Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Northwest Airlines' 787 (Dreamliner) Possible Routes [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver

As every one here knows, NW is getting 787s starting in '08. So I kinda started "dreaming" on the nonstop routes for these "Dreamliners" (pending NW is still in business in "08 )...in the order of my preference:

MSP - PVG
MSP - HKG
MSP - CDG
MSP - PEK
NRT - CAN
NRT - TPE

However, the likely routes...if I pretend to be NW's bean counters...in the order of likeliness:

JFK - NRT
DTW - PVG
DTW - ICN
DTW - PEK
BOS - NRT
IAD - NRT

Your ideas?

Last edited by PVGMSP; Apr 18, 2006 at 8:24 am
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:11 am

I agree that JFK-NRT is a done deal. I would actually expect that to be the first route with a 787. I would personally like to see DTW/MSP-BKK and DTW/MSP-AKL-SYD.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:15 am

NW needs another International destination besides AMS/NRT from MSP. I'd like to see a couple of new (or reinstated) MSP-Asia flights. But I think DTW will be getting them all, unfortunately...
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by humanoid94
I agree that JFK-NRT is a done deal. I would actually expect that to be the first route with a 787. I would personally like to see DTW/MSP-BKK and DTW/MSP-AKL-SYD.
N/S to BKK and SYD is possible...but to AKL is very unlikely...can't fill those WBC seats, although this Lord of Rings fan will score a WBC award seat on the first light there
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:21 am

Well I believe NW does still own the routes LAX-SYD. But I think it's via HNL.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by umguy
Well I believe NW does still own the routes LAX-SYD. But I think it's via HNL.
US-Australia have open skies and any carrier can fly any US-Australia route.

Unless NW receives more China frequencies, I would be suprised to see non-stop US-China service. NW has 29 weekly frequencies, which are all in use. Reallocation would require reduction in lucrative cargo service or moving all PEK/PVG flights to DTW.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:38 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
NW needs another International destination besides AMS/NRT from MSP. I'd like to see a couple of new (or reinstated) MSP-Asia flights. But I think DTW will be getting them all, unfortunately...
You say that like it's a bad thing...

Those of us that suffer through living near DTW need all the incentive we can get...

Steve B.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxf24
Unless NW receives more China frequencies, I would be suprised to see non-stop US-China service. NW has 29 weekly frequencies, which are all in use. Reallocation would require reduction in lucrative cargo service or moving all PEK/PVG flights to DTW.
I believe the US-China aviation agreement calls for more frequencies in the near future. UA is lobbying for SFO-CAN, CO for EWR-PVG, AA for ORD-PEK and DL for ATL-PEK. Don't know NW's plan...but they gotta have a plan for more flights to China, the fastest growing and 2nd largest economy in Asia, not to mention the gigantic population.

One thing I forgot - 787 n/s to India is also likely:
DTW - MUM
DTW - DEL

Last edited by PVGMSP; Apr 18, 2006 at 2:20 pm
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:38 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Remember that anything greater than ~ 10 hours flying time one way means it would take 2 planes to operate a route, unless you fly them to a hub (NRT) and work them like the current connections that NW does at NRT. Or you could put one on a racetrack and do something like JFK>NRT>SEA>NRT>JFK. Allowing 2 hours for turn around at NRT and SEA might just make this possible. Of course, if there were a significant delay anywhere along the way,.........

Scheduling should be fun.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:00 am

If the routes permitted, the planes themselves could just fly circle-trips. That might cut-down on some of the ground time at far away places. Ex: one plane goes MSP-NRT-SYD-MSP. Another plane goes MSP-SYD-NRT-MSP. Every other stop (at least) would be a hub and allow for equipment changes, crew changes, light mx work, etc.

Edit: or for a more realistic routing: 1st plane: MSP-PEK-DTW-PVG-MSP, 2nd plane: MSP-PVG-DTW-PEK-MSP.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxf24
US-Australia have open skies and any carrier can fly any US-Australia route.
A very common misconception. USA-Australia is open skies for CARGO, but not for Passenger/Combination service. Here's the State Department list of Open Skies agreements (note the location of OZ in the "Cargo-only" section):

http://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/othr/2006/22281.htm

USA-New Zealand is an open skies route - perhaps you were thinking of this one.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVGMSP
One thing I forgot - 787 n/s to India is also likely:
DTW - MUM
DTW - DEL
Add this one:

MEM - NRT
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:59 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Well... NWA has enuff direct frequencies now, they're just using them all for cargo...

The U.S. Department of Transportation recently (2004) awarded Northwest six additional weekly flights to China, for a total of eight. NWA Cargo anticipates using the new frequencies to add freighter service to Shanghai to meet the growing demand for heavy cargo between the United States and China.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by thezipper
Well... NWA has enuff direct frequencies now, they're just using them all for cargo...
Does NW actually book/fly the cargo, or just fly the cargo. Do they farm out the cargo handling duties to other contractors? Is most of their cargo just sub-contracted to USPS/UPS/FedEx? This is sort of an intersting subject, as I've shipped some things to ANC/AK, and discovered a lot about UPS air operations to AK/Korea because of a lost package.

But in regards to the thread... How about a non-stop to SYD, JNB, and HKG, with the motto "we'll fly to all corners of the earth... non-stop!"?

Steve B.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:28 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Not Asia, but
how 'bout MSP-TLV; though, I would assume you would want to wait and see how the Delta ATL-TLV service works out over the next few months. This is a definite growth area, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.