Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TPE-KIX-DTW Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
TPE-KIX-DTW Experiences?

I'm flying TPE-KIX-DTW-MSP just after New Year, and am just curious about WBC services--I usually only fly SIN-NRT or BKK-NRT, which are much longer flights. A few questions:
1) How's the lounge in TPE? Is it a WorldClub and/or a nice lounge like in HKG, or a dumpy shared lounge like in BKK? E.g, in BKK I don't even bother going into Louis' tavern, while in HKG the BA lounge is really a classy place.
2) Is 90 minutes "safe", as a rule, for TPE security/immigration/check-in? In SIN 75 min is plenty, in MNL 2 hours can be tight... ahh, the shoe line-up!
3) Is there a full breakfast on the flight?
4) What is transit like in KIX? Lounge Access? Going thru security? Does everyone have to deplane, or can you remain onboard?
5) I usually take a seat upstairs, like 77A or 73A... I like window seats, and the quiet is nice, but can be a bit boring, too. I am booked in seat 10A for one or more of my long-hauls. Since it's such a long flight, it might be nice to stretch my legs a bit. But I'm worried about noise from coach, only about 4 rows away. Any opinions?

Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 1:53 am

I fly NW 69/70 once every 3 months.
1) NW uses China Airlines' (CI) Dynasty Lounge - hot food (including beef noodles), free wifi, and shower. Very nice.
2) 90 min should be fine, but not any closer for me. Even the WBC check-in line can be crazy sometimes. They may start boarding 45 minutes ahead. The CI lounge is an incentive to go a bit earlier. I usually leave the hotel in Taipei around 6:00 AM.
3) A hot brunch is served on the TPE-KIX leg.
4) Everyone disembarks at KIX. Nothing can be left on board. You go through security, go to the same gate, and board the same plane. The security line is quick, at least for WBC passengers (since you are off first). It is definitely easier than transit via NRT. There is a common use lounge across from Gate 16, with standard stuff and no wifi inside. You probably would not have more than 30 min for the lounge.
5) I have had good experience with all of them, 10A, 73A, and 77A. Just grab what you can.
Hope this helps.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by PTFlyer
I fly NW 69/70 once every 3 months.
1) NW uses China Airlines' (CI) Dynasty Lounge - hot food (including beef noodles), free wifi, and shower. Very nice.
2) 90 min should be fine, but not any closer for me. Even the WBC check-in line can be crazy sometimes. They may start boarding 45 minutes ahead. The CI lounge is an incentive to go a bit earlier. I usually leave the hotel in Taipei around 6:00 AM.
3) A hot brunch is served on the TPE-KIX leg.
4) Everyone disembarks at KIX. Nothing can be left on board. You go through security, go to the same gate, and board the same plane. The security line is quick, at least for WBC passengers (since you are off first). It is definitely easier than transit via NRT. There is a common use lounge across from Gate 16, with standard stuff and no wifi inside. You probably would not have more than 30 min for the lounge.
5) I have had good experience with all of them, 10A, 73A, and 77A. Just grab what you can.
Hope this helps.
Welcome to FT! I'm glad my questions got you to do your first post.
Thanks for the advice!
Your answers are really helpful.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by kyushuman
I'm flying TPE-KIX-DTW-MSP just after New Year, and am just curious about WBC services--I usually only fly SIN-NRT or BKK-NRT, which are much longer flights. A few questions:
1) How's the lounge in TPE? Is it a WorldClub and/or a nice lounge like in HKG, or a dumpy shared lounge like in BKK? E.g, in BKK I don't even bother going into Louis' tavern, while in HKG the BA lounge is really a classy place.
2) Is 90 minutes "safe", as a rule, for TPE security/immigration/check-in? In SIN 75 min is plenty, in MNL 2 hours can be tight... ahh, the shoe line-up!
3) Is there a full breakfast on the flight?
4) What is transit like in KIX? Lounge Access? Going thru security? Does everyone have to deplane, or can you remain onboard?
5) I usually take a seat upstairs, like 77A or 73A... I like window seats, and the quiet is nice, but can be a bit boring, too. I am booked in seat 10A for one or more of my long-hauls. Since it's such a long flight, it might be nice to stretch my legs a bit. But I'm worried about noise from coach, only about 4 rows away. Any opinions?

Thanks for any help.
This might be my most frequently traveled route internationally

1. For the early morning flight, I don't recall beef noodles being served that early. There might be BBQ pork buns and some dim sum stuff.
2. If you are checking in WBC, 90 minutes might be too much, I usually allow 60-75 minutes.
3. ditto
4. ditto
5. I would go upstairs, if you could. Your fears are legit. Sometimes the coach noise will be annoying and there's really nothing you can do about it as there is no door or soundproofing.

I have also met NW's best FAs on this flight, along with NW11.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL 1MM, UA 1K, PC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marrott Silver
Just a couple of additional comments.

While there is no WiFi in the lounge at KIX, there is free WiFi in the general terminal. I find the layover short enough that I often don't even go into the lounge. I just sit outside and do a quick e-mail sync.

Be careful to get to the gate on time. I don't think they always announce the flights. I almost missed my connection once! Of course I might have been concentrating on e-mail.

I don't find coach noise to be an issue in 10AB. But I do like the upstairs better. I found the hustle and bustle of the FAs moving through to be distracting, however.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:22 pm

Programs: Skyteam/Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold Preferred
In KIX there are free computers w/internet for anyone to use near most gates. The KIX-DTW segment is English/Japanese and serves 2 meals and a light snack while the TPE-KIX segment is Japanese/Mandarin/English and serves a meal in Y.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
1. For the early morning flight, I don't recall beef noodles being served that early. There might be BBQ pork buns and some dim sum stuff.
I have yet to miss the beef noodles in my last four NW 70 flights (the latest was on Nov. 25, 2006).
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
CI lounge

There are workstations with internet connection in CI lounge. When check in, you will be given a voucher for lounge admission.
How's your time in TPE so far. I am returning to the US on the 30th. The weather is much better than snowy Wisconsin.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:58 am

Note that Continental Presidents Club cards are not accepted at the TPE lounge, but are accepted at KIX and DTW.

I have generally been pleased with this route and have occasionally gotten operational upgrades, especially between KIX and TPE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.