Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Asian Elite Status vs. American Elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.

Sorry, I'm a "newer" NW flyer.

Basically my understanding is that by having the Asian Elite status, I am allowed into basically any worldclub-- Even on a domestic US ticket. Is this correct?

Are there any more "major" differences between the two. If so, which one is more preferable?

Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:56 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Be sure you are really based in Asia before applying for an Asian based card

There is one Asia based benefit, free access into WC and President's Clubs, and alliance partners (rules vary) but a word of caution.

If your Worldperks account is analysed the IT fraud Squad at NW can determine if a pattern of USA flying is occuring vs. asia based flying. If , for xample you started and finished in FNT on 22 roundtrips and have a asain address it would appear that you live in the Flint area, not in Asia.

In the USA all club memberships are bought. The culture, and marketing climate are diffferent than in Asia. Accodingly, NW looks at club membership as revenue generating. Anyone that knowingly defraud NW out of domestic club memberships by setting up a fake foreign (asian) address has commited a serious fraud. That is how NW looks at this.

It gets worse, when a pax is identified to have "Suspected Fraud" the WP account is flagged for the next 5-10 years and elite line agents see "suspected Fraud" on the screen everytime you call and are instructed to accomodate the pax needs to the letter of the program only.

No waivers, extra unpublished benefits (2% Club, etc) are extended.

RC
Old Dec 30, 2006, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Radiocycle
No waivers, extra unpublished benefits (2% Club, etc) are extended.
How is this any different than the "no waivers, no favors" attitude the airline takes to elite members now?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Well, I do actually own property and keep a residence in Asia, but only live there 2-3 months/year. That's why I figured I could be "based" out of Asia. Either way, I always fly either BR or CI transpac as they are typically cheaper than NWA and is the policy of the company I work for, but am allowed free reign on who I use domestically.

I guess I can understand the "fraud department" giving me headaches, but is that any different than what they're doing now?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by party_boy
Well, I do actually own property and keep a residence in Asia, but only live there 2-3 months/year. That's why I figured I could be "based" out of Asia. Either way, I always fly either BR or CI transpac as they are typically cheaper than NWA and is the policy of the company I work for, but am allowed free reign on who I use domestically.

I guess I can understand the "fraud department" giving me headaches, but is that any different than what they're doing now?
Were you in the MSP F-G WC yesterday? I was talking to a guy about this very subject so I figured I'd ask.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 5:29 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I didnt realize the Asia lounge benefit was this broad. I had read thru the Asia program materials and thought the Asia lounge benefit was broader only in that Golds got lounge access on int'l economy tickets. But now I see something on page 14 of the Asia benefits guide that says golds and plats get complementary access to ALL NW and affiliated lounges. Can someone confirm? If so I guess I wont need to renew my Worldclubs membership...
Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:32 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
One of the other major differences is the promo's that are offered to only US based flyers. If you can do without them, then you might want to think about it...

Originally Posted by party_boy
Are there any more "major" differences between the two. If so, which one is more preferable?

Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by thezipper
One of the other major differences is the promo's that are offered to only US based flyers. If you can do without them, then you might want to think about it...
*ahem* Most of those are offered to only US48 based flyers, or require travel originating in US48. Not all US flyers get the same benefits. (AK and HI have different ones.)
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DanTravels
*ahem* Most of those are offered to only US48 based flyers, or require travel originating in US48. Not all US flyers get the same benefits. (AK and HI have different ones.)
All the major promos are still offered to those based in the "special" ( ) states of AK/HI: MileZilla and MileZilla-type promos, FFF-type promos. What promos are you referring to that are only available to those based in the CONUS?

And, the last thing we need to do is complain, seeing how NW extends a very nice unpublished benefit to us based in HI.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:07 pm

When you speak to the Elite Line the CSR sees SUSPECTED FRAUD flashing on the screen

Originally Posted by slippahs
How is this any different than the "no waivers, no favors" attitude the airline takes to elite members now?
When you call the Platinum Elite line, for example at the beginning of a mechanical delay and ask to be "protected" on the next flight if the flight you are on is canceled, the agent won't help you. If what you are asking the elite CSR to do is not an "official benefit" they have been instructed not to ask supervisors for a waiver or to extend unofficial benefits to "suspected fraud" elite members.

Remember this "suspected Fraud" designation stays on your account profile for between 5-10 years.

There are numerous other situations where if discretion was used the elite line would do more for the pax. Not so with the "suspected Fraud" pax.

RC
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:12 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
Just curious how you know so much about "suspected fraud" I am not a world perks member...just curious.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Radiocycle
If what you are asking the elite CSR to do is not an "official benefit" they have been instructed not to ask supervisors for a waiver or to extend unofficial benefits to "suspected fraud" elite members.
RC thanks for the emphasis to your words.

Upon calling the elite line, I've never been able to get myself protected on another flight in case of a MX or a WX delay. Are you sure you're not receiving special benefits by being in the top 2% club? And, no, my account is not flagged for suspected fraud, AFAIK.

Phone agents have always been straight down the rules for me. No waivers, no favors seems almost like a mantra they read everytime I call.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:26 pm

I met with Worldperks/WC and NWA Management in November and we discussed it

Fraud and misuse of services is always a concern of any business, including NW.

The Worldclubs has very detailed information on club usuage, types of memberships utilizing each club, specific services utilized by member/club, food likes/dislikes, beer preferences by club, choc chip cookie consuption, etc.

I asked a follow-up question about Asian club members and learned that it is very easy for NW to identify a pax point of origin (home city) and if, for example the elite member uses a Michigan drivers liscense for identification(with an Asian Elite Card) that further confirms to the WC agent that they are a domestic member and that is noted.

Many FTers might not have been aware that this is monitored closely by NWA so I am passing this info on.

RC

Originally Posted by philfna
Just curious how you know so much about "suspected fraud" I am not a world perks member...just curious.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
RC thanks for the emphasis to your words.

Upon calling the elite line, I've never been able to get myself protected on another flight in case of a MX or a WX delay. Are you sure you're not receiving special benefits by being in the top 2% club? And, no, my account is not flagged for suspected fraud, AFAIK.

Phone agents have always been straight down the rules for me. No waivers, no favors seems almost like a mantra they read everytime I call.
I have asked the Elite line to protect me twice this year at the onset of MX delays and I was double booked, I had to ask, and the agent put me on hold, got a supervisor to look at my request, deemed it "reasonable" and did it.

You do have to ask, if you fly a lot, which I know you do, It isn't a a big deal for the Elite line CSR and an elite line supervisor to protect you in a MX or WX situation.

^ And seriously slippahs, you are a good ^ NW customer, and they want to keep you happy.

RC
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:40 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
thanks for info...very enlightening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.