Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

So long Ticket Counter Agents @ SYR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW SE; USAwys Gold

From my corporate travel department:

Syracuse Is One of Northwest Airline's Test Sites to Eliminate Ticket Counter Agents

**As of October 24, the Syracuse Hancock International Airport has become one of Northwest’s “test sites” to eliminate the ticket counter agents. There are supposedly 64 airport test sites. The Northwest Airport Manager is still on-site. United Airline agents at the airport are assisting Northwest passengers who need help checking in. So far, we have been told, things are running smoothly.**

I noted when I was flying from BUF last week, the gate agent was training up someone that was not a NWA employee. Airports themselves or FBO's will soon be providing the above/below wing services in lieu of airline employees. A further measure to cut costs. United handles a lot of it now at SYR so this was no real shock. Not like a lot of you fly to SYR, but I thought it was interesting at best. Gate agents will be next on the chopping block at these smaller airports or low service gates.

(I work in the airport planning, design, and operations industry- be prepared to see more of this as airlines put the squeeze on airports as a cost cutting measure).
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:17 am

Sad. I've dealt with the NW agents at SYR a number of times and they were very helpful each time. Combine a lack of NW employees with the he** that is SYR TSA...I shudder.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:30 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Gate agents or counter (ticket agents)? You used both in your OP.

I could see some counter agents going bye-bye, but I think it's a bad idea to not have a singe agent at the counter when people arrive to check in for their flight.

Even using the kiosk to check in, they still need some one to hand out luggage tags, weigh checked bags, help less than frequent travelers, sell tickets for future travel, change tickets, check passports for Visas after you swipe them at the kiosk, endorse tickets over to other carriers when flights are canceled, etc...
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Sad. I've dealt with the NW agents at SYR a number of times and they were very helpful each time. Combine a lack of NW employees with the he** that is SYR TSA...I shudder.
SYR gate agents were pulling multiple duties for a while (Check In Desk, Counter, JetWay, and loading/unloading bags). They were doing everything but fueling the DC9.

Their staff was always good to me and recognized me by first name (was there twice a month for a while). They will be missed.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:01 pm
myk

Programs: Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by AICPLanner
SYR gate agents were pulling multiple duties for a while (Check In Desk, Counter, JetWay, and loading/unloading bags). They were doing everything but fueling the DC9.

Their staff was always good to me and recognized me by first name (was there twice a month for a while). They will be missed.
Same here in ROC. Was always funny (sad?) to have one person check your bags, guide the airplane in with the flashlight wand things, move the jetbridge over, and then come to the gate to take tickets and board the plane. I'm not sure how much more blood they could get from that stone
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does United really have their own staff at SYR? It's looks like strictly regional carrier affiliates there for United and I would expect the staff is either regional carrier or outsourced.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
I remember this sort of operation from years ago when I used to fly Mesaba out of MLI. It was actually a great arrangement... when dealing with a few Dash 8 flights a day!
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:29 am

Programs: AA PLT, CO GLD, UA 1P, Marriott SLVR, SPG GLD...
And what's gonna happen when UA eliminates its agents at SYR?
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:48 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by diapickle
They'll be "last man standing" because they're bringing in hard cash to UA.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diapickle
We will see airports or a contracted service provider. Legacy costs are getting the best of these airlines.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I stated before, I don't believe there are United employees at SYR. Just look at the SYR website -- they list United Express, NOT United. In other words, they are outsourced by United -- just the same as NW is doing.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:45 am

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
The new definition of "service"

Originally Posted by MKEbound
Even using the kiosk to check in, they still need some one to hand out luggage tags, weigh checked bags, help less than frequent travelers, sell tickets for future travel, change tickets, check passports for Visas after you swipe them at the kiosk, endorse tickets over to other carriers when flights are canceled, etc...
Guess you haven't heard....this is the latest "vision" of NW management regarding the Airport Experience for their customers. While you will not be affected in MKE (for now) it definitely will affect you at numerous other airports that you might happen to pass through.

Only about 40 of the largest airports will continue to have actual NW employees taking care of customers and doing the "ground handling" of NW flights, including luggage services and parking/push-back of airplanes. The rest of the airports will all use contracted labor to provide these services, including the Counter and also at the Gates. The actual criteria used to determine the airports where NW employees remain, as determined earlier this year in the union negotiation process, are that the airport must have 50+ flights per week on mainline NW airplanes (not including any Mesaba or Pinnacle flights). Less than 50 flights....all of the NW employees are being terminated and replaced by lower paid contract labor. Depending on the city, these contracts are being awarded by bid to various other airlines and ground service operators.

As for the list of "ticket counter duties" you included, think again! The LAST THING that NW wants employees to do at the counter is to sell a ticket. The staff have been instructed to give people the 800 number and have them arrange their tickets over the phone with a Reservations Agent. The same is true for delayed or cancelled flights....there will be no one at the airport who knows how to take care of this. Again, passengers will be expected to call Reservations to have their issues resolved. For Elites, this will be no problem due to the dedicated PE/GE agents. However, for the other customers, I can hear it now: "We are sorry, but due to high call volume, we are unable to accept your call at this time. Please try again at a later time. Thank you for flying Northwest Airlines."

I have serious doubts, myself, about whether this is going to work. Only time will tell, but I shudder to think what will happen when the first big snow storm hits the Midwest this winter.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by AICPLanner

I love the small airports, where it's usually run by comair agents.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Update...

Flying from SYR to DTW, I bypassed the ticket counter but noted things appeared to be humming along with the new faces.

When the announcement for boarding was made for "First Class passengers..." there was the usual crush of non-first class flyers to the gate. It was a DC9- (8 FC seats) and suddenly there were 30 people in line (I counted). I know some were likley elites who didn't get the bump, but 30 of them? From Syracuse? He let at least 20 people board (again, I was counting). Finally the guy behind me yelled "Hey dude, are all those people flying in first class too?" The trainer halted the line and told the trainee about checking first class tickets. Hope they get it fixed for next weeks flight.

Not that I was desperate to sit in my seat, but I do enjoy that pre-flight cocktail after a long week. ^
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:02 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mrcimino1
Again, passengers will be expected to call Reservations to have their issues resolved. For Elites, this will be no problem due to the dedicated PE/GE agents. However, for the other customers, I can hear it now: "We are sorry, but due to high call volume, we are unable to accept your call at this time. Please try again at a later time. Thank you for flying Northwest Airlines."
As a CO Gold flying NW, what would I do? Am I calling the regular infinite-hold-time number, or is there a reciprocal agreement that gives me access to an elite line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.