quite a long walk down there, and then an equally long walk back to the center to the E/F concourse in order to get to the gates, I would venture to say that I got through in far less time than if I had used the regular security line. But it could have been quite different at a different time during the day. This was at 1:30 in the afternoon, on a Tuesday.
Old Feb 3, 07, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mrcimino1 View Post
Yes, it took me by surprise last month to find the Elite Security Line had been moved all the way down to the end of the terminal. But there was absolutely no waiting in that line at all! While it was quite a long walk down there, and then an equally long walk back to the center to the E/F concourse in order to get to the gates, I would venture to say that I got through in far less time than if I had used the regular security line. But it could have been quite different at a different time during the day. This was at 1:30 in the afternoon, on a Tuesday.
My surprise was a little worse. I didnt notice the big signs pointing down the hall so instead I kinda (and against my normal behavior) cut the HUGE line. I was quickly pointed in the right direction.

(PS - if any of you were in that line I am sorry)
Old Feb 3, 07, 9:33 pm

I was told that baggage needs to be checked in 40 min prior to take off at the absolute latest. ORD's security line can be alot faster but it really depends on how busy the airport is (the busier the airport, usually the faster the priority check in has been for me). Also, curb side baggage check can save you gobs of time if you need to check a bag.
Old Feb 5, 07, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
thanks for the advices! if i am getting quite late there, i'll call to change my ticket perhaps...
have a nice post-super bowl evening!

Search this Thread