FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   EWR WorldClub location? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/644609-ewr-worldclub-location.html)

crnk Jan 7, 2007 4:47 pm

EWR WorldClub location?

I'm more of a regular over at CO and am considering the President's Club membership, but based on a couple months of travel coming up very soon and the fact I'm not too sure I want to splurge on the year of membership, they suggested trying the 60 day from NW.

according to the website:
For more information or to purchase a 60-day membership, simply ask a WorldClubs representative at any Northwest-operated WorldClubs location in North America, or call the WorldClubs Service Center at 1-800-692-3788.

A 60-day WorldClubs Temporary Membership is available for purchase only at the following participating Northwest-operated WorldClubs locations: [list deleted, includes EWR]

1. Can this be purchased over the phone as somewhat suggested by NW website or just in person at EWR/other locations?
2. If purchased on the phone, is it immediate membership, including partner lounge access (can I buy Friday morning and use it at CO's EWR PC that afternoon)?
3. If I do need to purchase in person, can I get to the EWR WC with a CO boarding pass? Options for this include---First, is it past security or not (no website explicitly says)? Second, if it is past security, will a CO boarding pass for a terminal C gate get me there? Third, is there a passage between B and C for connecting pax so they don't have to re-clear TSA?

Thanks a ton!

UVAhoo06 Jan 7, 2007 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by crnk (Post 6970560)
I'm more of a regular over at CO and am considering the President's Club membership, but based on a couple months of travel coming up very soon and the fact I'm not too sure I want to splurge on the year of membership, they suggested trying the 60 day from NW.

according to the website:
For more information or to purchase a 60-day membership, simply ask a WorldClubs representative at any Northwest-operated WorldClubs location in North America, or call the WorldClubs Service Center at 1-800-692-3788.

A 60-day WorldClubs Temporary Membership is available for purchase only at the following participating Northwest-operated WorldClubs locations: [list deleted, includes EWR]

1. Can this be purchased over the phone as somewhat suggested by NW website or just in person at EWR/other locations?
2. If purchased on the phone, is it immediate membership, including partner lounge access (can I buy Friday morning and use it at CO's EWR PC that afternoon)?
3. If I do need to purchase in person, can I get to the EWR WC with a CO boarding pass? Options for this include---First, is it past security or not (no website explicitly says)? Second, if it is past security, will a CO boarding pass for a terminal C gate get me there? Third, is there a passage between B and C for connecting pax so they don't have to re-clear TSA?

Thanks a ton!

1. You can purchase it over the phone and have it sent to you, especially if you need it ASAP. Before I took my first MR--thanks to avidflyer and FT--I bought a 60-day membership from the BOS WC. You simply get their number either from the nwa.com website or the WorldClub phone number on the nwa.com site.

2. It grants you immediate access as soon as you physically have the card. There is no lag time, unless you're like me where you have to wait for it in the mail. Honestly, the card is nothing special: just a white card with your name, WP#, and valid dates on it.

3. You can get it from any WC. You simply walk in and there will be a "door guardsman/woman" who looks at your card. From there, just tell him/her that you're interested in purchasing a 60-day membership. They'll direct you to the right person in the WC. Then again, it could very well be the guardsman/woman who can sell you a pass. I'm not sure about the EWR thing, because the terminals aren't connected in terms of the sterile zone. You have to exit and re-enter security everytime you go to a different terminal, except for A and C (you can take the shuttle--the only catch is to show them a valid BP). Good luck! The WC pass is amazing. Also, if you're newly elite with NW, you'll get a packet in the mail that will offer you a reduced price for a 60-day WC membership. I think it's roughly $65 for an elite.

Take care.

UVA Hoo '06 :)

crnk Jan 7, 2007 5:31 pm

Well, there lies the problem. I just counted out and I need it for 59 days based on my current trips, so I'd take it that the mail is not an option.
Not sure if the EWR WC is in the sterile zone, but sounds like it might be and I don't have a way to get in there, since there is no sterile passage through to B.

