FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   What happens to e-certs after ticketing, then cancelling the ticket? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/652901-what-happens-e-certs-after-ticketing-then-cancelling-ticket.html)

NOLAnwGOLD Jan 27, 2007 2:58 am

What happens to e-certs after ticketing, then cancelling the ticket?

So say you book a ticket with an e-cert (dollars off certificate) and then cancel the ticket within the next day...does the e-cert become reactive or is it gone forever?

Donna49 Jan 27, 2007 3:43 am

My experience has been that once an e-cert has been used, it is gone forever.

SchmutzigMSP Jan 27, 2007 8:38 am

Not only has it been my experience as well, but it is also NW policy. Once a reservation has been ticketed with an e-cert, the e-cert is considered used and cannot be reused regardless of whether or not you take the trip.

slippahs Jan 27, 2007 3:06 pm

If you look carefully, the policy is written into the fare rules:

NOTE - 1.CUSTOMERS FIRST POLICY.

A. WHEN RESERVATIONS ARE MADE AND TICKETS ARE PURCHASED ON THE SAME DAY REFUNDS EQUIVALENT TO THE AMOUNT PAID WILL BE PERMITTED UP TO 1 DAY AFTER THE TICKET IS PURCHASED AT NO CHARGE. ANY CERTIFICATE OFFER WILL BE DEEMED USED AND WILL NOT BE REPLACED. B. FARES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AND NOT GUARANTEED UNTIL A TICKET IS PURCHASED.

UA vs NW Jan 27, 2007 8:27 pm

E-cert can be unlocked for re-use

It happened to me several times that I had to cancel NW tickets purchased using E-certificates (PD, PK dollar off ones). Two or three times when I was short of e-certs, I did ask agents to unlock those e-certificates so that I could reuse them. The agents can not do it by themselves but they called some department and got it done. :)

SchmutzigMSP Jan 27, 2007 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by UA vs NW (Post 7105830)
The agents can not do it by themselves but they called some department and got it done. :)

This is most certainly an exception to the rule. I've been told by agents countless times that it's not possible and against policy. Plus, as pointed out by slippahs, it's actually specified in the fare rules. If you get it reinstated, great. But by no means should someone expect, demand, or otherwise insist on a reinstatement, especially if they know the rules. :)

slippahs Jan 28, 2007 12:02 am

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP (Post 7106387)
This is most certainly an exception to the rule. I've been told by agents countless times that it's not possible and against policy. Plus, as pointed out by slippahs, it's actually specified in the fare rules. If you get it reinstated, great. But by no means should someone expect, demand, or otherwise insist on a reinstatement, especially if they know the rules. :)

What, is the "no waivers, no favors" policy strictly being enforced? ;)

muhakas Jan 29, 2007 7:22 pm

Hmm. I know that about 18 months ago I got zone certs reinstated several times when my travel plans changed . . . that was when you called to cancel within 24 hours. Each time I asked about the cert and it was cleared for use again . . . but that language wasn't in the terms and conditions then either.

NOLAnwGOLD Jan 29, 2007 7:39 pm

I was told by the agent when I canceled before 24 hours that it would be clear to use after the ticket was refunded, roughly in a week. We'll see, though it expires soon so might not have a chance to use it...

Wildman Jan 29, 2007 10:13 pm

I have canceled under the 24 hour rule, agent said the ecert would be good....it was not. Call in again, agent said, "I'll get a supervisor to unlock it." Again no good....call in again, "once used and ticketed, they are deem used." It was an absolute no, even though before I canceled the ticket, I asked the question and received the wrong answer. Live and learn. Only time you can back out is if you just booked it and it has NOT been ticketed yet. Call reservation line immediately to have any chance to use it again.

fly co to see the yanks Jan 30, 2007 10:25 am

what about bump vouchers? does the code work or does NWA have to re-send new bump vouchers?

SchmutzigMSP Jan 30, 2007 10:35 am

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks (Post 7121760)
what about bump vouchers? does the code work or does NWA have to re-send new bump vouchers?

Bump vouchers should be in the electronic form and should appear under "Reservations Center -> Manage My Reservations -> My Electronic Credit Vouchers". If you cancel or get a refund, the balance of your vouchers should still be in that area.