I guess my only options I see at this point are:
1. buy it at another WC. I think the LGA is pre-TSA, so I could buy it there on that day--but LGA is pretty far out of the way for me, so it would be a pain.
2. Second, do the common trick at CO that some people use to get access to PC when they are not flying---that is, buy a full Y ticket, use it to clear security, and then either ask them to refund/cancel it at the club, or call in and cancel the ticket. It would work, just a pain because all I saw on the NW website was 1k+ for a Y--something I could do, but is painfully harsh on credit limit a few hours before I leave the country.

any other options/suggestions for how to reach the WC?

clarence5ybr Jan 7, 2007 6:01 pm

If you purchase over the phone but need club access before the card arrives, they can e-mail and/or fax a "letter of introduction" to you that works fine getting into the WCs (and partner lounges too). They got mine e-mailed to me a couple hours after I purchased.

And yes, the EWR WC is airside.

secretsea18 Jan 7, 2007 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by crnk (Post 6970762)

I guess my only options I see at this point are:
1. buy it at another WC. I think the LGA is pre-TSA, so I could buy it there on that day--but LGA is pretty far out of the way for me, so it would be a pain.
2. Second, do the common trick at CO that some people use to get access to PC when they are not flying---that is, buy a full Y ticket, use it to clear security, and then either ask them to refund/cancel it at the club, or call in and cancel the ticket. It would work, just a pain because all I saw on the NW website was 1k+ for a Y--something I could do, but is painfully harsh on credit limit a few hours before I leave the country.

any other options/suggestions for how to reach the WC?

LGA WC is not pre-TSA. It is just after the security check. :(

clarence5ybr Jan 7, 2007 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by crnk (Post 6970762)
I think the LGA is pre-TSA, so I could buy it there on that day

As secretsea18 pointed out, the LGA WC is just after security. You may be thinking of JFK--the club there is before security, but it's not a true WC, so you won't be able to buy a 60-day membership there.

crnk Jan 7, 2007 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by clarence5ybr (Post 6970903)
If you purchase over the phone but need club access before the card arrives, they can e-mail and/or fax a "letter of introduction" to you that works fine getting into the WCs (and partner lounges too). They got mine e-mailed to me a couple hours after I purchased.

And yes, the EWR WC is airside.

Great to know, thanks! Glad to see I won't jump through a bunch of hoops to get access before it arrives.

As to the others with LGA--Thanks for that info, I guess for some reason I was thinking it was like the usually hated CO lounge at LGA that is pre-TSA (hated for that reason, not others).

secretsea18 Jan 10, 2007 7:12 am

Originally Posted by crnk (Post 6971263)

As to the others with LGA--Thanks for that info, I guess for some reason I was thinking it was like the usually hated CO lounge at LGA that is pre-TSA (hated for that reason, not others).

Especially when you have an early morning flight, and the TSA line goes on FOREVER! Do people even go into the PC there before their flight???? :confused:

humanoid94 Jan 10, 2007 8:37 am

Don't suppose you will be passing through/near DCA? The WC there is before security.

MKEbound Jan 10, 2007 8:47 am

Call the WC in EWR the first day you want to use the pass.

They can call the TSA checkpoint and approve you to pass though the checkpoint without a BP to visit the club and get your 60 pass.

You can find the number for the EWR WC on the WC locations page on NWA.com

abefroman329 Jan 10, 2007 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by secretsea18 (Post 6970952)
LGA WC is not pre-TSA. It is just after the security check. :(

Says "Behind Northwest ticket counter, adjacent to security checkpoint." But you have to go thru the security checkpoint?

Broader question: I had planned to buy a 60-day membership to use at the shared lounge at JFK T4 next Thurs. Per the instructions for purchasing said membership: "To use your Temporary Membership, you must be issued a Temporary Membership card at any domestic Northwest Airlines WorldClubs lounge; you must present your online confirmation page and government-issued photo identification. Affiliate (non-Northwest-operated) lounges will not accept your confirmation page as proof of payment for entry to their lounge locations."

I HAD planned to just go to LGA Sat to get my card, since I thought the club was before security. Am I SOL now, or is there another option (besides having it mailed, yeah right) that I'm not thinking of?

puddy Feb 6, 2007 4:26 pm

Not sure if this is still relevant, but when I signed online yesterday at a WC, the WC News page stated that you can now purchase 60-day memberships online. I went to the WC page and it still said you must buy them at certain clubs. Went to go to the application page, but it asked for WP # so since I don't know mine, I stopped there.

Hope this helps.